Wait until you try how amazing these Apple Cream Cheese Egg Rolls are. Fried to crunchy perfection, these delicious dessert egg rolls are sure to make your friends, family and guests very happy. Filled with a homemade apple filling and a delicious cream cheese mixture then dusted with powdered sugar make for a delicious apple treat.
These apple pie egg rolls remind me slightly of getting McDonald’s® Apple Pies as a child. Filled with a homemade apple pie filling in a crispy outer shell, but one bite of these egg rolls you will taste the difference. The taste is absolutely amazing. All the flavors of a warm apple pie made even better with a crispy, crunchy, shell and a delicious cream cheese filling.
Are Apple Pie Egg Rolls Fried
While some egg rolls are deep fried, these are pan fried. With a little oil in the pan, you are getting the same taste of a fried apple pie but without having to worry about deep frying and all the oil that is used.
Can Egg Rolls Be Made in the Air Fryer
If you want to make these healthier but still have the same crunch, you can Air Fry the apple cinnamon egg rolls. Set the air fryer to 390 and once it is heated, fry for 8 minutes on one side and another 5 on the other side.
Can I Use Store Bought Pie Filling
I love making homemade pie filling whenever I can. I can make the perfect amount of apple pie filling. It is also the best tasting pie filling you will ever eat. However, I know that sometimes you simply don’t have time or ingredients on hand when you decide to make these spur of the moment. In that case, you can use store bought pie filling.
Are These Dessert Egg Rolls Served with a Glaze
I make a cream cheese filling that gets mixed with the homemade apple filling. I do not add a glaze over the top, just a simple dusting of powdered sugar.
Can These Egg Rolls Be Made Ahead
When you are making these apple cinnamon egg rolls, you do not want to make them ahead. You can make the apple filling and the cream cheese mixture ahead but I do not recommend filling or baking the egg rolls before you plan to serve them.
Ingredients To Make Apple Cream Cheese Egg Rolls
- Granny Smith apples, diced in small pieces
- Lemon juice
- Cream Cheese
- Egg Roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
(Actual measurements are in the recipe card below.)
How To Make Apple Cinnamon Egg Rolls
- For The Apple Filling: Start out by bringing water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice to a boil over low/ medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens up. Once sauce has thickened, add chopped apples and stir. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For The Cream Cheese Filling: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Next add sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Assembling The Egg Rolls: Place a egg roll wrapper on a clean work surface and add 1-2 tablespoons of cream cheese filling in the center of the egg roll and spread it out a bit. Follow with 1-2 tablespoons of apple filling. Dip your fingers into water and rub water along the edges of each wrapper (which helps seal the egg rolls). Fold the outside edges inward over the filling then roll the front edge up over the filling and then tightly fold towards the back. Heat oil in a large skillet or cast iron pan (or can use a deep fryer) to 375° and place a few egg rolls into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides then remove from skillet and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Cool slightly and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Try This Delicious Recipe Today
Here are a few more delicious apple dessert recipes that can be found on the blog:
- Apple Pecan Cake with Caramel Glaze
- Caramel Apple Pecan Cobbler
- Apple Pecan Monkey Bread
- And, Apple Pear Walnut Crisp, plus many, many more.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peel, core and chop into small chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1½ cups water
- ¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, for dusting
In a medium saucepan, over low heat, bring water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice to a boil, stirring constantly.
Continue stirring for 3-4 minutes until sauce thickens up.
Once sauce has thickened, add chopped apples, stir and let simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
Add sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
Add 1-2 heaping tablespoon of cream cheese filling in the center of the egg roll wrapper followed by a heaping 1-2 heaping tablespoons of apple cinnamon mixture.
Using your fingers, dip into water and rub water along the edges of the wrapper. This will help seal the egg rolls.
Fold outside edges inward over the filling and then roll the front edge up over the filling and towards the back.
Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or frying pan to 375°.
Place a few egg rolls at a time in pan and fry until golden brown on both sides.
Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.