Salsa is a favorite among our household. This spicy salsa recipe was made by my beautiful daughter Halie. She did an excellent job and this salsa tastes delicious! There’s nothing better than a healthy snack. It’s so nice to be able to whip up some homemade salsa at any time. It’s definitely not hard and tastes great! No more buying store bought salsa for us!
Just place the chilies, onion, garlic, and tomatillos on a foil lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for twenty minutes, turning once during cooking time. Then peel the onion and garlic, remove the seeds from the chilies and place everything in the food processor, along with the cilantro, lime juice and tomatoes, and pulse away! You are about to enjoy some delicious homemade spicy salsa in no time.
If you like your salsa on the hotter side, just add some of the seeds from the chilies in with the rest of the ingredients. Make sure to taste test it first. Those little seeds pack a huge punch when it comes to spicy! I had made some salsa a while ago and it was SO spicy. I love spicy salsa, but even this was a bit much, so be careful when adding in the seeds of these hot chilies. Make sure to chill before serving.
We also made our own homemade corn tortilla chips. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, put the corn tortillas on the baking sheets and place in the oven at 400° for about 13-15 minutes. You might need to leave them in the oven for a couple more minutes depending on how crispy you want your tortilla chips.
Great job Halie!
Spicy Salsa with Baked Corn Chips
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Peel tomatillos, rinse and rub sticky coating off tomatillos.
- Place tomatillos, onion halves, garlic, chilies on baking sheet (no need to peel onion or garlic before roasting).
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes, turning once.
- Once roasting is complete, peel garlic and onion.
- Add tomatillos, onion and garlic to food processor and pulse.
- Cut and remove seeds from chilies.
- Add chilies to food processor. Pulse.
- Add cilantro, lime juice, diced tomatoes and pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Salt to taste.
For Baked Corn Chips
- Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Cut each tortilla into 6 triangle pieces.
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 400°.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until chips are crispy.
Salsa adapted from: She Wears Many Hats
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.