If you’re looking for a refreshing recipe that literally will give you the taste of summer all year long, this Pico de Gallo recipe needs to be on your radar. This simple recipe takes minimal effort but produces huge flavor and taste. I love the fact that I don’t even have to turn on the stove at all.
Have I ever mentioned how much I love onions and tomatoes? Being able to eat these foods brings me pure joy and happiness. I’m such a foodie so I’m always on the lookout for quick and easy recipes that can really enhance the flavor and taste.
More than that, I’m pretty obsessed with recipes that just taste fresh. Fresh veggies make for the best flavors and this Pico de Gallo recipe showcase that time and time again.
What foods pair well with Pico de Gallo?
Honestly, I’ll eat this simple dip recipe with any type of dish but some of my favorite meals to pair it with are Mexican-themed. Beef fajitas, tacos, burritos, and even a simple taco salad are all great options for eating with this recipe.
I also really enjoy this side dish option with scrambled eggs for breakfast. Quite the 180, right? This is why I love this easy recipe…I can enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Simply scrambling up a bunch of eggs and then having this as a topping takes the flavor over the top.
Is Pico de Gallo salsa?
It’s very similar to salsa but doesn’t have any juices in it as salsa does. The only juice is from the tomatoes. It’s a chunkier version that really doesn’t limit you to eating this with chips or tacos. You can use it as salsa or just as a flavor enhancer as well.
Many people will use this as an alternative to salsa, especially during the summer months when they have fresh veggies in their garden.
How spicy is Pico de Gallo?
It’s as spicy as you want to make it. I like foods to be spicy so this is why you see the added jalapeno and other seasonings in it. But if you don’t like spicy, you can omit the spicy ingredients and tame down the heat a bit.
Why do you take the seeds out of jalapenos before cooking them up or eating them?
This is actually a personal preference. The seeds of the jalapenos are where you’re going to find some of the heat. Many people tend to love the taste and the flavor of jalapenos but they don’t like the texture of the seeds. For that reason, the seeds are removed before cooking.
Also, keep in mind that no matter what, there’s going to be a high chance that you’re going to have some jalapeno juice on your hands, especially if you’re cutting them and chopping them up. For this reason, you should wear gloves.
The reason for this is that the last thing that you want to have happen is for you to touch your eyes and then to have jalapeno juice burning them! Talk about a ton of pain! If you do think that you touched jalapenos, you need to wash your hands as soon as possible. You may not realize that you have jalapeno juice on your hands at all so you need to be really careful here.
If you’re looking for a super simple recipe that has a ton of great flavor, this Pico de Gallo recipe is one for you. It’s an easy recipe that just tastes fresh and really does a great job of offering up fresh flavors with the health benefit of eating great foods, too.
Top your favorite dishes or serve with chips!
What is the difference between Pico de Gallo and Salsa?
The difference between Pico de Gallo and salsa is that salsa has a much thinner consistency than Pico de Gallo. As you can see, this recipe is chunky and one we love to make at home or even when we dine out at our favorite Mexican restaurant.
What is in Pico de Gallo Salsa
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Jalapeño pepper
- Serrano pepper
- Lemon juice
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
(Actual measurements are in the recipe card below.)
How To Make Pico de Gallo From Scratch
- Place finely chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped cilantro, diced jalapeno, diced serrano pepper, lemon juice and lime juice in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight for the flavors to mesh.
- Enjoy with your favorite Mexican recipe or serve with tortilla chips.
- And make sure to “print recipe” so it’s at your fingertips when you are ready to enjoy this fresh salsa with your favorite Mexican food recipe.
Try This Delicious Tex Mex Recipe Today
Here are a few more delicious recipes that can be found on the blog:
- Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Crock Pot Spicy Charro Beans
- Cheesy Ground Beef Empanadas
Pico de Gallo
- 2½ pounds tomatoes, rinsed, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon serrano pepper, stem and seeds removed, finely diced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- salt to taste
- Place chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, diced jalapeno, diced serrano pepper, lemon juice and lime juice in a large bowl. Stir.
- Add salt to taste, stir, cover and place in fridge for 4 hours or overnight for the flavors to mess.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips or with your favorite Mexican recipe.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.