This sweet potato green bean casserole with smoked sausage is a hearty and delicious meal that is seasoned perfectly. Made with tender sweet potatoes, fresh green beans, smoked sausage, onions, and garlic, this is the perfect weeknight dinner.
Sweet Potato Green Bean Casserole
If you love sweet potatoes and you love green bean casserole, then this is the recipe for you. This delicious dish combines sweet potatoes, green beans, and smoked sausage to create a dish with a ton of delicious flavor without a ton of work. I discovered this dish about a year ago, and since then, I’ve made it for several dinners and potlucks, and I even brought a batch to both our Thanksgiving and Christmas get-togethers. It’s that delicious and that versatile. It’s the perfect dish for any occasion! And did I mention it’s delicious? Once you try it, I think you’ll agree.
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Green Bean Casserole with Sausage
This casserole combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes, delicious, fresh green beans, smoked sausage, onions, garlic, and spices to create a delicious dish full of complex flavors that are so easy to combine. This recipe comes together quickly, but it tastes like it probably took hours. Every bite explodes with sweetness, garden-fresh flavor, smokiness, and just the right amount of heat thanks to the Slap Ya Mama seasoning and red pepper flakes. It’s hearty enough for a main dish, but it’s also perfect for multi-dish gatherings like potlucks and holidays. There’s just never a wrong time to serve it.
Why You’ll Love This Sweet Potato and Green Beans Recipe
- It’s absolutely delicious. Simple flavors come together easily to create a dish with deep, complex flavor.
- It’s incredibly easy to make, taking very little time to put together.
- And, it’s a perfect dish because it’s hearty enough to be a meal but also full of the flavors that make a great side.
Tips and Substitutions
This is a fairly simple recipe, but I do have a couple of tips to help you make it the best it can possibly be. I have some great variations, as well, that will help you make it exactly the way you like it.
- Always cook your sausage with water in the pan. The water helps the center of the sausage cook as you brown the outside.
- Be sure to secure your foil to the baking dish tightly so it traps in the steam while the casserole cooks.
Substitutions and Additions
- You can use your favorite smoked sausage or kielbasa interchangeably.
- If you don’t like spicy food, feel free to omit the red pepper flakes.
- You can use wax beans in addition to green beans in this casserole.
- And, you can add sliced mushrooms.
Sweet Potato Green Bean Casserole FAQ
If you have questions about this sweet potato green bean casserole, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this dish.
Can this sweet potato green bean casserole be made in advance?
Yes, you can. Unlike regular potatoes, sweet potatoes won’t turn brown when peeled.
Can you freeze this casserole?
Yes, you can. If freezing the whole casserole, wrap the casserole in the original baking dish tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, then again in foil and freeze for up to 3 months. If freezing leftovers, place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Sweet Potato Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious recipe. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Large sweet potato
- Smoked sausage, or kielbasa sausage
- Fresh green beans
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Yellow onion, diced
- Cloves garlic, minced
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
How to Make Sweet Potato Green Bean Casserole
Making this casserole is just as easy as the ingredient list. A few simple steps are all it takes!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Combine the Potatoes and Green Beans
In a large bowl, add the sweet potatoes, green beans, oil, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, garlic powder, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir to coat.
Step 3: Cook the Sausage
In a large frying pan or large skillet, add the sausage and water. Cook over medium-high heat until the sausage has browned on both sides and most of the water has evaporated. Then, add the sausage to the bowl of vegetables.
Step 4: Cook the Onions and Garlic
Melt butter in the same pan over medium heat. Then, add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent. Add them to the bowl with the sweet potato mixture.
Step 5: Bake
Transfer the ingredients from the bowl to the baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Enjoy!
Try This Delicious Green Bean Sweet Potato Casserole Today
This easy, delicious green bean sweet potato casserole is absolutely delicious and so easy to make. Whip it up for a delicious meal on a weeknight or bring it to your next potluck or holiday get-together for an amazing side that everyone will love. No matter where or when you decide to serve this dish, one thing’s for sure – everyone will love it. Give it a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Sausage Kielbasa Green Beans – This green bean recipe is a delicious side dish that is super flavorful and is great to add to the dinner rotation with almost any meal.
Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes – These delicious tender scalloped potatoes are loaded with three different types of cheese, garlic and sour cream. So good and a family favorite.
Bhuller’s Baked Beans – This delicious baked bean recipe is packed with flavor and is made with multiple types of beans, bacon, onions and more and is great for summer barbecues, potlucks and as a side dish to serve with beef, chicken, pork and fish.
And, this Cajun Buttered Corn on the Cob from Deliciously Seasoned is super delicious as well.
Sweet Potato Green Bean Casserole with Smoked Sausage
- 1 pound smoked sausage or Kielbasa sausage, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into ¾ – 1 inch pieces
- 12 ounce pkg fresh green beans, cut in half
- ⅛ cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400° and spray a 9×13 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a large bowl, add sweet potatoes, green beans, oil, Slap Ya Mama® seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir to coat.
- In a large frying pan or cast iron skillet, add sausage and water. Cook over medium high heat until sausage has browned on both sides and most of the water has evaporated.
- Remove sausage from pan and add to large mixing bowl.
- Using the same pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, then add to the bowl with the sweet potato mixture.
- Lastly, empty the bowl into the prepared baking dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Carefully remove from the oven and enjoy!
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.
Where do u buy the Slap your Mama seasoning?
Great Grub, Delicious Treats
Hi Madeline, you can get it at Walmart, most grocery stores and even online at Amazon. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)