Italian Sausage Penne Casserole
Loaded with gobs of cheese, this Italian sausage penne casserole is so good with the flavor of the hot Italian sausage, mixed with the spices, tomatoes and pasta. A great comfort food the whole family will enjoy.
I’ve been making my Farfalle with Sausage forever, and it’s my kids ALL-TIME favorite dish. I decided to change that recipe up a bit with this delicious Italian sausage penne casserole. Talk about a cheesy, delicious meal. This has amazing flavor. Anytime Italian sausage is used in a dish, I’m all over it.
Just look at that cheese
Oh man, sooooo good! This can be made with sweet Italian sausage instead of the hot Italian sausage if you are a lover of the sweet sausage. Either works great and both tastes amazing.
I usually don’t finish off a dish like this in the oven because it never makes it that far. Once I’ve added the cheese to the pan, we pretty much gobble it up right then. But with this recipe, add some of the cheese to the pan with the sausage and pasta, mix it up, pour half into a casserole dish, layer with additional mozzarella cheese, add the rest of the meat and pasta and then top it off with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil and pop it in the oven.
Also great left over, this Italian sausage penne casserole tastes just as good the next day, if there’s any left. When I make my farfalle with sausage, I usually double the recipe so we have lots left over. This is the same, it’s that good.
Try this Italian Sausage Penne Casserole today
A family favorite
Italian Sausage Penne Casserole
- 1 16 oz box of Penne pasta
- 2 lb packages of Hot Italian Sausage, can use Sweet Italian instead
- 24 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 3 quart casserole dish with a non stick spray. Set aside.
- Remove sausage from casing and add to large skillet.
- Crumble and cook over medium heat until done.
- Drain grease from sausage, reserving 2 tablespoons of grease. Set sausage aside.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of grease back to pan, add chopped onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent.
- Pour diced tomatoes into skillet with the onions and garlic.
- Add basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add Italian sausage back to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for approximately 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Drain, rinse and place pasta back in pan.
- Add sausage mixture to pan with pasta.
- Add 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese to the pan and stir well until melted.
- Place 1/2 of the meat and pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish, sprinkle with cheese, add the rest of the meat and pasta, top with remaining cheese, cover with foil bake until cheese is bubbly and heated through, approximately 30 minutes. Can remove foil and bake the cheese a bit more.
- Serve with salad and garlic bread.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.