Mini pancakes are thick and delicious, topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream which makes for a quick and delicious weekend breakfast.
I’ve long thought that the only thing better than my favorite foods is my favorite foods served up in fun and interesting ways. That’s why I love making these mini pancakes. They’re a tiny, adorable version of one of my family’s favorite breakfasts. We’ve all enjoyed pancakes over the years. They’re usually either regular-sized or jumbo. After all, the American motto is bigger is better, right? Well, after making this recipe for the first time a few years ago, my motto became super-cute is better, and that’s just what these pancakes are. They’re little bites of pure pancake heaven, and they’re the cutest.
These delicious miniature pancakes use a super easy buttermilk pancake batter. Then, I add a small amount to a hot griddle to make small pancakes that are just as big on flavor as their full-sized counterparts. These pancakes cook up thick, fluffy, and tender, and they’re perfect with syrup and your other favorite breakfast foods.
Why You’ll Love This Mini Pancake Recipe
- They’re small and adorable and are the perfect size for a quick and easy breakfast or snack. Plus, they are fun to eat and look so cute on the plate.
- They’re versatile and can be topped with anything you’d like, from fruit and syrup to whipped cream and chocolate chips.
- They are super easy to make and cook up quickly, and make a great option for busy families short on time.
Mini Pancake Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. You probably have most if not all of them in your kitchen right now. And if you don’t, they’re only a short trip to the grocery store away!
- All purpose flour is a versatile flour used in a variety of baking recipes, including pancakes, which provides structure and helps bind the other ingredients together.
- Sugar adds just a bit of sweetness to the pancakes and helps to tenderize the gluten in the flour.
- Baking soda is a leavening agent and helps to create the light and fluffy texture of the pancakes.
- Salt enhances the flavor of the pancakes and balances out the sweetness of the sugar.
- Large egg adds richness and flavor to the pancakes and helps bind the ingredients together.
- Buttermilk gives the pancakes their tangy flavor and helps to tenderize the gluten in the flour.
- Powdered sugar is used to dust the pancakes right before serving, which adds a bit of sweetness.
- Maple syrup is a sweet syrup and a popular topping choice for pancakes.
- Diced strawberries add sweetness, flavor and color to the mini pancakes.
- Whipped cream is light and fluffy and is a popular topping for many recipes, including pancakes.
How to Make Mini Pancakes
Making these pancakes is a breeze. The batter is simple, and cooking them on the griddle is no more difficult. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in just a few minutes.
Step 1: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Whisk the egg and buttermilk together in a small bowl.
Step 3: Make the Pancake Batter
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined. The batter will be lumpy.
Step 4: Cook
Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter onto a hot griddle and cook until done on both sides. Enjoy with powdered sugar, maple syrup, diced strawberries, and whipped cream.
- DO NOT overmix your batter. Lumpy batter is perfect. If you overmix it, you’ll end up with dense, tough pancakes.
- Be gentle when mixing your batter. Just like overmixing, mixing too vigorously leads to tough pancakes.
- Cook your pancakes until the edges are golden and the top is bubbly, then flip once and cook for approximately the same amount of time.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, combine 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for 5 minutes. You’ve made your own!
- Try adding your favorite mix-ins like chocolate chips, blueberries or raspberries.
- Add some cinnamon to the mix for a different flavor.
- Top with Nutella, peanut butter and bananas
- For even more tender pancakes, use cake flour.
What to Serve with Mini Pancakes
Like all pancakes, syrup, whipped cream, powdered sugar, and fresh berries are all excellent topping ideas. And of course, like all pancakes, these mini pancakes pair well with all of your favorite savory breakfast items like:
- Sausage is a delicious breakfast item that pairs well with the sweetness of the pancakes, and the two flavors compliment each other well. Plus, the sausage adds a bit of protein to the breakfast.
- Bacon is another breakfast favorite and the saltiness of the bacon helps to balance the sweetness of the pancakes, and the flavor combination of the two are simply irresistible.
- Eggs are such a versatile breakfast item that can be cooked in a variety of ways. Scrambled, fried, and poached, paired nicely with pancakes.
- Ham is salty and pairs nicely with the sweetness of the pancakes and the two flavors complement each other well, plus, it provides some protein to the morning breakfast.
- Biscuit and gravy is a Southern classic breakfast dish that pairs well with pancakes.
There are two to three pancakes in a short stack.
Cook mini pancakes for about a minute on each side.
Small pancakes are called silver dollar pancakes. The name comes from their size which is about that of a silver dollar.
Mini pancakes freeze very well and will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Mini Pancakes
These pancakes will last in the fridge for 5 to 7 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze them in an airtight, freezer-safe container in single layers separated by parchment paper for up to 3 months.
To reheat the pancakes, place them on a non-stick baking sheet with ½ inch of space between them. Brush the tops with melted butter, cover with foil, and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees or until heated through.
Try These Delicious Mini Pancakes with Strawberries Today
These mini pancakes are as adorable as they are delicious, and they’re incredibly easy to make. You can’t beat that combination. Make a batch for a special breakfast, and you’ll find yourself whipping up these pancakes all the time. They’re so quick and easy, you might even make them on the weekdays!
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Fried Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a quick and easy breakfast recipe that only takes a few simple ingredients, and makes a hearty breakfast sandwich everyone will enjoy.
Mini Pancakes with Fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk together until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir gently. Batter will be lumpy.
- Using a griddle or a large frying pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray or a little butter, over medium heat.
- Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter on a hot griddle and cook until done on both sides.
- Serve hot with powdered sugar, maple syrup, diced strawberries and whipped cream, if desired.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.