These delicious mini apple pie cookie bites are the perfect individual dessert recipe that is perfect for the fall season. These tasty bites are made with a soft and chewy sugar cookie dough that is baked in a mini muffin pan and filled with a homemade apple pie filling, and topped with whipped cream or frosting, and caramel drizzle.
If you’re looking for a delicious fall or holiday dessert that’s a little different, then you’ve come to the right place. Today, I have a sweet treat that’s one part cookie, one part apple pie, and 100% delicious. I’ve been making these apple pie cookie bites for several years, now. I got the recipe from a friend, and over the years, I’ve tweaked it and played with it until I had a version that I was completely in love with. I love to serve these apple pie bites at parties and potlucks, and I’ll often bring a batch to our family Thanksgiving and Christmas get-togethers. They’re so easy and delicious, and being bite-sized, they’re as cute as they are tasty.
Apple Pie Cookie Bites
This recipe starts with a simple cookie dough that I bake in a mini muffin tin. I press down the center of the cookies with the handle of a spoon while they’re hot to create cookie cups, and then I let them cool until they’re set. After that, I make a homemade apple pie filling that full of the sweetness of brown sugar, firm but tender Granny Smith apples, and cinnamon. Finally, I top them with frosting (or whipped cream) and caramel sauce. After that, they just disappear! They’re a beautiful addition to any party or holiday table.
Why You’ll Love This Apple Pie Cookie Bite Recipe
- They combine two favorites into one delicious treat: apple pie and sugar cookies.
- They are perfectly portioned and are the perfect size for a midday snack or after-dinner dessert, and they are small enough to be enjoyed in one or two bites.
- They’re easy to make and can be customized to your liking by using different types of apples, and different spices and can be topped with your favorite frosting or whipped cream.
Apple Pie Cookie Bites Ingredients
You’ll only need some basic baking ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll almost certainly have most if not all of them in your kitchen right now. Anything you don’t have can be found in just a few aisles at the grocery store.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Granny Smith apples
- Ground cinnamon
- Lemon juice
- Optional: caramel sauce
How to Make Apple Pie Cookie Bites
Making these apple pie cookie bites is incredibly simple. The cookie crust is simple and easy to make, and the pie filling only takes a few minutes to make. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in just about 50 minutes!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Cookie Ingredients
Mix the butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs in a large bowl.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.
Step 4: Mix the Cookie Dough
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing on medium speed until just combined.
Step 5: Bake
Roll the dough into ½-inch balls and press them firmly into the bottom of the muffin pan. Then, bake for 15 to 17 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the middle of the cookies are fully set.
Step 6: Make the Cup Shape
Remove the cookies from the oven and press the end of a wooden spoon into the middle of each cookie to create cookie cups. Let cool completely.
Step 7: Make the Apple Pie Filling
Bring the water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice to a boil, stirring constantly, in a medium saucepan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thickened. Then, add the chopped apples, stir, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Step 8: Fill the Cups
Fill each cooled cookie cup with the pie filling. Top with frosting, or whipped cream, and caramel sauce before serving. Enjoy!
- Press the spoon handle into the center of the cookies while they’re hot so they easily form cups.
- Stir constantly while making the apple pie filling to prevent scorching.
- Be sure the cookies are fully cooled before filling to ensure they hold their shape after being filled.
- Dice the apples into small chunks so they fit easily into the cups.
- You can use any of your favorite apples for the filling.
- Gingerbread cookie dough makes a wonderful cup for the pie filling.
- Snickerdoodle cookie dough works well.
- Try adding allspice along with cinnamon to the apple pie filling.
What to Serve with Apple Pie Cookie Bites
These delicious bites are perfect with a dollop of whipped cream on top or a scoop of ice cream on the side. They’re also wonderful with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea.
Apple pie cookie bites are a sweet dessert consisting of a cookie dough cup and filled with homemade apple pie filling.
Although Granny Smith apples are famous for staying crisp in pie filling, there are a few other varieties that also maintain their firmness while baking. Good choices are:
No, not all apples are good to use when making pie. Some apples are too soft and will break down too much when they are baked, resulting in a mushy pie filling.
Honeycrisp apples are very good for baking. They’re one of the sweetest apple varieties, and they retain a nice firmness while being baked in pies.
These apple pie cookie cups freeze very well and will last for up to 3 months when stored correctly.
How to Store Apple Pie Cookie Bites
Refrigerate these cookie pies for up to 5 days. For longer storage, wrap each bite tightly in clingwrap, place them in an airtight, freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Try These Delicious Caramel Apple Pie Cookie Bites
These apple pie cookie bites are loaded with sweet apple pie filling and a delicious cookie crust to create a dessert that will have everyone coming back for more. And you’ll be fine with that because they’re also incredibly easy to make! Such a simple treat that’s so sweetly delicious is just begging you to make it! Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Delicious Mini Dessert Recipes You’ll Enjoy
These Apple Pecan Fritter Bites are a delicious bite-size apple fritter recipe that is easy to make and is the perfect size for a sweet treat that the whole family will enjoy.
Apple Pie Cookie Bites
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a mini muffin pan(s) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix butter, sugar, brown sugar, rum extract, and eggs together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until just combined.
- Roll dough into ½ inch balls and press firmly into the bottom of the muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until edges are golden brown and the middle of the cookie is fully set.
- Let sit in the muffin pan for 20 minutes and cool completely.
- Take the end of a spatula and press into the middle of each cookie to create a cup for filling.
Apple Cinnamon Filling
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring for 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens up.
- Add apple pieces to the saucepan, stir and let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once the cookies are cool, spoon a small amount of apple filling into each mini cookie cup.
- Add whipped cream or frosting to the top of each cookie bite, then drizzle with caramel sauce, and enjoy.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.