Scalloped potatoes are so good and these cheesy garlic scalloped potatoes are even better. Loaded with three different types of cheese, garlic and sour cream, these are definitely some tasty taters! Totally scrumptious. A delicious potato casserole that’s incredibly satisfying and filling.
Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes – A family favorite
A great side dish, and with the holidays fast approaching, these cheesy garlic scalloped potatoes are perfect to serve with Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner or with any dinner for that matter. Totally homemade from scratch, these creamy, cheesy potatoes are comfort food at it’s best.
Full of delicious cheesy flavor, and with the crispy crunchy cheese topping, these cheesy garlic scalloped potatoes taste incredible. Even the pickiest eaters will enjoy these. Totally my go-to recipe for scalloped potatoes.
Makes the best cheese sauce
Imagine sinking your teeth into these soft, creamy, scalloped potatoes. Yum, yum! These scalloped potatoes are loaded with creamy, tender potatoes, 3 different cheeses and a cheese sauce that is absolutely scrumptious.
How To Make Scalloped Potatoes
Step 1: Preparing the Potatoes
Wash and peel potatoes. Slice potatoes 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Place potatoes in a large bowl of water until your are finished slicing them.
Step 2: Making the Cheese Sauce
In a large frying pan, melt butter and add onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, sprinkle with flour and cook for a few minutes longer. Next, pour broth, along with the seasoning, salt and pepper, and heavy cream into onion mixture. Stir until thickened then remove from heat just prior to boiling. Lastly, stir in 2 cups of cheddar cheese. And that’s the cheese sauce.
Step 3: Layering Scalloped Potatoes
Next, spray a large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Drain potatoes and start out by adding 1/3 of the potato slices to the bottom of the baking dish. Then add 1/3 of the sour cream, 1/3 of the cheese sauce and then 1/3 of the Parmesan, pepper jack and cheddar cheese. Once the first layer is complete, repeat two more times ending with cheddar cheese.
Step 4: Baking Scalloped Potatoes
Cover with foil, pop in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. About 15 minutes before removing from oven, remove the foil and crisp up the cheese a bit. That’s it! Time to enjoy these tasty cheesy potatoes.
Want a few more cheesy side dishes?
And here is a delicious Broccoli Mashed Potato Bake from Deliciously Seasoned, which is our new blog.
Try These Delicious Scalloped Potatoes Today
Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
- 5 lbs Russet potatoes sliced ⅛" thick
- 2 cups onions chopped small
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup butter (½ stick)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbs salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 8 oz sour cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese grated, divided
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese grated
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° and spray a 14 x 11½ x 2¼ baking dish with a non stick spray. Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes, approximately ⅛" thick. Place in a large bowl until ready to use.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over low flame then add onions and garlic. Saute for about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, stir and cook for a couple minutes.
- Gently pour vegetable broth into pan and stir, add salt and pepper, seasoning and heavy cream. Stir until thickened, remove from heat just prior to boiling and then add 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Stir.
- Layer ⅓ of the potato slices in baking dish then add ⅓ of the sour cream and ⅓ of the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Top with ⅓ of the Parmesan, ⅓ pepper jack cheese and ⅓ of cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layering 2 more times ending with cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and place in oven. Cook for 1½ – 2 hours.
- About 15 – 20 minutes prior to potatoes being done, remove foil to brown the cheese a bit.
- Remove from oven, let sit for about 15 minutes, then enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.