This cheesy tater tot breakfast casserole is a hearty and delicious breakfast casserole recipe loaded with crispy bacon, savory breakfast sausage, eggs, cheese, and tater tots and will feed a crowd.
Tater tots have been a love of mine for a long time. Growing up, my mom always made tater tots in the oven while my dad was grilling the burgers and dogs. She also had a great Tex-Mex tater tot casserole that I absolutely loved. When I got older and had a family, I realize that one of the big reasons she made tater tot casseroles so often was because it was an easy way to make enough food to feed us all for a couple of days. I fully embraced that, and made casseroles with tots frequently, as well. One of my favorites to make was a breakfast version filled with all the tasty flavors of breakfast. I’m sharing it with all of you today, and I think you’re going to love it.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
This delicious casserole takes tater tots and combines them with all our favorite breakfast flavors. Tots, breakfast sausage, crispy bacon, eggs, and cheese come together to create a delicious casserole loaded with flavor and cooked to golden brown perfection. Every bite is an explosion of breakfast flavors. It even has a spicy kick! The best part is that this recipe is so easy to make! It’s a great special breakfast on the weekend, but it’s also easy and fast enough for making any time during the week. You can’t be a combination like that!
Why You’ll Love This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- It’s a hearty, delicious breakfast the whole family will love.
- It’s loaded with crispy Applewood bacon, breakfast sausage, eggs, and cheese, and of course – tater tots!
- And, it’s the perfect breakfast for large family gatherings during the holidays or a weekend breakfast that can last until the beginning of the week.
What to Serve with Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
This casserole is a complete breakfast in and of itself, but I have some great ideas to make it the ultimate breakFEAST.
- Top it with country gravy.
- Top it with syrup.
- And, salsa or Pico de Gallo is always a delicious addition.
- Sour cream is a great topping, as well.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Variations
I have zero tips for this recipe. It’s just so simple! I do, however, have some great variations I think you’re going to love.
- Try adding diced jalapenos or green chilies for a spicy kick.
- Diced bell peppers make a great addition to the casserole.
- Try using diced country ham, turkey sausage, or Italian sausage in place of the breakfast sausage.
- Add pepper jack cheese for another kick of heat.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then I have the answers. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about tater tot casseroles.
Who invented tater tot casserole?
No one knows exactly who invented tater tot casserole, but we do know where it was invented. It’s a product of Minnesota. No one knows exactly how long it’s been around, but since tater tots were invented in 1953, we know it was some time after that.
What can I substitute for tater tots?
Depending on the recipe, you can use cauliflower in place of tots. You can also use hash browns if the nature of the recipe will allow it.
What goes with tater tot casserole?
If you’re serving a lunch or dinner version, I wouldn’t recommend anything other than a salad. These casseroles are as dense as they are delicious. If you’re serving a breakfast version, I recommend topping it with different toppings. Some great ideas include:
- Country gravy
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Sour cream
Can this casserole be made in advance?
Absolutely. Construct the casserole the night before and then simply pop it into the oven in the morning.
How long will breakfast casserole last in the fridge?
It will keep in a tightly covered container for 3 to 4 days.
Can you freeze tater tot casserole?
Yes. Wrap the prepared casserole with a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil and freeze it for up to 3 months.
How to Store and Reheat Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Store your casserole in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, wrap the casserole in its original dish in a double layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat the casserole, place it in a pan and cover it with foil. Then, bake it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this dish. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Frozen tater tot potatoes
- Breakfast sausage
- Diced green chilies
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- All purpose flour
- Heavy whipping cream
- Vegetable broth
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Half and half
How to Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
It only takes a few steps to make this delicious casserole recipe. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish win nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Cook the Sausage and Onions
Cook the sausage and onions in a large frying pan until the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain the grease and return the sausage mixture to the pan.
Step 3: Add the Chilies and Seasonings
Add the diced green chilies, garlic powder, pepper, and Slap Ya Mama seasoning to the sausage mixture and stir.
Step 4: Add the Cream
Sprinkle flour over the sausage mixture and cook for another 2 minutes. Then, pour the heavy cream and beef broth into the pan and cook until heated through.
Step 5: Construct the Casserole
Pour the sausage mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out in an even layer. Then, add about 1 1/2 cups of cheese followed by tater tots, the egg mixture, and the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
Step 6: Bake
Bake the casserole uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes at 375 degrees or until hot and bubbly.
Step 7: Make the Bacon
While the casserole is baking, cook the bacon until it’s crispy. When it’s cool enough to handle, crumble it up and set it aside. Sprinkle it on the casserole after it’s finished baking and enjoy!
Try This Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe Today
This easy, delicious tater tot breakfast casserole is so full of flavor, but it’s not full of a lot of work. It’s a simple recipe that only requires some basic cooking, a few minutes, and a little baking. That’s it! It’s so easy, you can make it in the morning, or keep things even simpler and construct it the night before. Then, simply pop it in the oven the next morning. With a recipe this easy and delicious, there’s no reason not to give it a try. Bake this delicious breakfast casserole once, and I know you’ll find it in your breakfast rotation for years to come!
Here Are A Few More Breakfast Recipes To Try
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole – A hearty and delicious breakfast recipe that is loaded with potato rounds, eggs, sausage, and lots of cheese.
Rib Eye Breakfast Pastry Ring – A delicious breakfast recipe made with leftover rib eye, Monterey jack cheese, jalapenos, all wrapped in a crescent roll and baked to perfection.
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Bowl – A hearty, delicious, and filling breakfast recipe that is loaded with fluffy eggs, pinto beans, breakfast sausage, cheese, salsa, and other ingredients that bring this recipe together.
Also, try these Hash Brown Breakfast Cups from Deliciously Seasoned. A crispy hash brown cup filled with breakfast sausage and eggs, topped with cheese and then baked until golden brown.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 30 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 12 ounce bacon, crispy
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 large eggs whisked with ⅛ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, cook sausage and onions together until sausage is no longer pink and onions are translucent. Drain grease and return to the pan.
- Add diced green chilies, garlic powder, pepper and Slap Ya Mama seasoning. Stir.
- Sprinkle flour over sausage mixture and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Slowly pour heavy cream and vegetable broth into the pan, stir until combined, and cook until heated through.
- Pour sausage mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out in an even layer.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ cup of cheese on top, followed by tater tots, egg mixture, and the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- While the breakfast casserole is baking, cook bacon until crispy. Once bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble and add to the top of the breakfast casserole once removed from the oven. Top with sliced green onions and sour cream, if desired.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite cookie or dessert board on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.