These delicious pig shots are the ultimate appetizer recipe that is packed with flavor from the thick, crispy bacon, smoked sausage, cream cheese mixture, jalapenos, and a honey BBQ glaze that are oven-baked.
If you’ve never heard of pig shots, then get ready for a real treat. These delicious smoked sausage bites are loaded with flavor and make a delicious appetizer, unique lunch or dinner, or even an afternoon snack! Unlike many of my recipes, I only just started making this one a couple of months ago, and it’s been a big hit. I needed an appetizer for a party that I was attending, and I wanted to do something different. I had smoked sausage, but I didn’t want to do another pigs in a blanket recipe, so I decided on this recipe instead. They came out perfectly, and everyone loved them. And bonus – they were super easy to make! They are a bit messy but worth it.
This delicious appetizer is a meat lover’s dream. Smoked sausage and bacon are combined to make a little cup. Then, I add a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar, and jalapeno, adding it to the center of the cup. Finally, it’s baked to crispy, brown, bubbly perfection. Every single bite explodes with a huge blast of meaty goodness along with a creamy, spicy kick that pairs perfectly with the meat.
Why You’ll Love These Pig Shots
- They’re a delicious appetizer that everyone loves.
- They’re super easy to make, and they only use a few simple ingredients.
- The flavors are crispy bacon, smoked sausage, and the cream cheese jalapeno mixture work perfectly together.
Pig Shots Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious recipe. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
- Smoked sausage or kielbasa sausage
- Thick-cut bacon
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Slap Ya Mama
- BBQ sauce
- Brown sugar
- Jalapeno slices
How to Make Pig Shots
Making this recipe is incredibly easy. It only takes a few simple steps and a few minutes to make.
Step 1: Make the Sauce
Mix the BBQ sauce, honey, and brown sugar together in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Make the Cups
Cut the bacon in half. Take a half of a slice of bacon and wrap the bacon around the smoke sausages. Then, secure them with a toothpick or place them in a muffin tin.
Step 3: Make the Cream Cheese Mixture
Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, diced jalapeno, sharp cheddar, and seasonings together in a medium bowl.
Step 4: Add the Mixture to the Sausage Cups
Add the cream cheese mixture to a piping bag or a quart-size baggie and clip the bottom corner. Then, squeeze the cream cheese filling into each cup.
Step 5: Bake
Top each shot with a sliced jalapeno and then brush each one with the honey BBQ mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
Step 6: Enjoy
Carefully remove the shots from the muffin tin and enjoy!
Pig Shots Tips and Variations
These delicious appetizers are incredibly easy to make, but I do still have some tips to help make them even easier. I also have some great variations I think you’ll love.
- While you can use toothpicks to hold the bacon in place, a muffin tin works better and makes things much easier.
- Always use thick-cut bacon so it stands up when wrapped around the sausage. Thin-cut bacon will simply fold over.
- Always wear gloves and wash your hands after handling hot peppers. NEVER touch your face.
- For deeper pepper flavor, use diced poblanos.
- Use any variety of your favorite smoked sausage.
- You can use full-fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. They taste almost the same.
Cooking Methods for Pig Shots
This recipe is baked, but you can smoke, or air fry pig shots, as well.
To smoke pig shots, cook them in the smoker for 45 to 50 minutes at 300 degrees.
To air fry them, cook them for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
Pig Shots FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about pig shots.
What are pig shots?
They’re an appetizer consisting of a cup made with a smoked sausage base and bacon walls. The cup is then stuffed with a spicy cream cheese mixture and baked.
Can you make pig shots in the oven?
Absolutely. This recipe is for baked pig shots.
How do you cook pig shots?
You can bake, smoke, or air fry them.
Can pig shots be made in the air fryer?
Absolutely. Cook them for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
How long will pig shots last in the fridge?
Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Storage and Reheating
Store these in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To reheat them, place them in a muffin tin and bake them at 300 degrees for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Try These Delicious Pig Shots Today
These pig shots are so easy to make and so delicious. It’s the perfect combo for any appetizer! Bake them up like I did or smoke them on the grill or air fry them. It’s up to you! However you make them, they’re always delicious. These are perfect for appetizers, lunches, dinners, or even afternoon snacking, so there’s never a wrong time to make them. Take them to your next tailgate party. Give them a try once, and I know you’ll find yourself making them again and again.
More Delicious Appetizer Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Easy Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies – These delicious lit’l smokies are each wrapped in bacon, brushed with a honey barbecue brown sugar mixture and then baked until the bacon is crispy.
Deep Fried Crispy Jalapeños – If you are looking for a delicious appetizer that you will constantly crave, then these crispy jalapeños are it. Absolutely delicious and always a favorite.
Chicken Fried Steak Bites – This delicious bite-sized chicken fried steak recipe is incredibly delicious and is the perfect appetizer for gameday, tailgating and Super Bowl parties. And, it makes a delicious dinner too.
And, these Jalapeño Popper Pigs in a Blanket from Deliciously Seasoned are also the perfect appetizer recipe everyone will enjoy.
- 1 pound smoked sausage or kielbasa sausage, cut into ¾ inch chunks
- 12 ounce thick cut bacon
- 4 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 jalapeno, stem, seeds removed, diced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce (any brand)
- ⅛ cup honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- Jalapeno slices
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a small bow, mix BBQ sauce, honey and brown sugar together. Set aside.
- Cut bacon in half and wrap each piece of smoked sausage with a strip of bacon.
- Place into a muffin pan or use a toothpick to hold together and place on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, diced jalapeno, sharp cheddar cheese and seasoning together until combined.
- Add mixture to a quart size baggie and clip the corner.
- Squeeze cheese mixture onto the top of each sausage.
- Add a sliced jalapeno on the top and then brush each pig shot with the honey BBQ mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
- Carefully remove from the oven and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.