Spicy Chicken Flautas are a one of a kind fantastic meal idea. Deliciously seasoned, these chicken flautas are stuffed with my Crock Pot Spicy Chicken recipe as the base, two types of shredded cheese, then baked until crispy. These wrapped tortilla flautas are a simple recipe that everyone will love. And I mean everyone. Adjust the spiciness to your tastes and enjoy.
Easy Chicken Flautas Recipe
When you want to have to an incredible dinner idea or a simple appetizer, you have to make this spicy chicken flautas recipe. It is so delicious and easy to make, you will be making them all the time. Make extras to keep on hand in the freezer.
What are Chicken Flautas
Chicken Flautas are a simple and easy way to eat tortillas that are filled with a savory filling then rolled up and baked. In this case, the tortillas are filled with a spicy chicken filling that also includes cheese. These are so good that they will become one of your favorite go to recipes for a delicious appetizer or tasty dinner.
Are Flautas and Taquitos the Same Thing
Both taquitos and flautas are similar in the way that they are made. Both are filled with meat and cheese and then rolled up. Then they are baked or fried. The difference in a traditional taquito is made with a corn tortilla and flautas are usually made with flour. Flautas also tend to be slightly larger than taquitos.
Chicken and Cheese Flautas
The best thing about homemade recipes is that you get to tailor recipes to your tastes. If you want to make these without cheese, just omit the cheese. Also, if the recipe sounds like it might be a little too spicy, you can easily reduce the amount of cumin or Cajun seasoning that you add to the recipe.
If the flautas are too spicy even after they are made, use a dipping sauce, like ranch, or use sour cream to cut through the spiciness, without losing any of the flavor.
What to Serve with Flautas
I usually serve these as is, but you can serve these with any side like beans and rice, vegetables or a side salad. Fruit also makes a great side dish. And, usually with a side of guacamole, salsa or ranch as well. Any type of dipping sauce is great with chicken flautas.
Can you Freeze Chicken Flautas
There are 2 ways that you can freeze chicken flautas. You take the wrap, fill it and then roll up each one tightly. Freezing prior to being baked or even after are both great ways to freeze these flautas. I like to freeze them before baking so that they do not get over cooked or dried out once they are baked again.
Be sure to wrap each one well in plastic wrap, foil or even in wax paper before freezing. You can also keep them in an air tight container. You want to keep the wraps from getting freezer burn to keep them tasting their best. Flautas will last 3 to 6 months in the freezer as long as they are stored properly.
What Type of Tortillas Do I Need
I like to use flour tortillas when I make chicken flautas. You can use corn, but I prefer the texture of flour with this chicken.
Ingredients Needed To Make These Chicken Flautas
- Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- Cumin, Cajun seasoning
- Red pepper flakes, pepper
- Green enchiladas sauce
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Flour tortillas
(Actual measurements are in the recipe card below.)
How To Make Homemade Chicken Flautas
Basically, make the chicken recipe in the crock pot then shred the chicken. Add a few heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture to a flour tortilla. Add some shredded cheese and tightly roll up each tortilla and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Continue until you have the desired number of flautas needed. Give a quick spray (of non stick spray) to flautas and pop in the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, turn once during baking, and then serve with your favorite sides and dipping sauce. That’s it!
Try These Delicious Baked Flautas Today
Here are a few more delicious Mexican food recipes that can be found on the blog:
Spicy Chicken Flautas
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 15 oz cans green enchilada sauce
- 10 oz can Rotel®
- 2 tbsp diced jalapenos (if using fresh, remove ribs and seeds)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack, shredded
- 10-12 flour tortillas, 8 inch
For The Spicy Chicken
- Spray crock pot with non stick spray and place chopped onions on bottom.
- Add chicken breasts, garlic, seasonings, black pepper, jalapenos, Rotel® and green enchilada sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 8 hours or until meat shreds easily.
- Shred chicken and then using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from crock pot and place in a bowl.
Making The Flautas
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
- Place tortillas on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel and heat in microwave for 15 seconds.
- Add two or three tablespoons of chicken mixture to center of tortillas and add both types of cheese.
- Tightly roll and place seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Give a quick spray (with the non stick spray) over the filled tortillas and pop in the oven.
- Bake for 15 -18 minutes or until ends of tortillas are golden brown and tortillas are crispy, turning once during baking.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite pico de gallo, salsa, guacamole, sour cream or toppings of your choice.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.