This green beans and potatoes recipe is a delicious side dish recipe loaded with fresh green beans, baby potatoes, kielbasa sausage, and bacon, and is the perfect comfort food recipe the whole family will enjoy.
If you love green beans and potatoes, then do I have a dish for you! This recipe combines the classic vegetable combo with zesty seasonings, smoky kielbasa sausage, and bacon! It all comes together to create a dish that makes a perfect main course or addition to any potluck or party. I’ve been making this type of recipe for years, and when I bring it to any event, I always leave with an empty dish!
Green Beans and Potatoes
This recipe is a classic that I’ve kicked up with even more flavor. It starts with fresh green beans and baby potatoes that I cut into quarters. I fry the bacon, cook the kielbasa, and then cook the onions in the same pot for extra flavor. After that, I combine it all with green beans, baby potatoes, chicken broth, and seasonings and cook until the veggies are nice and tender. The result is a dish that’s loaded with flavor and texture and that didn’t take a million years to make. It doesn’t get better than that!
Why You’ll Love This Green Beans and Potatoes Recipe
- It’s easy to make and only requires simple ingredients and steps, and can be on the table in no time.
- It’s versatile and can be customized to your liking by adding different vegetables, spices, and herbs.
- It is the perfect side dish for any occasion and it is a delicious comfort food recipe that will be requested over and over again.
Green Beans and Potatoes Ingredients
This recipe uses a few simple ingredients that you’ll easily find at your local grocery store. It only takes a quick trip to get everything you need.
- Fresh green beans
- Baby potatoes
- Kielbasa sausage
- Cloves garlic
- All purpose flour
- Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- Smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- Chicken broth
How to Make Green Beans and Potatoes with Sausage and Bacon
This recipe is as easy to make as it is to shop for. In just a few simple steps, you’ll have a hearty dish that everyone will come back for again and again.
Step 1: Cook the Bacon
Fry the bacon in a Dutch oven until crispy. Then, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
Step 2: Cook the Kielbasa
Add the kielbasa to the Dutch oven and cook until browns. Then, transfer it to the plate with the bacon.
Step 3: Cook the Onions
Add the butter, onions, garlic, and seasonings to the same Dutch oven, sprinkle with flour, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Step 4: Deglaze
Pour ½ cup of the chicken broth into the pot and deglaze to get all the browned bits off of the bottom.
Step 5: Cook the Green Beans and Potatoes
Add the green beans, potatoes, and the remaining chicken broth to the Dutch oven, cover, and let cook for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Add the bacon and sausage, stir. Salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
- Cook everything in the same Dutch oven, and don’t drain. The grease from the bacon and sausage gives everything else so much flavor!
- Cook the dish until the potatoes are just tender. You don’t want them mushy, just soft.
- Add the sausage and bacon to the dish after everything else has cooked so the bacon stays crispy.
- Add some red pepper flakes for a kick of heat.
- You can use any kind of kielbasa sausage you like for this recipe. There are a ton of varieties.
- Use your favorite bacon for this recipe. It all works!
- Add Italian sausage in place of kielbasa for a different flavor.
- Russet, red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes all work with this recipe.
What to Serve with Green Beans and Potatoes
This heart dish is a complete meal all on its own. I recommend serving it with something simple like bread and butter, garlic bread, and/or a simple salad. If you’re serving a crowd, you can use this as a side dish and pair it with your favorite beef, chicken, or pork recipes, as well.
Green beans are a great bean to toy with because their mild flavor pairs so well with so many other flavors. Some ideas include:
Green beans and potatoes make a great side dish for almost any beef, chicken, or pork recipe.
Whether you’re making a casserole or just a plate for breakfast, quality bacon is always going to be the best choice. The most consistently ranked top bacon brands include:
North Country Smokehouse
Absolutely. It freezes very well and will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Store and Reheat Green Beans and Potato Leftovers
Store these green beans and potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat, them, place them in a baking dish with a bit of water, cover, and bake at 350 until heated through.
Try This Delicious Green Beans and Potatoes Recipe Today
With tender potatoes and green beans, smoky kielbasa, and smoky crispy bacon, this is one recipe that will have everyone coming back to the dish for more. It’s super flavorful and so easy to make that it’s perfect for weeknight dinners, parties, or potlucks. No matter where or when you serve it, everyone will devour it. Give it a try!
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Sausage and Potatoes – A hearty recipe loaded with chunks of potatoes, sausage, and is creamy and cheesy.
Green Beans and Potatoes with Sausage and Bacon
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes, cut in quarters (might not need all of them)
- 8 slices bacon, cut into pieces, fried until crispy
- 16 ounce fresh green beans, snap off the ends and cut in half, rinse with cold water.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups chicken broth, divided
- In a Dutch oven add bacon and fry until crispy. Remove and add to paper plate lined with paper towels.
- Add kielbasa and cook until browned. Remove and add to the plate with bacon.
- Add butter, onions garlic, and seasonings, stir and sprinkle with flour. Stir until combined and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour ½ cup of chicken broth into the pan, stir and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the green beans, potatoes and remaining chicken broth to the pan, cover and let cook for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Finally, add the bacon and sausage back to the pan, stir and serve.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.