These Deep Fried Crispy Jalapenos are so delicious we just cannot stop eating them. Have you heard of fried dill pickles? Well, these are just like those but made with sliced jalapenos. So, if you are looking for the best crispy deep fried jalapeno recipe, look no further. You are going to love these crispy pieces of heaven. You will be surprised how easy these are to make.
Deep Fried Crispy Jalapeños
I love making crispy deep fried jalapenos as an appetizer or special snack. Make them as part of a get together or for a delicious game day treat. These definitely are a family favorite appetizer recipe that will be requested time and time again, they’re that good!
How to Properly Cut Jalapeno Peppers
When you are cutting these jalapenos, you want to make sure they are cut properly. For these fried jalapenos, you can leave the seeds in place or take them out. If you leave the seeds and ribs in place, this will make them hotter and spicier than if you remove them.
When you are cutting jalapenos, it is vital that you do not touch your eyes or nose while cutting them or until you have washed your hands thoroughly. If you do, you will find that it can hurt tremendously.
I recommend wearing gloves or holding the pepper with a paper towel in order to spare yourself. Be sure to wash your hands well, with soap and water. You might want to consider washing your hands 2 or 3 times since some people have mentioned that they can not get it all off just washing their hands once.
What if I Don’t Have Buttermilk
Buttermilk is great for recipes but a lot of times, people do not have it on hand and do not want to buy it for one recipe. If that is the case, do not let it discourage you from making this recipe.
If you do not have buttermilk, you can make a substitute. Using your measuring container, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Then fill the rest of the container with milk. Stir it together and let it sit until the milk start to curdle. You have just made a substitute for buttermilk.
What is Tempura
Tempura is a light and airy batter that is often used in Japanese foods. It is great for making these crispy and delicious fried jalapenos. If you have had fish and chips you have probably had a similar type of batter covered food.
What’s the difference between panko and breadcrumbs?
Panko is a Japanese style breadcrumbs that are made from a crustless bread. These crumbs tend to be airy flakes and much larger than traditional breadcrumbs. Panko is known for providing a better crunch since they do not absorb as much fat as regular breadcrumbs.
Can I use breadcrumbs instead of panko?
While panko crumbs are best, if you have no other choice, bread crumbs will work. However, you will notice a difference in the amount of crunch and crispiness in your fried jalapeno.
Are Jalapenos healthy?
So technically jalapenos are healthy and good for you. They are packed with vitamins and minerals. They are also low in calories and fat and filled with fiber. However, once you fry them, you are adding in calories and fat. But as a special treat, you can not go wrong with these.
Ingredients Needed to Make Deep Fried Crispy Jalapeños
- Panko bread crumbs
- Garlic salt
- Slap Ya Mama
- Ground black pepper
- Crushed red peppers
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Deep Fried Jalapeños
- Heat oil to 375° using a frying pan or an electric skillet.
- Using 3 shallow containers, place flour in the first one, buttermilk and egg whisked together in the second, and whisked together bread crumbs, tempura, garlic salt, Cajun seasoning, pepper and crushed red peppers in the third.
- Take a small handful of sliced jalapeños and place in flour. Coat with flour, shake off excess and then place into the buttermilk mixture.
- Next, using a slotted spoon, take jalapeños from the buttermilk mixture and transfer to the bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Place jalapeños into hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place jalapeños on a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Repeat process until all jalapeños have been deep fried.
- Enjoy these fried jalapeno slices with Ranch dressing, barbecue sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Try These Delicious Deep Fried Crispy Jalapenos Today
Here are a few more delicious appetizer recipes that can be found on the blog along with many others.
- Cheesy Jalapeño Cream Cheese Tots
- Cheesy Jalapeño Bacon Dip
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapeños
- Extra Crispy Jalapeño Lime Chicken Strips
Deep Fried Crispy Jalapenos
- 10 jalapenos, stem removed, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup tempura
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil
- Heat oil to 375° in a frying pan or an electric skillet.
- Using 3 shallow containers: place flour in the first one; buttermilk and egg whisked together in the second; bread crumbs, tempura, garlic salt, Cajun seasoning, pepper and crushed red peppers in the third.
- Take a small handful of sliced jalapeños and place in flour. Coat with flour, shake off excess and then place in buttermilk mixture.
- Next, using a slotted spoon, take jalapeños from buttermilk mixture and transfer to bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Carefully place sliced jalapeños into hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place jalapeños on a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat process until all jalapeños have been deep fried.
- Enjoy with Ranch dressing, barbecue sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission.
If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words. Only list the ingredients and make sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.
These look amazing. For the tempura, is the tempura batter mixed with liquid or just the powder tempura mix?
Great Grub, Delicious Treats
Thank you so much Joy! For this recipe, the tempura gets mixed in with the bread crumb mixture. I hope you enjoy this recipe. :)