This Brisket Grilled Cheese is absolutely delicious and a great way to use leftover beef brisket. Two favorites recipes in one, beef brisket and grilled cheese. Comfort food at its finest. A hearty sandwich recipe the whole family is going to enjoy!
I’m a huge fan of brisket. Here in Texas, it’s everywhere. It’s one of the most iconic barbecue cuts there is. In Texas, where barbecue and Tex-Mex run neck and neck for popularity, you see brisket around every corner, so it’s been a part of my life since moving to Texas. I love to make brisket, and I do it quite often. One of the big reasons I love brisket is because it’s so much fun to play with it when I have leftovers.
Brisket Grilled Cheese
I love making creative recipes with my leftover brisket. From adding it to mac and cheese to stuffing baked potatoes with it and, yes, making grilled cheese sandwiches. Brisket is such a delicious cut of beef, there’s really nothing I won’t do with it. This brisket grilled cheese is one of my favorite ways to use up my leftover brisket, and I think that if you try it, it will be one of your favorites, too.
It starts with buttered Texas thick style bread. I take that bread, and I top it with Colby Jack cheese, barbecue brisket and another slice of cheese and I pop it in a pan and grill it all up to golden, crispy perfection on the outside, and hot gooey, barbecued deliciousness on the inside. Every bite is absolutely fantastic and filled with cheesy, barbecue flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Brisket Grilled Cheese
There are so many reasons to love this recipe. Of course, it’s delicious, but that’s just the beginning. If you give this recipe a try, you’ll find your own reasons to love it, but here are mine.
- It’s so good and so easy to make using leftover beef brisket. These grilled cheese sandwiches are loaded with brisket so they’re a real leftovers buster.
- It only takes a few ingredients to make this recipe, so it’s soooo easy.
- Speaking of easy, it’s a fast recipe, so it’s convenient.
- It’s one of my favorite grilled cheese sandwiches of all time, and if you make it, it will be one of yours, too!
Tips and Variations
This is such an easy recipe to make, but I still have a couple of tips to help make it the best it can possibly be. I also have some great variations that will help you mix things up to keep it fresh or simply keep you from having to make a special trip to the grocery store.
- Always make your grilled cheese on medium heat. That’s the perfect temperature to ensure that the bread comes out golden and crispy and the inside of the sandwich is hot and gooey.
- Make one grilled cheese sandwich at a time. This allows the pan to hold its heat, making the cooking even.
- Use your favorite thick, substantial bread. Options like Texas toast, brioche, and the like are all winners.
- I use Colby Jack for my brisket grilled cheese, but any favorite cheese will work. Other great options are cheddar cheese, mozzarella, Monterey jack cheese, and cheddar jack. I’ve even use Mexican blend which is tasty!
- Feel free to use any of your favorite barbecue flavors with this brisket.
- You can use mayo in place of butter on your bread for an equally crispy, golden outside with a tangy flavor variation.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about this brisket grilled cheese, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most common questions about grilled cheese sandwiches and brisket.
What do you put on a grilled cheese sandwich?
You can add some amazing ingredients to a grilled cheese sandwich. Some fantastic options include:
- Caramelize onions, cheddar, and sun-dried tomatoes
- Tomato, basil, and mozzarella
- Goat cheese, fig, and arugula
- Olive tapenade and Gruyere
- Turkey, Havarti, and sliced cornichons
- Grilled vegetables and Fontina
- Sliced apple, ham, and Swiss
- Sauteed mushrooms, spinach, and Gruyere
- Ham and American cheese
What kind of bread goes with brisket?
Bread like brioches, Texas toast, sourdough, and ciabatta all go well with brisket.
How do you spice up grilled cheese sandwich?
You can add lots of flavor to a simple grilled cheese sandwich by adding some fun jams and spreads like:
- Pepper jelly
- Tomato jam
- Bacon jam
- Dijon mustard
- Jalapeno jelly
What is traditionally served with brisket?
There are tons of great sides that are traditionally served with brisket. Of course, the BBQ sides come to mind immediately, but there are others, as well.
- Baked beans
- Corn on the cob
- Mac and cheese
- Potato salad
- Smoked asparagus
- Baked potatoes
- Smoked brussel sprouts
- Roasted carrots
- Oven roasted potatoes
How to Store and Reheat Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
You can store leftover sandwiches in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Use the oven to reheat them. Wrap the sandwiches in aluminum foil and then baked them for 15 to 20 minutes at 325 degrees.
Brisket Grilled Cheese Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these delicious grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Leftover beef brisket
- Barbecue sauce
- Beef broth
- Colby Jack cheese
- Texas thick bread
- Onion strings, if desired
How to Make Brisket Grilled Cheese
Making these delicious sandwiches is just as easy as gathering up the ingredients for them. It only takes a few simple steps!
Step 1: Prep and Heat the Brisket
Add leftover brisket, barbecue sauce, and beef broth to a small saucepan over medium heat and warm until heated through.
Step 2: Butter the Bread
Butter one side of each piece of bread, so they’re all ready when it’s time to cook the sandwiches.
Step 3: Construct the Sandwiches
Add a slice of cheese to the bottom, unbuttered side of bread. Then add half the brisket and another slice of cheese. Top with another slice of buttered bread.
Step 4: Cook the Sandwiches
Place the sandwich in the pan and cook over medium heat until the bread is golden brown, then, flip and cook the other side in the same way. Serve and enjoy!
Try This Beef Brisket Grilled Cheese Today
This delicious beef brisket grilled cheese sandwich recipe is so delicious and so easy to make, and it absolutely explodes with flavor. Give it a try, and I know you’ll love it as much as I do. With such a great combination of flavor and ease, there’s no reason not to. Once you try this recipe, you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
Want More Leftover Brisket Recipes?
Brisket Baked Potato – This Brisket Baked Potato is a delicious recipe to use leftover brisket. It is loaded with brisket, barbeque sauce, shredded cheese, and homemade onion strings.
Brisket Mac and Cheese – This mac and cheese recipe is a rich and creamy mac and cheese recipe that is topped with leftover brisket and drizzled with barbeque sauce.
BBQ Brisket Tacos – These brisket tacos are loaded with leftover brisket, barbeque sauce, and homemade fried onion strings.
And here is a Brisket Hash and Eggs Recipe from The Spruce Eats you might enjoy too.
Brisket Grilled Cheese
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add leftover brisket, barbecue sauce and beef broth. Cook until heated through.
- Butter each slice of bread.
- Using a large frying pan over medium heat, add one slice of bread to the pan, buttered side down.
- Next, place a slice of cheese on top of the bread, followed by half the brisket.
- Drizzle barbecue sauce over meat, if desired, and add onion strings.
- Place another slice of cheese, followed by another slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Repeat with the second sandwich.
- Cook until golden brown and flip the sandwich over and cook the other side.
- Remove from the pan and place on a serving plate and enjoy!
Here are a few pictures that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.