This delicious recipe combines two popular classic favorites – grilled cheese sandwiches, and chicken salad – into one hearty and delicious sandwich. The best of both worlds come together in this tasty grilled cheese sandwich recipe.
I love meat and cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich. From classic childhood favorites like grilled cheese with ham to more creative options like brisket grilled cheese, I can’t think of anything better to add to a grilled than some kind of meat. The thing is, though, it doesn’t have to be just plain meat added to the sandwich. I like to go all out and make a melt out of it. That’s why I love combining my classic chicken salad with creamy mozzarella when I make this delicious chicken salad grilled cheese sandwich.
Chicken Salad Grilled Cheese
This delicious grilled cheese sandwich starts with classic chicken salad loaded with grapes, onions, water chestnuts, and a creamy mayo dressing. Then, I add the salad and mozzarella cheese to buttered Texas toast and cook it to melty, golden brown perfection. It’s a delicious grilled cheese variation that you could just as easily call a melt if you prefer. Whatever you call it, though, it’s absolutely delicious. I love serving these for special lunches or even dinners, and I’ve been known to make batches for parties, too.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Salad Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic comfort food we all love and enjoy, and this delicious chicken salad version adds a layer of deliciousness the whole family will enjoy.
- The winning combination of toasted, crispy bread, melty cheese, and the creamy homemade chicken salad is simply irresistible and is sure to become a new favorite.
- These grilled cheese sandwiches are so easy to make and taste absolutely delicious.
- They are perfect for lunch or dinner, and the thick cut of bread holds the weight of the chicken salad and prevents it from becoming soggy.
Chicken Salad Grilled Cheese Ingredients
This recipe only uses a few simple ingredients to deliver a ton of complex flavor. You find everything you need in your pantry and at your local grocery store.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Green grapes
- Red onion
- Green onions
- Water chestnuts
- Apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper
- Texas Toast, thick bread
- Mozzarella cheese (or your favorite cheese)
How to Make Chicken Salad Grilled Cheese
This recipe only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps to make. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time!
Step 1: Make the Chicken Salad
Combine the shredded chicken and mayonnaise in a large bowl. Then, add the grapes, red onions, green onions, water chestnuts, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and chill.
Step 2: Make the Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Butter each slice of bread on one side. Then, place a couple of slices in a large frying pan, griddle, or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add a slice of cheese, some chicken salad, and another slice of cheese. Top with another slice of bread and cook both sides until golden. Repeat until all sandwiches are made.
- You can cover the skillet with a lid to help the cheese melt.
- Make your grilled cheese on medium heat and no higher. Cranking up the heat won’t cook them faster. It just burns them.
- You can bring the chicken salad to room temperature to ensure that it heats up fully and evenly while the bread is toasting.
- Any kind of substantial, thick-cut bread slices will work for this recipe.
- Try adding a bit of garlic powder to the bread to make garlic bread grilled cheese.
- You can use mayo in place of butter for an extra crispy, tangy grilled cheese sandwich.
- Add a slice or two of tomato, bacon, and lettuce.
What to Serve with Chicken Salad Grilled Cheese
This delicious grilled cheese sandwich has everything we love bout classic grilled cheese with even more added flavor and a substantial filling. As such, there are several different pairings that work incredibly well with it. Try:
- French fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Potato wedges
- Tater tots
- Potato chips
- Mac and cheese
There are several varieties of cheese that work will on grilled chicken sandwiches. Try:
Any cheese that melts easily
Chicken salad can be bland for any number of reasons. You might not have added flavorful ingredients. You could have too much moisture in the salad, and you may need to add salt or more spices. Take stock of your chicken salad ingredients and assess what is missing or what you need more of.
When making regular chicken salad sandwiches, place a layer of lettuce between the chicken salad and the top and bottom pieces of bread. When making chicken salad grilled cheese, place a slice of cheese between the chicken salad and both slices of bread.
Grilling bread with mayo produces an even crispier golden exterior and adds a tangy flavor to the bread.
You can freeze leftover chicken salad for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bags.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
The best thing to do is store all the ingredients separately and then construct the sandwiches when you’re ready to serve them. They don’t take long to toast, so simply construct the sandwiches with the cheese and leftover chicken salad, toast, and serve.
The salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Simply thaw it out in the refrigerator and make as many sandwiches as you’d like.
Try This Delicious Chicken Salad Grilled Cheese Recipe Today
This chicken salad grilled cheese sandwich recipe is absolutely delicious and so easy to make, from the homemade chicken salad to the crispy, golden grilled cheese sandwiches that you’ll turn it into. It’s an easy recipe that’s full of flavor, and it only takes a few minutes to make. It doesn’t get better than that! You have to give this one a try if you love hearty sandwiches. One bite of this crispy, toasted grilled cheese, and I know you’ll fall in love.
Chicken Salad Grilled Cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup green grapes, cut in half
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 8 ounce can water chestnuts, diced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 slices Texas Toast, thick bread
- 10 slices mozzarella cheese, or your favorite cheese
- In a large bowl, add shredded chicken and mayonnaise. Stir until combined.
- Next, add grapes, red onions, green onions, water chestnuts, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Butter each slice of bread on one side.
- In a large frying pan, griddle or cast iron skillet, over medium heat, place a couple slices of bread, buttered side down, in the hot pan.
- Place a slice of cheese on the bread, then add chicken salad mixture, another slice of cheese and lastly, the top slice of bread.
- Cook until golden on both sides.*Can cover with a lid to help the cheese melt.
- Repeat with the bread and chicken mixture.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.