This delicious cheesy mashed potatoes recipe is a unique spin on the classic mashed potato dish. It is made by combining mashed potatoes with cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, and sliced green onions.
Mashed potatoes are the iconic side dish for any meal. From weeknight dinners to huge holiday spreads, you’ll always find mashed potatoes on the table. Always. Although everyone loves this tasty dish, it can get boring quickly. I know I’ve made mashed potatoes for years, and even after adding roasted garlic, chives, and even making it with broth in addition to cream, after a few years, I started to get bored with the recipe. That’s when I decided to really make my potatoes pop. This delicious recipe takes mashed potatoes and makes them extra creamy and rich, tangy, and loaded with cheese.
Adding all of that delicious flavor doesn’t really take much extra effort, either, which is a great combo. I spend practically zero extra time in the kitchen, which means I can whip up one of the most delicious mashed potatoes recipes ever for a weeknight meal or wow people at potlucks and holidays. You can, too, after you make them.
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
This delicious, cheesy mashed potato recipe starts with russet potatoes boiled until they’re tender. Then, I mash them up with heavy cream, cream cheese, and sour cream. There’s a secret ingredient, as well, that we’ll get to later. Finally, I spice them add green onions and cheddar cheese, and bake them until they’re gooey, cheesy, creamy, and so delicious.
Why You’ll Love This Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- They’re creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor.
- They’re a delicious side dish recipe that everyone loves, and they go with almost any dish.
- They are always a welcomed additions to the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner menu.
- And, they’re so easy to make!
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Tips and Variations
Although this is an easy recipe, I do have some tips to help ensure they come out as creamy and delicious as possible. I also have some delicious variations that I think you’ll love.
- Cube your potatoes before boiling so that they cook evenly, avoiding parts that are too mushy and too firm.
- Thoroughly drain your potatoes, removing as much water as possible before creaming them.
- Mash your potatoes as soon after they’re cooked as possible so everything stays nice and hot.
- Try adding roasted garlic for more deep garlic flavor.
- Add crumbled crisp bacon for a blast of flavor.
- Diced jalapenos add a kick of flavorful heat.
What to Serve with This Cheesy Mashed Potato Recipe
Mashed potatoes pair well with almost anything, and these cheesy mashed potatoes are no different. Serve them with:
- Fried chicken
- Baked chicken
- Pot roast
- Pork chops
- Pork roast
- Almost any dish you want!
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about these mashed potatoes.
What potatoes are best for mashing?
There are two potatoes that are always chosen for mashed potatoes because they deliver the classic mashed potato texture that we all know and love.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: Deliver the classic dense mashed potato texture.
- Russet Potatoes: Deliver light, fluffy mashed potatoes.
Can this cheesy mashed potatoes recipe be made in advance?
These potatoes can be made in advance. Bake them up, keep them in your casserole dish, and heat them up the next day in the oven.
Are mashed potatoes better with milk or heavy cream?
Both are delicious, but to get that classic, whipped texture that you always find at restaurants, use heavy cream.
Can you freeze mashed potatoes?
Absolutely. They freeze well and easily. Cool them completely, then place them in a heavy-duty, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
You can store these potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months. To reheat, place them in a 350-degree oven in their baking dish and bake covered for 15 to 20 minutes. If frozen, place in the fridge overnight then reheat.
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious recipe. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Russet potatoes, peel and cube
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Sour cream
- Large egg
- Green onions, sliced
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
How to Make This Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Making these potatoes is just as easy as gathering up the ingredients. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Boil the Potatoes
Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and return them to the pot or a large bowl.
Step 2: Mash the Potatoes
Add heavy cream, cream cheese, and sour cream to the potatoes and mash them with a potato masher or hand mixer. Then, add the egg, garlic, salt, and pepper, and beat the eggs until fluffy.
Step 3: Bake
Stir the green onions and half of the sharp cheddar cheese into the potatoes and add them to the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees until heated through.
Step 4: Serve
Remove the potatoes from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese, and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Cheesy Mashed Potato Recipe Today
This cheesy mashed potato recipe is rich, creamy, and so cheesy. These are the richest mashed potatoes you’ll ever make, and once you do, you’ll find yourself looking for any excuse to put them on the table. And they’re ready in no time! Give them a try, and get ready to fall in love.
Here are More Potato Recipes to Try
Garlic Scalloped Potatoes – These potatoes are loaded with three types of cheese, sour cream, lots of garlic, and thinly cut potatoes. this recipe makes the perfect side dish for holidays or a delicious addition to a simple weeknight dinner.
Loaded Mashed Potatoes – These loaded potatoes are everything you love about baked potatoes, but made into everyone’s favorite side dish; mashed potatoes!
Mini Parmesan Baked Potatoes – Cheesy potatoes that are oven roasted to a perfect crispiness. These make the best side dish for any type of dinner.
And, try these Cheesy Funeral Potatoes from Deliciously Seasoned. They’re made with Ritz crackers, shredded cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream.
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- 8 medium russet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 ounce cream cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease or spray a 3 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot of water, add potatoes and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cook until potatoes are tender drain, and return to pot.
- Add heavy cream, cream cheese, and sour cream. Mash.
- Next, add egg, garlic salt, and pepper. Beat until fluffy.
- Stir the green onions and half of the sharp cheddar cheese into the potato mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove from oven and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Serve hot and enjoy with your favorite main dish.