Breakfast sandwiches are a great way to start the day. Loaded with meat, eggs, and cheese, these sandwiches get your day started right with a huge punch of protein to carry you through the morning. Today, I’m showing you how to make the best sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich you’ll ever eat!
Making the perfect Sausage, Egg and Cheese Sandwich is easier than you think. I’m guiding you through the process and give suggestions on ingredients.
I love making breakfast sandwiches. They’re so filling and packed with protein. They’re a classic breakfast that everyone loves. The best part is that I can make them ahead of time and freeze them. That’s a huge time saver! With so many options out there, you can always make them a little different, as well, which means they never get stale or boring.
GREAT GRAB-N-GO BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
When my kids were young, I made sandwiches for both breakfasts, school lunches, and even after-school snacks. I always made big batches to freeze so I could quickly take them out of the freezer, heat them up, and send the kids on their way. I also almost always made one for myself, as well. They might officially be for breakfast, but these sandwiches make a great meal any time of the day.
Now that my kids are grown, I might not need to save as much time as I did when they were young, but I still tend to make these sandwiches in batches for freezing. Hey, when something freezes as well as these, there’s no reason not to make them in bulk and save some time later.
Today, I’m sharing how to make the best breakfast sandwiches ever with all of you. We’ll be talking about toppings, the best cheeses, sausage patties, variations, and so much more. By the time you’re finished reading this, you’ll be an expert at making these delicious breakFEAST sandwiches.
WHAT MAKES A GREAT BREAKFAST SANDWICH?
Great breakfast sandwiches start with great ingredients. Fresh is always best. Use the freshest meats, cheeses, eggs, and bread that you possibly can to create a sandwich that absolutely explodes with flavor. Remember, stale ingredients make a stale finished product, so always go with fresh.
The other thing that makes a really great breakfast sandwich is the classic trio of meat, eggs, and cheese. You can’t go wrong with that combo. It’s almost like cooking with the trinity of celery, onion, and bell pepper. If you leave one out, you can definitely taste the difference.
Finally, toppings help gild the lily for the absolute perfect sandwich that is great to serve for breakfast. Sure, meat, eggs, and cheese on their own are delicious, but why stop there? Kick things up with a delicious topping to really make your sandwiches pop. I have added some ideas for toppings down further down the post.
THE BEST BREAD FOR BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
There are a few routes you can go when choosing bread for this sandwich recipe. Of course, many people immediately think of biscuits, and they’re a great choice. English muffins are also an excellent base too. Some people even make their sandwiches using small waffles for the bread.
I’m a big fan of using English muffins. They’re hearty, and they don’t crumble apart like biscuits. They also stand up to handling and biting better than waffles, in my opinion. Again, it all comes down to personal preference.
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT ENGLISH MUFFINS
If you decided to use English muffins, I highly suggest making your own from scratch, especially if you’re making these sandwiches in batches. After all, you’ll be in the kitchen anyway so why not go all out?
I have a delicious recipe for the perfect English muffins that are an amazing base for your breakfast sandwiches. You can find my English muffins recipe here. These muffins are golden on the outside, hearty and soft on the inside, and full of nooks and crannies. They’re perfect!
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE PATTIES
There are all kinds of meat options out there, but I think the classic sausage breakfast patty is king among them all. Sausage has always been the go-to breakfast meat, and that’s no different when it comes to sandwiches like these. Juicy and slightly spicy, breakfast sausage makes the perfect base for these sandwiches.
FRIED EGGS VS SCRAMBLED EGGS
Next, let’s look at our egg choices. Both fried and scrambled eggs will work, but I really prefer fried eggs. Fried eggs tend to have a better texture when it comes to sandwiches like this. I find that scrambled eggs tend to be a bit mushy for these kinds of sandwiches. That being said, it all comes down to personal taste.
Over easy fried eggs are excellent additions to your sandwich, as they offer so much flavor and the texture of the runny yolk is fantastic. If you don’t want the mess, you can simply pierce the yolk and make a fried egg with a cooked yolk. If you’re using scrambled eggs, I recommend scrambling them on high heat so that they cook up quickly with a more unified texture than classic, fluffy scrambled eggs.
THE BEST CHEESE FOR BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
When it comes to a sandwich made for breakfast, cheese is the classic finisher. All that melted gooey deliciousness really makes for a satisfying sandwich. But what is the best to use? It really all comes down to whatever you enjoy, but I have some suggestions that I’ve found work extremely well.
- American – A classic favorite for most breakfast sandwiches.
- Pepper Jack – Adds a little heat to the overall taste.
- Sharp Cheddar – A great choice for a more pronounced flavor.
- Provolone – A popular sliced deli cheese that melts easily and is a favorite for sandwiches of all kinds.
- Colby Jack – A combination of Colby and Monterey Jack, both of which are mild and creamy and melt extremely well.
- Swiss – has a soft-texture with a nutty flavor that melts well.
BEST TOPPINGS FOR THE BEST SAUSAGE, EGGS AND CHEESE BREAKFAST SANDWICH
Last, but not least, we have the toppings. Many of you probably simply put the meat, egg, and cheese on your bread of choice and call it done, but you’re missing out on a ton of flavor. In my opinion, the best sandwiches are finished off with a delicious topping, and there are plenty of things you can use!
- Tomato slices
- Sliced avocado
- Picante sauce
- Hollandaise sauce
- Maple syrup
- Sliced onion
- Chopped green onions
One of the best parts is how easy these sandwiches are to change and tweak. You can use almost any protein source you’d like so long as it falls into that classic meat, egg, and cheese trinity. We’ve already talked about various cheeses and sauces that you can use on your sandwiches, so let’s take a second to look at some excellent meat and meat substitute variations you might enjoy.
- Turkey sausage
- Veggie patties
- Italian sausage
- Roast beef
- Fried chicken
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST SAUSAGE, EGG AND CHEESE SANDWICH
The ingredient list for these sausage and egg sandwiches are incredibly simple. Most of them are actually for making my English muffins recipe. After you’ve made the muffins, the rest of are simply your meat and cheese of choice and your eggs. That’s it!
- Instant yeast
- American cheese
- Breakfast sausage
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SAUSAGE, EGG AND CHEESE BREAKFAST SANDWICH
It’s easy to make this recipe. Even the English muffins recipe is simple, so if you decide to go fully from scratch on this recipe, you’ll still be making something that’s quite easy. Here’s what you’ll do.
- Make the English muffins and set them aside.
- Form the sausage into patties and fry until fully cooked in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Using a circular biscuit or cookie cutter, crack eggs and fry until they are cooked to your liking.
- Add sliced American cheese on top of the fried egg and assemble onto toasted English muffin.
- Add your favorite toppings.
STORING THESE BREAKFAST SANDWICHES WITH SAUSAGE, EGG AND CHEESE
These sandwiches will keep well in an air-tight container it the refrigerator for about four days. For longer storage, you can freeze them in heavy-duty freezer bags for up to two months. To freezer, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then place them in your freezer bags.
HOW TO REHEAT THESE SAUSAGE AND EGG SANDWICHES
To reheat your sandwiches, simply wrap them in a paper towel and microwave for about a minute on 50% power. Then, flip the sandwiches and microwave for about 30 seconds on high or until warmed through. You can also defrost your sandwiches in the refrigerator overnight and heat them in the toaster oven for about three to four minutes.
MAKE YOUR OWN PERFECT SANDWICH FOR BREAKFAST TODAY
Making these sandwiches for breakfast is easy when you have a roadmap, and that’s what I’ve given you today. No matter what combination of meat, egg, and cheese you use, you’ll always have one delicious breakfast for everyone in the family when you make this recipe. Give it a try. I know you’ll love it.
TRY THE BEST SAUSAGE AND EGG SANDWICH TODAY
And, here are a few more delicious breakfast recipes that can be found on the blog.
- Cheesy Sausage Egg Breakfast Tacos
- Pancake Sausage on a Stick
- One Skillet Italian Sausage Skillet
- Fried Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Also, here’s a Hash Brown Breakfast Cups recipe from Deliciously Seasoned that you might enjoy too!
The Best Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
To Make the Homemade English Muffins
- Whisk together warm milk, yeast, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Let bloom in bowl for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add flour and salt.
- Add in milk, yeast, sugar mixture, melted butter, and egg. Mix until dough forms.
- Shape dough into a tight ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a dish towel or plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 12 pieces.
- Shape dough pieces into balls and place onto a baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Dust tops of balls with cornmeal. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Take one dough ball at a time and dust with cornmeal, then flatten.
- Place in a cast iron pan over low-medium heat and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Next, add back to baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes at 350°
- Remove English muffins from the oven, let cool slightly, and slice in half.
Cooking the Sausage and Eggs
- Form the sausage patties into thin rounds and place them in a preheated frying pan. Fry over medium-high heat until fully cooked through.
- Remove cooked sausage patties from pan and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess grease.
- Spray a small frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat ever medium heat.
- Place a 3-4 inch round metal biscuit cutter into frying pan and crack one egg in the middle.
- Once egg starts to cook, remove biscuit cutter and flip egg using a spatula.
- Cook egg to your liking and then remove from pan. Repeat with all of the eggs.
To Assemble The Breakfast Sandwiches
- Toast English muffins, place sausage patty on the bottom half, add egg, then a slice of American cheese and other half of muffin.
- Enjoy as is or add your favorite sauce to enhance your breakfast sandwich even more.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to pin to your favorite Pinterest boards.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission.
If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.