Apple pie bites are a delicious and easy-to-make dessert. They are made with a homemade apple filling, a sweet cream cheese filling, wonton wrappers, and caramel sauce. The apple filling is tart and flavorful, while the cream cheese filling is smooth and creamy. The wonton wrappers add a bit of crunch, and the powdered sugar and caramel sauce gives them a sweet finish.
If you love apple pie, and you love creative recipes, then you’re in luck today. My delicious wonton apple pie bites take the sensibilities of apple pie and combine them with the crunchiest “crust” you’ll ever have and a healthy dose of cinnamon sugar to really make it all pop. Unlike many of my recipes, I’ve only been making this one for a short time. They’re so good, I knew I had to share them with all of you!
Apple Pie Bites
These delicious deep fried wonton apple bites start with a homemade apple pie filling featuring the classic flavor and texture of Granny Smith apples. Then, I make another cream cheese mixture. I take those fillings and wrap them up in wonton wrappers and deep fry them to golden, crispy perfection. Finally, I roll them in a cinnamon sugar mixture to create an apple pie variation that always has everyone drooling. It’s actually very easy to make, and it’s so good that you’ll be looking for reasons to make them. It only takes one bite to be hooked!
Why You’ll Love this Apple Pie Bites Recipe
- They are the perfect combination of sweet and tart, with the apple pie filling that is tart and flavorful, while the sweet cream cheese filling is smooth and creamy.
- The crispy wontons are deep fried and are filled with the apples and cream cheese mixture.
- They are easy to make and are the perfect sweet treat during the fall season. Crispy, crunchy, sweet, and delicious.
Apple Pie Bites Ingredients
Outside of the wonton wrappers, this recipe uses simple, basic baking ingredients that you can find in your kitchen or at your local grocery store. Even the wonton wrappers are found everywhere these days.
- Granny Smith apples
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Wonton wrappers (might use more)
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Caramel sauce
How to Make Apple Pie Bites
Making these little apple pie wontons is a lot easier than you might think. Filling and wrapping the wontons is simple, as are the homemade fillings, and it all comes together so quickly!
Step 1: Make the Apple Filling
Bring water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice to a boil over low heat in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Then, add the chopped apples, stir, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 2: Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Beat the cream cheese for 2 to 3 minutes in a medium bowl until fluffy. Then, add the sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat for another 2 minutes.
Step 3: Add the Filling
Add 1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling to the center of each wonton wrapper followed by a tablespoon of apple filling on top of the cream cheese filling.
Step 4: Wrap
Moisten the edges of the wonton wrappers. Then, fold up the edges of the wrappers, removing as much air as possible and pinching the edges together at the top to seal them.
Step 5: Fry
Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy frying pan over medium-high heat to 375 degrees. Place a few wontons at a time in the oil and fry until golden brown on all sides. Transfer the wontons to a plate lined with paper towels Repeat until all wontons are made.
Step 6: Coat
Roll the wontons in cinnamon sugar, then sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle with caramel sauce. Enjoy!
- Fully soften your cream cheese for the creamiest filling.
- Stir your apple pie mixture frequently to prevent sticking or burning.
- You only need to moisten the edges of the wonton wrappers with water. Don’t drown them.
- You can use apple pie filling in place of homemade.
- Use your favorite fruit to change the kind of pie bites you make, such as blueberry. cherry, peach, raspberry and blackberry.
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts to the apple filling.
- You can make apple pie egg rolls by using egg roll wrappers.
What to Serve with Apple Pie Bites
Just like traditional apple pie, a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea is always a welcome pairing. These are amazing when dipped in whipped cream or served alongside a scoop of ice cream, as well.
These apple pie bites have a cream cheese filling, so they should be refrigerated at all times.
These bites will last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator
Granny Smith apples are the undisputed queens of baking thanks to their super crisp texture and tart flavor.
You can freeze these for up to a month.
These apple pie bites are best served fresh. However, you can make the fillings in advance and then wrap them up in the wonton wrappers and fry them when ready to serve. Just bring your fillings to room temperature first.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Wonton Apple Pie Bites
Refrigerate these bites for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can freeze them in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to a month.
To reheat the bites, place them in the air fryer for 5 to 8 minutes at 350 until hot and crispy.
Try This Delicious Deep Fried Apple Pie Bites Recipe Today
These wonton apple pie bites are full of classic apple pie filling, a sweet and tangy cream cheese filling, and wrapped up in a crispy wonton “crust”. Then, they’re coated in cinnamon sugar to finish them off. They might not be pretty but they are absolutely delicious, so easy to make, and super fun to serve and eat! Whether you need a dessert for a weeknight dinner or something new to bring to a potluck or party, these are the next apple pie recipe you should be making. Give them a try!
More Delicious Apple Dessert Recipe You’ll Enjoy
These Apple Cream Cheese Egg Rolls are filled with a sweet cream cheese and an apple pie filling, then fried to crispy perfection. A delicious apple dessert recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Apple Pie Bites
Apple Cinnamon Filling
Apple Cinnamon Filling
- In a medium saucepan, over low heat, bring water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring for 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens up.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add chopped apples, stir and let simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cream Cheese Mixture
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add some cream cheese filling in the center of the wonton wrapper followed by apple cinnamon mixture.
- Using your fingers, dip into water and rub water along the edges of the wrapper. This will help seal the wontons.
- Fold up the edges of the wrapper, pinching them together at the top, making sure to remove as much air as possible, twist to secure, if needed.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or frying pan to 375°.
- Place a few wonton bites at a time in the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar together.
- Roll each bite in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then sprinkle with powdered sugar, and drizzle with caramel sauce.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.