These soft, thick, and chewy Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies are delicious and super easy to make. The baking chips and sprinkles are baked in the cookie dough and added on top, baked to perfection, and are definitely a favorite sugar cookie recipe.
Sugar cookies are one of my favorite cookie recipes to make. You can just do so much with them. The base cookie dough is so simple and classic with a mellow, sweet flavor, which makes it perfect for playing with. Additions ideas abound with these cookies, from frosting them to mixing in sprinkles and so much more. I’ve been toying with sugar cookies for years, which is how I ended up making these delicious Valentine’s sugar cookies.
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies
Like all good sugar cookies – at least, in my opinion – this recipe uses dough that bakes up soft, chewy, and thick. I love soft sugar cookies, and if you do, too, these are for you. From there, we stir cupid mix into the cookies. This pretty mix adds extra sweetness along with pretty pastel pink and white colors that are perfect for Valentine’s Day. After they’re baked up, these soft, chewy sugar cookies are loaded with flavor and color, making a festive gift for kids, relatives, or that special someone in your life.
Why You’ll Love These Valentine Sugar Cookies
- They are so thick, soft, and chewy. Every bit is like a puffy, caky cloud of deliciousness in your mouth.
- These are so easy that you can have the kids help make them. It’s a great intro to cooking for them and helps create great family memories.
- It’s made with simple ingredients and is a great cookie for any occasion.
- You can play with the mix-ins to suit your needs or leave them out altogether and just make plain cookies.
Tips and Variations
Although this is an extremely easy recipe to make, I do have some tips that will help you make it the best that it can possibly be. I also have some fun variations for you to try, as well!
- Fully soften your butter so it creams correctly with the sugar.
- When creaming the butter and sugar, be sure to beat it for 2 to 3 minutes to get it nice and fluffy.
- For an extra fun take on this Valentine cookie, roll your dough out and use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make heart-shaped cookies.
- To add a bit more flavor, switch out half of the vanilla extract for almond extract.
- Change your sprinkle colors to fit any holiday.
Valentine Sugar Cookies FAQ
If you have questions about these Valentine’s sugar cookies, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Where do sugar cookies come from?
These cookies were first made in the mid-1700s by German protestant settlers in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. The original cookies were crumbly and butter, but they eventually turned into the sugar cookies that we know and love today.
How long will sugar cookies last?
Sugar cookies will last for up to 2 weeks at room temperature in an air-tight container stored in a cool, dry place.
Can you freeze sugar cookies?
yes! You can freeze them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.
Why is my sugar cookie dough crumbly?
Don’t worry, the dough is supposed to be a little crumbly. If you followed the directions, that crumbly dough will bake up into absolutely delicious Valentine sugar cookies.
How do you decorate sugar cookies?
Instead of – or along with – the sprinkles in the dough, you can frost your sugar cookies or top them with royal icing. You can also add more sprinkles to the top of the frosting or icing.
How to Store Homemade Sugar Cookies
Place your sugar cookies in an air-tight container and store them at room temperature in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks. For longer storage, place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container in single layers with parchment paper between each layer for up to 6 months.
Valentine Sugar Cookies Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these delicious sugar cookies. You’ll most likely have most if not all of the ingredients in your kitchen already.
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Corn syrup
- Yummallo Cupid mix
How to Make Valentine Sugar Cookies
Making these cookies is as easy as the ingredient list. It only takes a few simple steps!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet(s) with sheets of parchment paper.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Cream the butter and sugar together for about 3 minutes in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer on medium-high speed or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Then, add the egg, vanilla, and corn syrup, beating until combined.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
Step 4: Make the Dough
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Then, stir the cupid mix decorations into the dough.
Step 5: Make the cookies
Using a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop, place rounded cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Then, use the bottom of a glass to press down the cookies a bit. Add more sprinkles to the tops of the cookies.
Step 6: Bake
Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Then, remove them from the oven and let them sit on the baking sheet for a couple of more minutes. Finally, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Try These Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies Today
These tasty Valentine sugar cookies are so easy, so good, and so versatile. This version is for Valentine’s Day, but you can change the sprinkle colors to match any holiday or simply leave them out for a good, old-fashioned sugar cookie recipe. However you decide to make them, I know you’ll come back for more again and again.
More Valentine Recipes You Might Enjoy
Valentine Puppy Chow Mix – This puppy chow mix is filled with delicious Chex cereal that is coated in chocolate and powdered sugar, mixed with sweet Valentine’s Day candies. This recipe is perfect for any Valentine’s party or gathering.
Valentine Pretzels – Chocolate-dipped pretzels that are coated with Valentine’s sprinkles are the perfect salty and sweet snack that everyone will enjoy.
Valentine’s Mini Brownie Bites – These mini brownie bites are rich mini brownies that are frosted with a creamy, rich chocolate frosting and topped with a sweet conversation heart.
And these Stuffed Strawberries from Deliciously Seasoned. These fresh strawberries are hulled out and piped with a light, homemade whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate.
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies
- 2 ⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1 cup Yummallo Cupid mix or DECOPAC Valentine Fusion Mix Candy Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using an eclectic mixer, cream butter and sugar together until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat egg, vanilla and corn syrup into mixture until combined
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix.
- Stir cupid mix into cookie dough.
- Using a 1 ½ inch cookie scoop, place rounded cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet.
- Gently press each cookie down and add a little more cupid mix to the tops of each cookie.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cookies sit on the baking sheet for a couple minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.
What is the cupid mix please? I really want to make these.
Great Grub, Delicious Treats
Hi Mary, it’ is Yummallo baking chips that I bought from Sam’s Club.
Where do you find the Cupid 💘 mix?
Great Grub, Delicious Treats
I bought the Cupid mix from Sam’s Club. I know it’s seasonal so it might not be available yet.