These M&M chocolate chip cookies are a delicious homemade cookie recipe made with the rich, nutty depth of flavor of brown butter cookie dough, loaded with mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms, and baked until the edges are crispy and the center is soft and chewy. A favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe the whole family will enjoy.
I love chocolate chip cookies. On their own, they’re delicious, but they also make a wonderful base for other cookie recipes, as well. The beauty of them is that you can simply add in other mix-ins to create all kinds of new cookie variations, and they’re always delicious. One of my favorite variations is M&M chocolate chip cookies. With just one extra ingredient, I get colorful cookies that are loaded with chocolate flavor inside all that soft, chewy baked cookie dough! I’ve been making this variation for years, and I’ll continue making them until I can’t bake anymore. They’re just such a classic!
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
These delicious cookies start with a brown butter chocolate chip cookie dough base loaded with semi-sweet mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms. I chill the dough and bake the cookies until they’re just brown on the edges. After that – and this is key – I let them cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes to finish baking to perfection and transfer them to a wire rack to cool. That’s all there is to it! And when I’m all done, I have soft, chewy cookies absolutely overflowing with chocolate chips and M&Ms! They’re perfect for dessert, afternoon snacking, or parties.
Why You’ll Love This M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- They are easy to make and are perfect for any occasion.
- You get a double dose of chocolatey goodness by combining mini M&Ms and mini chocolate chips which creates the perfect combination for all the chocolate lovers.
- They can easily be customized to create your own perfect balance of flavors.
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple basic baking ingredients to make these cookies, and chances are you probably have most if not all of them in your kitchen right now. Out of all the ingredients here, the mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms might be the only things have have to shop for, and they’re both in the same aisle!
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Large egg + extra egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
- Sour cream
- Mimi M&M candies
- Semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
How to Make M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
Making these cookies is as simple as any other chocolate chip cookie recipe. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps from start to finish!
Step 1: Brown the Butter
Brown the butter over medium heat in a frying pan, stirring constantly until the butter turns an amber color. Remove it from the heat immediately, pour it into a medium bowl, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Add the brown sugar and sugar to the butter and stir until combined. Then, add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and sour cream to the mixture and beat with an electric mixer until combined.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
Step 4: Make the Cookie Dough
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beating on low speed until combined. Then, stir the mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms into the dough.
Step 5: Chill
Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes to an hour.
Step 6: Bake
Scoop out the dough with a 1-inch cookie scoop and roll into balls. Then, place the cookie dough balls on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 to 11 minutes at 350 until the edges start to brown.
Step 7: Cool
Remove the cookies and let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Browned butter should be a golden amber color, not brown. Contrary to the name, browned butter that is actually brown is burned.
- Fold the chips and M&Ms into the batter with a spatula for the most even distribution.
- It’s important to chill the dough before baking when using brown butter. Chilling will control the spread of the dough while the cookies bake.
- Be sure to stir your butter constantly while browning it to maintain even heat distribution.
- You can use full-size chocolate chips and M&Ms for chunkier cookies.
- I used only red M&Ms, but feel free to use all the colors for more colorful cookies.
- You can use full-fat Greek yogurt if you don’t have sour cream.
- Chopped pecans or walnuts make a great addition to the cookies.
What to Serve with M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
Enjoy these cookies the old-fashioned way with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. They’re also delicious when paired with some ice cream or dipped in a rich, creamy, and sweet dessert dip.
M&Ms actually do melt, but the hard candy shell keeps all that chocolate in one place, making the inside soft but not runny.
Chilling cookie dough hardens the butter in the dough. This makes the butter melt more slowly and reduces the spread of the cookies. This is particularly important in cookie doughs that use brown butter, as baking the dough directly after mixing would result in super thin cookies.
Cookies that have a high moisture content or use melted fat like brown butter should be chilled for a minimum of about an hour before baking to control the spread of the dough. If you don’t chill the dough enough, your cookies will bake up super wide and flat.
If your first batch of cookies comes out flat, chill the dough for another hour to ensure the butter is nice and cold inside the dough.
How to Store Leftover Chocolate Chip Cookies
Store these cookies for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, wrap the cookies individually in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Try These Delicious M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies Today
These soft, chewy M&M chocolate cookies are loaded with chocolate flavor inside a soft, chewy cookie, and they’re so easy to make! The recipe comes together quickly, and when you’re all done, you’ll have a batch of super soft and chewy cookies that has everyone coming back for more. Give them a try and get ready to fall in love!
More Delicious Cookie Recipes You’ll Enjoy
These Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies are a classic favorite cookie recipe that are easy to make and are delicious for any occasion, and one the whole family will enjoy.
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a frying pan, brown butter over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter turns an amber color. Remove from heat as soon as the butter starts to brown.
- Pour browned butter into a medium bowl and set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and sugar into the brown butter. Stir until combined.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and sour cream to the brown butter mixture until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together. Gradually add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat on low speed until combined.
- Stir mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms into cookie dough.
- Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45-1 hours.
- Using a 1 inch cookie scoop, roll cookie dough and place on ungreased baking sheet(s).
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Remove from the oven, let sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest