Beef noodle casserole is a hearty, delicious, and easy ground beef recipe that’s perfect on a cold night, busy weeknight, or as a casual dinner the whole family will enjoy. It is loaded with deliciously seasoned ground beef in a savory tomato sauce, with corn, egg noodles, and lots of cheddar cheese.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Casseroles are the way to go if you want a delicious meal that you can make in no time flat. My mom used to make them all the time, and when I moved out on my own, I made them all the time, as well. They’re cost-effective, efficient, and you can eat them for a few days. When I became a wife and mom, I soon discovered that that equation worked as well for family life as it did for single life. So I’ve pretty much been making casseroles for my entire adult life!
One of my favorite casseroles is this beef noodle casserole. I’ve been making it since my kids were little. It’s a quick and easy family dinner that will last for a couple of days, and if you have kids in high school, it makes a great after-school snack for them and their friends. It’s a simple recipe that uses affordable ingredients which is also a big plus!
Beef Noodle Casserole
This delicious casserole starts with a base of ground beef, onions, garlic, corn, and an easy tomato sauce. I mix it with cheese and cooked noodles, then I top it with more cheese, cover it until it’s melty and I have a hefty, hearty, beefy, and CHEESY meal that the entire family loves. I still love serving this when the kids come over to visit, and I routinely bring it to potlucks.
Why You’ll Love This Beef Noodle Casserole
- It’s a classic comfort food recipe that is hearty and satisfying, and perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
- It is easy to make, and even a busy weeknight can handle making this dish in less than 45 minutes.
- It is versatile and can be customized to your family’s liking, such as adding in your favorite vegetables, and different types of cheese, and you can use your favorite pasta.
Beef Noodle Casserole Ingredients
You’ll only need a few basic ingredients to make this recipe. One of the best parts about this casserole is that many of them are pantry staples. You’ll probably only have to shop for a few of the ingredients listed here, which is always nice.
- Ground beef
- Medium onion
- Cloves garlic
- Dried parsley
- Black pepper
- Tomato sauce
- Petite diced tomatoes
- Beef broth
- Whole kernel corn
- Egg noodles
- Sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Beef Noodle Casserole
Making this casserole is just about as easy as it gets. This is everything Hamburger Helper wishes it could be, and it’s exactly as easy as the box. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Cook the Beef
Cook the ground beef and onions over medium heat in a large, cast iron skillet until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are tender. Then, add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Add seasonings, stir to combine.
Step 2: Add the Tomato, Corn, and Cheese
Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and corn. Then, stir, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 cups of the cheese, and stir to combine.
Step 3: Make the Noodles
While the meat mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium high heat and cook the egg noodles according to the package directions for al dente. Drain and rinse.
Step 4: Combine Together
Mix the noodles into the beef mixture in the large skillet and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, cover until the cheese is melted. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Don’t overcook your ground beef or it will be tough and rubbery.
- Cook your noodles to al dente and no further so they don’t break apart when you mix them into the beef.
- Everything is already hot and cooked so just cover the skillet until the remaining cheese is melted, and you’re good.
- Always drain your beef. Even lean beef will make some fat while it cooks, and you don’t want a greasy dish.
- You can use ground turkey or pork in place of ground beef.
- For a Tex-Mex version, use chorizo and add diced jalapenos.
- Cheddar, cheddar Jack, Monterey Jack, and other similar cheeses work well in this dish.
- Use any short noodle variety in place of egg noodles, if you prefer.
- Add different veggies, such as diced carrots, peas, mushrooms.
- Top with sour cream for added creaminess.
What to Serve with Beef Noodle Casserole
This is an extremely hearty casserole, and as such, I recommend keeping the side dishes light. I usually recommend a side salad and some crusty bread or garlic bread. Anything more than that will leave you feeling too heavy.
Beef noodle casserole is a simple dish made with ground beef and a seasoned tomato base, cheese, and noodles. Then, it’s baked until melty.
Yes. Beef noodle casserole freezes very well and will last for up to 3 months when stored properly.
This casserole will last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Beef noodle casserole reheats well, but I recommend making it fresh the first time you eat it. It’s just so good!
A casserole is any recipe prepared in a casserole dish – a deep, wide baking dish. Anything prepared in such a dish is considered a casserole. Even lasagna and deep dish pizza are technically casseroles, believe it or not!
How to Store and Reheat Beef Noodle Casserole Leftovers
Refrigerate this casserole for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the casserole, microwave single portions covered at 1-minute intervals until hot. You can also reheat the entire casserole in a covered casserole dish at 350 until heated through.
Try This Easy Beef Noodle Casserole Recipe Today
This beef noodle casserole is incredibly easy to make and so hard to stop eating. You can’t beat that combination! It’s the perfect family dinner or addition to any potluck, and everyone always loves it. You’ll love how quick and simple it is. With so much flavor, and so little work, this is one recipe you definitely need to try. And once you do, you’ll find yourself making it all the time!
More Delicious Beef Recipes You’ll Enjoy
These delicious Cheesy Ground Beef Empanadas are a delicious appetizer, snack, or meal for lunch or dinner. Flaky empanadas filled with perfectly seasoned ground beef, two types of cheese, and baked to golden perfection.
Beef Noodle Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- (2) 15 ounce cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 16 ounce egg noodles
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- In a large cast iron skillet, over medium heat, add ground beef and onions. Cook until the meat is no longer pink and onions are tender. Add minced garlic and cook for another two minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
- Sprinkle seasonings over meat mixture, stir to combine.
- Pour tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and corn together. Stir, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add two cups of shredded cheese into the meat mixture. Stir to combine.
- While the meat mixture is cooking, cook the egg noodles according to package directions for al dente. Drain and rinse.
- Add noodles to the ground beef mixture. Stir to combine and sprinkle the remaining two cups of shredded cheese over the top. Cover until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with a side salad and crusty bread.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.