This delicious blueberry pretzel salad is a sweet and salty summer dessert recipe made with a crunchy pretzel crust, a sweet and creamy cream cheese layer, and a blueberry topping. A winning combination of flavors that are simply irresistible.
Pretzel salad. Is it a salad? No. Is it healthy? Also, no. Is it delicious? Abso-freaking-lutely! For the uninitiated, pretzel salad is a layered dessert with a sweet and salty pretzel crust, a sweet and tangy cream cheese layer, and either a layer of Jello or a layer of pie filling on top. It’s the absolute best of the best when it comes to sweet and salty desserts. I’ve been making pretzel salad for a long time, and it’s always been a favorite among my family and friends. After one bite of this recipe, you’ll understand why!
Blueberry Pretzel Salad
This delicious dessert starts with a simple pretzel crust that’s both salty and sweet. Then, I top it with a sweet and tangy cream cheese mixture that’s light and fluffy thanks to the addition of Cool Whip. Finally, the entire thing is topped with blueberry pie filling AND a homemade blueberry compote. It’s chilled overnight and then absolutely devoured the next day!
Why You’ll Love This Blueberry Pretzel Salad Recipe
- It’s a delicious combination of sweet and salty flavors that are simply irresistible, with the salty and crunchy pretzel crust, the sweet and creamy cheesecake layer, and the tart and juicy blueberries.
- It’s super easy to make and only takes a few simple ingredients, and a few simple steps.
- It is a crowd-pleaser and is perfect for potlucks, parties, or family gatherings, and it is sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it.
Blueberry Pretzel Salad Ingredients
Everything you need to make this recipe is either in your kitchen or at the grocery store. It’s all common ingredients that are easy to find and use.
- Coarsely crushed pretzels,
- Brown sugar
- All purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
- Melted butter
- Fresh blueberries
- Lemon juice
- Blueberry pie filling
- Cream cheese
- Cool whip
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Blueberry Pretzel Salad Ingredients
This classic dessert is as easy as it is delicious. It’s three layers, all of which are ridiculously simple to make. That’s it, and that’s all!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Crush the Pretzels
Pulse the pretzels in a food processor until they’re coarsely crushed. You can also place them in a baggie and crush them with a rolling pin or wooden mallet.
Step 3: Make the Pretzel Crust
Combine the crushed pretzels, brown sugar, flour, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Then, add the melted butter and mix. Press the pretzel mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish, reserving ½ cup of the mixture for topping. Bake for 10 minutes. Then remove the crust and let it cool.
Step 4: Make the Blueberry Topping
Combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the blueberries burst and the mixture begins to thicken. Set aside to cool.
Step 5: Make the Cream Cheese Mixture
Beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl for 2 to 3 minutes with an electric mixture until light and fluffy. Then, add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Finally, mix in the Cool Whip until just combined.
Step 6: Layer
Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cooled pretzel crust. Then, spoon the blueberry pie filling over the cream cheese mixture. Finally, spoon the homemade blueberry topping over the pie filling and sprinkled with the reserved pretzel mixture.
Step 7: Chill
Cover with foil or plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours to overnight. Enjoy!
- Be sure both your crust and your blueberry filling are fully cooled before layering the pretzel salad. You don’t want the cream cheese mixture to melt.
- Stir continuously when making the blueberry filling to prevent sticking or burning.
- You can chill this recipe for 4 hours minimum, but overnight makes it so much better.
- Use any fruit pie filling for this recipe.
- Use fruity Jello instead of pie filling for a classic pretzel salad.
- For extra berry goodness, fold fresh blueberries into the cream cheese mixture, as well.
What to Serve with Blueberry Pretzel Salad
Serve this classic summer treat with all of your favorite classic summer foods. Anything that you’d serve at a backyard barbecue or cookout will work well with this dessert.
A pretzel crust usually falls apart for one of two reasons: there either wasn’t enough butter to hold the pretzel crumbs together or the crumbs weren’t small enough.
Pretzel salad is a dessert made with a crushed pretzel crust, a layer of a cream cheese and Cool Whip mixture, and a top layer of either Jello or fruit filling of some kind.
Pretzel salad is actually better when it’s made ahead of time. Make this blueberry pretzel salad and refrigerate it overnight for the best flavor.
Pretzel salad shouldn’t be frozen. The texture is never quite the same when it’s thawed out.
How to Store Leftover Blueberry Pretzel Salad
Store this pretzel salad in the fridge covered for up to 4 days. Don’t freeze this salad, as the texture will be off.
Try This Delicious Blueberry Pretzel Salad Recipe Today
This blueberry pretzel salad is a berry-licious classic that’s as easy as it is delicious. It only takes a few minutes to make each of the layers. The only time-consuming part of the recipe is waiting for it to chill! From pool parties to summertime desserts and as part of a table of sweets for any gathering, this blueberry pretzel salad is always a great choice. Give it a try, and I know you’ll be making it all summer long!
More Delicious Blueberry Dessert You’ll Enjoy
If you love cheesecake, then this Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake is a must make. It’s so creamy and delicious, and is always a hit with family and friends. It is great for potlucks, parties, and family get-togethers.
Blueberry Pretzel Salad
- Preheat the oven to 375° and lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a food processor, or large baggie, add pretzels and crush into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, add coarsely crushed pretzel, brown sugar, flour and vanilla. Stir.
- Melt butter and add to the pretzel mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. Press into an even layer, reserving ½ cup of pretzel mixture to use for the topping.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a small saucepan, add blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. Stir.
- Heat over medium heat until blueberries burst and thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Cream Cheese Mixture
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until combined.
- Next, add the cool whip and mix just until combined.
- Once the pretzel crust has cooled completely, spread cream cheese mixture evenly over the pretzel crust.
- Spoon the blueberry pie filling on top of the cream cheese mixture, then spoon the homemade blueberry topping on top of the pie filling.
- Sprinkle reserved pretzel mixture on top of blueberry topping.
- Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.