This homemade teriyaki chicken rice bowl recipe is absolutely scrumptious and easy to make. A hearty, savory and delicious teriyaki chicken recipe with broccoli, carrots, and rice with a delicious homemade teriyaki sauce.
A tasty teriyaki chicken rice bowl makes the perfect lunch or dinner for anyone who loves Asian flavors. I’ve always been a big fan of takeout, but that can add up really quickly. Rather than keep dropping tons of money on ordering in, I decided to put my cooking chops to good use and make my own teriyaki chicken rice bowl. It turned out perfectly if I do say so myself. Now I can enjoy all my favorite flavors anytime, and I can do it for so much less money. It’s a win all the way around!
The Best Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
This is one of the best teriyaki chicken recipes you’ll ever make. The chicken itself is so juicy and tender. The broccoli is perfectly done to just tender. When you put it all over a bed of fully white rice and cover it in that delicious teriyaki sauce that we all love, you’ll end up with a recipe that always hits the spot. It’s also healthy, too, which is a big bonus. It’s the perfect recipe to make for the family because it’s substantial, healthy, and delicious. You can also make enough to have leftovers the next day, which means you don’t have to cook!
Tips and Variations
This is relatively straightforward recipe, but there are some tips to help make it as delicious as possible. There are also some fun variations you do as well to change up the recipe a little or a lot. It’s up to you!
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl Tips
- Don’t overcook your chicken. Chicken gets tough when it’s overcooked, so cook it until it’s cooked through but no longer than that.
- Don’t overcook your broccoli. The highlight of really good Asian food is the way the vegetables are cooked until they’re just tender. Don’t make the broccoli mushy.
- White rice is the best rice for serving this recipe. It gives that classic Asian combination that we all love.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl Variations
- You can use brown rice in place of white rice.
- You can make this recipe with chicken thighs, pork, beef, or fish, as well.
- Add in more of your favorite vegetables like onions, bell pepper, snow peas, water chestnuts and asparagus.
- Can also make lettuce wraps.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about this teriyaki chicken rice bowl recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers all the most commonly asked questions about teriyaki chicken.
Is teriyaki chicken healthy?
Teriyaki chicken is reasonably healthy. It’s a good source of protein and the goodness of vegetables. That being said, teriyaki sauce is high in sodium, and some versions are healthy than others.
Can I make teriyaki chicken with cauliflower rice?
Absolutely. Cauliflower is a mild vegetable that soaks up other flavors readily, so it’s an excellent pairing to teriyaki chicken.
Can I meal prep teriyaki chicken bowls?
Absolutely. Simply portion out your chicken and rice and freeze it for later use.
Can I make chicken teriyaki bowls in advance?
Absolutely. Simply make the teriyaki chicken and rice and store them in the refrigerator for the next day. Store the chicken and the rice separately until you’re ready to serve.
What to Serve with Teriyaki Chicken
Teriyaki chicken goes well with a variety of different sides. Some great options include:
- Vegetable stir fry
- Vegetable fried rice
- Chicken fried rice
Storing and Reheating
Teriyaki chicken rice bowls will last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to six months. To reheat this recipe, simply pop it in the microwave and heat it up at 1-minute intervals.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl Ingredients
- Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Chili powder
- Broccoli florets
- White rice
- Chicken broth
- Orange juice
- Orange zest
- Rice vinegar
- Teriyaki sauce
- Minced garlic
- Ground ginger
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
Step 1 – Prep
Cook the rice according to package directions and gather all of your ingredients. Shred the carrots, cut the broccoli florets into smaller pieces and slice the chicken into thin, bite-size pieces. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together until blended. Set aside.
Step 2 – Make the Teriyaki Sauce
Using a small saucepan, over low heat, add all ingredients for the sauce except the cornstarch and water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add cornstarch mixture to sauce. Stir continuously until sauce has thickened.
Step 3 – Cook the Chicken and Veggies
Melt 2 tablespoon of butter to a large skillet or large frying pan, over medium heat. Add broccoli and carrots and cook until soft. Remove and place on a plate or bowl while cooking the chicken. Add sliced chicken pieces to skillet and season both sides. Add another tablespoon of butter to pan and cook the chicken until it is no longer pink. Pour 1 cup of teriyaki sauce into pan with chicken and bring to a simmer.
Step 4 – Serving
Place prepared rice into individual serving bowls. Next, add the broccoli and carrots, and then add the chicken. Garnish with sliced green onions and top with additional teriyaki sauce, if desired.
Try This Easy Teriyaki Chicken Bowl Recipe Today
This teriyaki chicken rice bowl recipe is so easy and so delicious. It’s the perfect meal to satisfy a crowd, whether it’s family or friends. With this combination of flavor and ease, there’s no reason not to give it a try. Whip up a batch of this takeout classic, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
Looking for More Delicious Teriyaki Recipes
Orange Teriyaki Chicken – This Orange Teriyaki Chicken is the perfect main dish to pair with steamed or fried rice. Tender pieces of chicken covered in a delicious orange teriyaki sauce.
Teriyaki Meatballs with Rice – This Teriyaki Meatballs with Rice recipe is an easy and delicious dish packed with flavors and sure to be enjoyed by the whole family.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs – These Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs are flavorful, delicious, and loaded with bell peppers, pineapple, and Teriyaki chicken and grilled to perfection.
And, here is an Easy Fried Rice recipe, from Deliciously Seasoned, that will pair nicely with any of these recipes.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
For the Chicken
Step 1 – Prep
- Cook rice according to package directions and gather all of your ingredients. Shred the carrots, cut the broccoli florets into smaller pieces and slice the chicken into thin, bite-size pieces. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together until blended. Set aside.
Step 2 – Make the Teriyaki Sauce
- Using a small saucepan, over low heat, add all ingredients for the sauce except the cornstarch and water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add cornstarch mixture to sauce. Stir continuously until sauce has thickened.
Step 3 – Cook the Chicken and Vegetables
- Melt 2 tablespoon of butter to a large skillet or large frying pan, over medium heat. Add broccoli and carrots and cook until soft. Remove and place on a plate or bowl while cooking the chicken. Add another tablespoon of butter to skillet and add sliced chicken pieces. Season chicken, stir. Cook chicken until it is no longer pink then pour 1 cup of the teriyaki sauce into the pan with chicken and bring to a simmer. Leave the remaining sauce in the pan to use for additional topping.
Step 4 – Serving
- Place prepared rice into individual serving bowls. Next, add the broccoli and carrots, and then add the chicken. Top with additional teriyaki sauce, if desired.
Here are a couple pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards.