Grilling is one of the highlights of summer. These awesome chicken burritos have been a favorite in our house forever. And, is usually the first meal we make when we fire up the grill.
If you love chicken burritos, then you’re going to flip over this recipe. It takes the classic burritos and kicks it way up with doctored-up salsa and other easy but flavorful ingredients. It’s a family favorite that I’ve been making for years. My family loves its delicious flavor, and I love how easy it is to make. It’s the best combo, if you ask me. My kids always loved this recipe when they were in school, and their friends always loved chowing down on these the next day when they came by after school. I always enjoyed making it because it was easy enough to make any time of the week, which was important to me as a busy mom.
Awesome Chicken Burritos
These chicken burritos absolutely live up to their name. They’re full of tender chicken, beans, and a ton of veggies and Mexican flavors. It starts with chicken breasts that are marinated and grilled to juicy perfection. Then, I combine store-bought salsa with a few extra ingredients to give it an extra kick. Finally, I cut the chicken into strips and combine it with all the other ingredients, roll it up, and I serve it to everyone. And they always love it!
Why You’ll Love These Awesome Chicken Burritos
- They’re absolutely amazing and have been a family favorite for 25 years.
- The tender chicken is marinated and grilled to perfection and made with ranch beans and a hearty salsa recipe.
- Everyone raves about this recipe.
- You won’t be able to stop at just one. They’re that good!
- When grilling chicken, it’s important not to grill it directly over the heat or to have the heat too high. You’ll dry out the chicken.
- Marinating the chicken for 2 to 3 hours will make it more tender and juicier. Don’t skip this step!
- Let your chicken rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing it.
- You can use shredded rotisserie chicken in place of grilled chicken breasts. You can also simply cook the marinated chicken in a pan.
- Try adding diced jalapenos for an extra kick of heat and flavor.
- If you don’t like cilantro, simply leave it out.
How to Grill chicken
Be sure the grill grates are clean and oiled. Then, place the chicken breasts on the grates offset from the coals. Cover the lid and girl for 20 to 25 minutes. If grilling on a grill pan, cook the breasts over medium-low heat until seared on both sides and the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
What to Serve with Chicken Burritos
Pair these burritos with your favorite Mexican sides. Some great ideas include:
- Lime rice
- Mexican rice
- Spanish rice
- Black beans
- Refried beans
- Mexican coleslaw
- Pico de Gallo
- Guacamole and chips
- Salsa and chips
How long will burritos last in the fridge?
These will last for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze chicken burritos?
You sure can! Wrap the cooled burritos tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap then a layer of foil.
How do you keep burritos from getting soggy?
The best way to keep burritos from getting soggy is to put them together just before serving them. Outside of that, frying them in a pan will help keep them from getting soggy because of the crispy coating that frying them creates.
Why is chicken grilled over low heat?
Grilling chicken on low heat prevents the skin (if your chicken has it) from burning before the chicken is cooked through. It also prevents flare-ups and overcooking for any kind of chicken, skin-on or not.
How to Store and Reheat These Awesome Chicken Burritos
Refrigerate the filling in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When ready to serve, heat the burritos in a pan then stuff and roll them. Serve and enjoy! You can also make the burritos, cool them, and freeze them wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil for up to 3 months.
To reheat these burritos, wrap the burritos in foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Awesome Chicken Burritos Ingredients
This recipe only uses simple ingredients to create incredibly delicious flavors. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Ranch Style beans
- Flour tortillas, uncooked if possible
For the Marinade
- Good Seasons® Italian Dressing Mix
- Red wine vinegar
For the Salsa
- Pace® Picante Salsa, Medium
- Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Green onions, sliced thin
- Cilantro, chopped
- Avocados, cut into small squares
How to Make Awesome Chicken Burritos
This recipe is incredibly straightforward. It only takes a few simple steps to make.
Step 1: Prep the Chicken
Cut each chicken breast into 3 strips for easier grilling. Then, place the strips in a large resealable bag or large bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Make the Marinade
Follow the directions on the Italian dressing package. Then add the red wine vinegar to the line on your cruet. Add water, then the packet contents, and oil. Close the lid and shake well to combine. Marinated the chicken for 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
Step 3: Grill the Chicken
Grill the chicken over low heat until its internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Discard the remaining marinade.
Step 4: Make the Salsa
Combine the salsa, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and avocados in a medium bowl and gently stir until combined. Refrigerate until chilled.
Step 5: Make the Burritos
Cut the chicken into strips. Then, heat the beans in a saucepan until hot. In a large frying pan, cook the uncooked tortillas over medium heat to your preferred brownness. Then butter the tortillas and add 2 tablespoons of beans, the chicken, and the salsa. Roll up and enjoy!
Try These Awesome Chicken Burritos Today
These burritos absolutely live up to their name, and you definitely need to try them. With all their delicious flavors and such an easy recipe, there’s no reason not to give them a try. Make a batch of these awesome chicken burritos, and I promise you’ll never want to stop making them. They’re just that good!
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas – This chicken enchilada recipe starts out with slow cooked chicken that is seasoned perfectly, lots of cheese, and baked until the cheese is hot and bubbly. So good.
Fried Burritos – These fried burritos are absolutely delicious and loaded with beef, pork, onions, garlic, beans, jalapeno, two types of cheese, and more, then fried to golden perfection.
Cheesy Ground Beef Empanadas – These delicious and flaky empanadas are filled with deliciously seasoned ground beef, two types of cheese and baked until golden brown.
And, here are some Easy Beef and Bean Enchiladas, from Deliciously Seasoned, that you will enjoy as well.
Awesome Chicken Burritos
For the Seasoning
- Cut each chicken breasts into 3 strips (for easier grilling).
- Add to a large sealable baggie or large bowl and set aside.
For the Marinade
- Follow the directions on the box.
- Add red wine vinegar to the line indicated on your cruet.
- Add water, then packet contents, then oil.
- Close lid and shake until well combined.
- Pour over chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Grill marinated chicken over low heat until temperature of chicken reaches 165°. Discard remaining marinade.
For the Salsa
- Pour salsa in a medium bowl.
- Add tomatoes, onions, cilantro and avocados.
- Gently stir until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Assembling Your Burritos
- When assembling the burritos, cut chicken into strips.
- Heat beans in a small saucepan until hot.
- In a large frying pan, over medium heat, cook uncooked tortillas until cooked to your likeness (if you cannot find the uncooked, raw tortillas, you can use regular tortillas).
- Once tortillas are cooked, butter tortilla.
- Next, add 2 tablespoons of ranch style beans, followed by chicken and finally salsa.
- Roll up and enjoy!
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.