This cheesy salsa verde taco pasta has tons of cheese and is full of flavor. A simple recipe that is both filling and satisfying, and can be on the dinner table in no time. Easy, cheesy, and delicious.
I love making beef and pasta dishes. They’re so easy to make and so hearty. It’s the perfect combination when you’re a busy mom like I was or just a busy person in general like I am today! I’ve been making some variation of beef and pasta for years. When I was a new mom, I made a lot of Hamburger Helper, and I quickly realized that I was throwing money away by buying those boxed dinners. After all, when you can cook, you can just make your own combinations! That’s exactly what I started doing, and I never stopped. When my kids were young, I could make one batch of dishes like this, and serve it for dinner a couple of days in a row. When my kids got older, it made the perfect after-school snack. And of course, these kinds of dishes are great for parties and potlucks.
Cheesy Salsa Verde Taco Pasta
One of my favorite variations of beef and pasta to make is this cheesy, Mexican-inspired recipe. I’ve been making this one for several years, now, and everyone always loves it. It starts with seasoned beef, onions, and garlic. Then, I combined it with salsa verde, pasta shells, and finally a full 2 – T-W-O – cups of cheese. When it’s all said and done, I have a beefy, hearty dish that’s loaded with flavor, not work and feeds an army. Now, I ask you, can you beat that? No. The answer is no.
Why You’ll Love This Salsa Verde Taco Pasta
- It’s a quick and easy ground beef recipe that uses simple ingredients you might already have or are easily found at the grocery store.
- It’s an inexpensive weeknight dinner recipe that the whole family will love and request often.
- It is a hearty and flavorful pasta recipe, and the leftovers are just as good the next day.
- Be sure you only cook your pasta al dente. You want it to be firm enough to stand up to being mixed into the dish.
- Always drain your beef after cooking, even if you use lean ground beef. It all releases at least some fat, and you don’t want a greasy dish.
- Use chorizo in place of ground beef.
- You can make this with ground turkey.
- For a kick of heat, add diced jalapenos.
- Add diced tomatoes and corn.
- Use elbow macaroni in place of shells.
- Try Mexican or Taco cheese blends in place of cheddar cheese.
What to Serve with Cheesy Salsa Verde Taco Pasta
Just like the toppings listed above, serve your favorite Mexican sides with this pasta, as it’s loaded with Mexican flavors. Try:
- Guacamole and chips
- Salsa and chips
- Mexican rice
- Spanish rice
- Elote casserole
- Black beans and rice
What is salsa verde?
Literally meaning green salsa, salsa verde is a spicy green sauce made with tomatillos and green chili peppers.
What does salsa verde taste like?
Salsa verde is far more tart than salsa because of the acidity of the tomatillos. It’s zesty, tangy, and spicy.
Is salsa verde the same as green enchilada sauce?
They are similar but not the same. Green enchilada sauce combines tomatillos and green chilis with stock or water and the ingredients are then cooked. Salsa verde is simply tomatillos, green chilis, and sometimes one or two other ingredients that are blended together and uncooked.
Can I freeze this cheesy salsa verde taco pasta?
Absolutely. It freezes very well and will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Store and Reheat Cheesy Salsa Verde Taco Pasta
Store this taco pasta in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the dish, place in a baking dish, cover it with foil, and bake it for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees until heated through.
Cheesy Salsa Verde Taco Pasta Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious beef pasta dish. You might have several of the ingredients in your kitchen right now, and the ones you don’t are all readily available at your local grocery store.
- Ground beef
- Cloves garlic
- Black pepper
- Taco seasoning
- Salsa verde
- Small pasta shells
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional: sour cream, green onions, cilantro
How to Make Cheesy Salsa Verde Taco Pasta
Making this delicious dish is super easy. It only takes a few minutes of stovetop cooking, and you’re all one. It’s ready in less than half an hour.
Step 1: Cook the Beef
Add ground beef, onions, and garlic to a large saucepan, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat until the ground beef is completely cooked. Drain the meat and add it back to the pan.
Step 2: Add Taco Seasoning
Add the taco seasoning and water and cook until the water is absorbed.
Step 3: Add the Salsa Verde
Add the salsa verde to the meat mixture and stir.
Step 4: Make the Noodles
Prepare the noodles according to the package directions for al dente. Then, drain them and add them to the meat mixture.
Step 5: Add the Cheese
Stir in the grated cheese until melted. Garnish with sour cream, green onions, and cilantro or any of your favorite Mexican toppings.
Try This Cheesy Salsa Verde Taco Pasta Recipe Today
This delicious easy taco pasta recipe is everything Hamburger Helper wishes it could be but just can’t! It’s meaty, cheesy, and loaded with flavor, and it makes a great family dinner or addition to any potluck or party. With so much flavor and such an easy set of instructions, there’s no reason not to give it a try. Make it just once, and I guarantee it will be part of your recipe rotation forever!
More Delicious Pasta Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Italian Sausage Penne Casserole – This delicious pasta recipe is loaded with Italian sausage, onions, garlic, tomatoes, seasonings, lots of cheese and penne pasta. A family favorite pasta recipe the whole family is going to love.
Bow Tie Pasta Lasagna – This is a hearty and delicious pasta recipe made with all our favorite lasagna flavors and uses bow tie pasta in place of lasagna noodles. Cheesy and delicious.
Creamy Rigatoni – A hearty and incredibly scrumptious pasta recipe with two types of sauce, a creamy white sauce and a meat sauce with ground beef and Italian sausage, lots of cheese, and is definitely in our family’s dinner rotation 2 times a month.
And, here is an Easy One-Pot Goulash, from Deliciously Seasoned, that you will enjoy as well.
Cheesy Salsa Verde Taco Pasta
- Add ground beef to a large saucepan, crumble and then add onions and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir.
- Cook until ground beef is completely cooked. Drain grease and place meat back into saucepan.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning and add water to pan. Cook until water is absorbed.
- Pour salsa verde into meat mixture, stir.
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to meat mixture.
- Stir shredded cheese into beef mixture and stir until melted.
- Top with sour cream, green onions and cilantro (optional).
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.