This irresistible Texas toast grilled cheese recipe elevates this classic comfort food to new heights of culinary delight. A tantalizing blend of butter, Parmesan, and garlic salt is spread over one side of the bread, creating a rich and savory foundation, then is fried to golden perfection and loaded with sharp cheddar cheese that melts to gooey perfection. The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich the whole family will enjoy.
They say everything is bigger in Texas, and I took that to heart when I made this recipe quite a few years ago. I’ve always loved grilled cheese, and I realized that Texas toast was the perfect way to easily kick my grilled cheese sandwiches up several notches. That thick, garlicky bread all loaded up with melty cheese? MmmMMMM. You just can’t beat it. I know because every time I make these sandwiches, they disappear. I love to serve them with homemade tomato soup for a rich, hearty meal that’s a substantial upgrade from white bread grilled cheese and canned tomato soup.
Texas Toast Grilled Cheese
This hefty, hearty grilled cheese starts with thick-cut Texas toast bread. I slather it with a butter, parmesan, and garlic salt mixture, top with sharp cheddar cheese, and cook it over medium-low heat until the cheese is melted, and the bread it golden and toasty on the outside. It’s made like any other grilled cheese, but it’s so much heartier and delicious. It’s perfect for dinners, snacks, parties, or any time you get a craving. And, it’s simply easy and delicious, and you can’t beat that!
Why You’ll Love This Texas Toast Grilled Cheese Recipe
- They are easy to make and are made with just a few simple ingredients, and are perfect for a quick and satisfying meal.
- The thick Texas toast bread is perfect for making grilled cheese, and it’s sturdy enough to hold up to the gooey cheese and buttery mixture.
- The butter, Parmesan, and garlic mixture adds extra flavor and richness to the grilled cheese. The Parmesan adds a salty and umami flavor, while the butter makes the bread crispy and golden brown.
- Sharp cheddar cheese is the perfect choice to use because it’s flavorful, and melts beautifully.
Texas Toast Grilled Cheese Ingredients
It only takes 5 simple ingredients to make this delicious grilled cheese, and you can find them all at your local grocery store. Like any grilled cheese, there’s nothing fancy here!
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt or garlic powder
- Texas toast bread
- Sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Texas Toast Grilled Cheese
Making this grilled cheese is no more difficult than any other grilled cheese recipe. The only extra step is making the garlic parmesan butter. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Make the Garlic Butter
Beat the butter in a medium bowl until creamy. Then, add the grated parmesan cheese and garlic salt and mix until combined.
Step 2: Butter the Bread
Spread a layer of butter mixture on one side of the thick-sliced bread slices and place it in a preheated skillet, frying pan or griddle, butter side down.
Step 3: Cook
Top the bread with a slice of cheese and another slice of bread with the butter side up. Cook until golden brown, flip, and cook until the other side is brown and the cheese melts.
- Fully soften the butter before whipping it to adequately combine everything.
- Cook the bread over medium-low heat and no higher so you don’t burn the bread.
- Only flip the sandwiches once for the best color and texture.
- Defrost frozen garlic Texas toast if you don’t want to make your own butter mixture.
- You can add your favorite sliced meat for a meat and cheese grilled cheese.
- Use your favorite cheese or a combination of cheeses on these grilled cheese sandwiches.
What to Serve with Texas Toast Grilled Cheese
This delicious grilled cheese sandwich is perfect with everything you’d normally serve any other grilled cheese sandwich with. Try these with:
- A simple salad
- Tomato soup
- Creamy tomato soup
- Tomato basil soup
- Chicken noodle soup
- Your favorite appetizers
You should always preheat the pan for grilled cheese for proper cooking and toasting.
You can do quite a bit with a simple grilled cheese to make it more flavorful. Some great options include:
Use a different kind of bread for various textures.
Use your favorite cheeses alone or in combination with one another.
Add your favorite herbs.
Add your favorite sliced meats to the sandwiches.
Cook your grilled cheese on medium-low to medium heat. This ensures that the outside of the sandwich is crispy and toasted without burning by the time the inside is melted and gooey.
Any bread will work well, but sourdough is generally considered to be the reigning king of breads for grilled cheese sandwiches.
The Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese
There is no one best cheese for grilled cheese, and it’s all a matter of personal preference. That being said, there are a few cheeses that people tend to choose more than other for their grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Monterey Jack
- Colby Jack
- American Cheese
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Grilled Cheese
Cool the sandwiches and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. Then, refrigerate them for up to 3 days. For longer storage, wrap them in a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil. Then, freeze them for up to a month.
To reheat grilled cheese, put a bit of butter in the bottom of a pan and heat it over medium heat. Then, heat the grilled cheese sandwiches on each side until heated through and crisp. You can also air fryer them at 325 degrees for 2 to 4 minutes.
Try This Delicious Texas Toast Grilled Cheese Today
This Texas toast grilled cheese sandwich recipe is hearty and cheesy with tons of delicious garlic flavor, and is the ultimate, best grilled cheese sandwich. It’s an easy recipe to make, and it takes grilled cheese to an entirely new level. When served with homemade tomato or chicken soup, this is a grilled cheese sandwich that satisfies like no other. Give it a try, and I know you’ll make it a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
More Delicious Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
This Fried Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwich is absolutely a delicious and hearty breakfast sandwich that combines two favorites into one scrumptious breakfast recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Texas Toast Grilled Cheese
- In a medium bowl, beat butter until creamy.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese and garlic salt. Mix until combined
- Spread a layer of butter mixture on one side of the bread.
- Place each slice of bread, buttered side down, in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of the bread and top with another slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until golden, then flip over and cook the other side until golden.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.