These potato tacos are just like Taco Bell’s spicy potato soft tacos that can be made at home. Crispy air-fried potatoes are combined with shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, and chipotle sauce. Absolutely delicious and so easy to make. A quick and easy weeknight dinner the whole family will enjoy.
If you love the spicy potato soft tacos at Taco Bell as much as I do, then you’re going to be quite happy with this recipe. I absolutely love anything from Taco Bell, but their potato tacos are something that I’ve fallen head over heels in love with. Because I don’t like to wait, and I love to cook, I decide to make my own version that I can have any time I feel like it. The results are far better than I expected. These tacos are actually better than the original if you ask me.
These potato tacos start with diced russet potatoes that I season and air fry until golden and crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Then, I load them up into a flour tortilla along with cheese, lettuce, and chipotle sauce. The result is a taco-licious potato dish that no one can stop eating. They’re so easy to make and loaded with flavor that they’re perfect for any occasion.
Why You’ll Love This Potato Taco Recipe
- They are easy to make, and the only cooking is air frying the potatoes and heating up the tortillas.
- They’re a healthier way to enjoy tacos, and healthier than traditional fried tacos as it uses less oil.
- They taste like Taco Bell’s spicy potato soft tacos, but better. If you’re a fan of Taco Bell’s potato tacos, you’ll love this recipe. The air-fried potatoes have a similar crispy texture to Taco Bell, and the seasoning is just right.
Potato Tacos Ingredients
This recipe only uses a few simple ingredients, and most of them are in your kitchen right now. Everything on this list, from the potatoes to the chipotle sauce can be found in any grocery store.
- Russet potatoes, peeled, diced into small pieces
- Olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Flour tortillas, taquito size
- Shredded lettuce
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Taco Bell® Creamy Chipotle Sauce
How to Make Potato Tacos
Making these tacos takes just about 40 minutes from start to finish, so they fit perfectly into any schedule. You’ll be all done in no time.
Step 1: Soak the Potatoes
Soak the diced potatoes in a large pot or large bowl of water for 10 minutes. Then, drain the potatoes and pat them dry.
Step 2: Season and Air Fry
Toss the potatoes with the seasonings, add olive oil, and toss again. Then, air fry the potatoes in a single layer at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, giving the basket a good shake about 10 minutes in.
Step 3: Make the Tacos
Heat the tortillas over medium heat. Then, spread a bit of chipotle sauce on the tortilla. Add the diced potato mixture, cheese, lettuce, and more chipotle sauce on top. Fold and enjoy!
- Shake the air fryer basket vigorously about halfway through cooking to toss around the potatoes for more even cooking and browning.
- It’s very important to soak the potatoes before air frying them to get them nice and crispy.
- Heating the tortillas makes them more pliable and tastes better, too!
- Yukon gold potatoes work well for this recipe.
- Add some cooked ground beef or chorizo to these tacos for an extra kick of flavor.
- You can use any kind of tortilla you like for this recipe. There are several! Corn tortillas are delicious too.
What to Serve with Potato Tacos
These zesty potato tacos make the perfect addition to any Mexican spread. Serve them up as part of a larger meal alongside your favorites like:
- Mexican rice
- Spanish rice
- Black beans
Potato tacos are essentially regular tacos with potatoes replacing the beef. They’re full of crispy potatoes, cheese, lettuce, and spices just like regular tacos.
You can find Taco Bell chipotle sauce in grocery stores, big box stores like Walmart, and online.
Taco Bell potato tacos are made with fried crispy potatoes, cheddar cheese, lettuce, and their spicy chipotle sauce.
Potato tacos are a traditional Mexican dish made of crispy fried potatoes, cheese, and hot sauce. The Americanized version often features lettuce, chipotle sauce, and other condiments.
Yes, for oven baked diced potatoes, preheat oven to 400° and place diced potatoes in a bowl, toss with oil and seasonings, then spread potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
For optimal flavor and freshness, store the ingredients separately in their own containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Then, reheat the potatoes in the air fryer for a few minutes at 400 to heat them up and get them crispy again and construct the tacos according to the recipe directions above.
Try This Delicious Potato Tacos Recipe Today
These potato tacos inspired by Taco Bell’s potato tacos are full of flavor, so easy to make, and even better than the originals. They come together quickly, so they’re perfect for a Mexican dinner or to whip up in batches for parties and potlucks. There’s really no wrong time to enjoy them, as you’ll see as soon as you make them. Give them a try, and get ready to fall in love!
More Delicious Taco Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Here are some delicious Pulled Pork Tacos that are absolutely delicious and made with leftover pulled pork. An easy and delicious taco recipe the whole family will enjoy.
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled, diced into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 flour tortillas. taquito size
- 8 ounce shredded lettuce
- 2-3 cups sharp cheddar cheese. shredded
- 12 ounce Taco Bell® Creamy Chipotle Sauce. (only used about ½ bottle)
- Place diced potatoes in a large bowl of water and let soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain, pat day and return bowl.
- Add seasonings, stir to combine.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil.
- Cook in a single layer in the air fryer basket at 400° for 20-25 minutes. Give it a shake after 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Heat tortillas over medium heat.
- Spread a little Chipotle sauce onto the tortilla.
- Add diced potatoes, cheese, lettuce, and drizzle more Chipotle sauce on top.
- Enjoy with your favorite sides.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.