These smoked jalapeno popper chicken bombs are absolutely delicious and are great to serve as an appetizer or main course. Impress your family and friends with this delicious smoked chicken bomb recipe with jalapeno poppers stuffed inside and everything wrapped in lots of bacon.
Do you know what’s great? Jalapeno poppers. Guess what’s even better. Transforming them from an appetizer into a full meal. That’s why I’ve done with this recipe. I stuff a jalapeno popper into a chicken breast, wrap it in bacon, then smoke it to perfection! This is a recipe I only started making, and in that time, it’s become crystal clear to me that everyone needs to know about it. It’s always a hit at backyard BBQs. I also love serving it when the kids come over with their families to visit. It’s just about the best stuffed chicken recipe you’ll ever eat.
Smoked Jalapeno Popper Chicken Bombs
These stuffed breasts start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I buy thin breasts and lay them out flat. Then, I stuff jalapenos with the classic popper filling, but I add a twist with hot Italian sausage. Then, I wrap the chicken breasts around each popper, wrap the breasts in bacon, and smoke them until the bacon is crisp, the chicken is cooked, and the entire thing is smoky, delicious perfection. It’s a great recipe for parties of all kinds, and it makes a fantastic weekend recipe when you’re looking for something new and exciting to make on your grill.
Why You’ll Love These Smoked Chicken Bombs
- They’re absolutely delicious, and the combination of stuffed jalapenos wrapped in thin chicken breasts, then wrapped in bacon is simply irresistible.
- The recipe is straightforward and easy to make.
- They can be served as an appetizer or a main course.
- They’re definitely a conversation starter and will impress your guests at your next barbecue or potluck.
Smoked Jalapeno Popper Chicken Bombs Ingredients
This recipe only uses a few simple ingredients that are all available at your local grocery store.
- Chicken breasts
- Hot Italian sausage
- Cream cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onions
- Jalapeño peppers
- Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- Black pepper
- BBQ sauce
How to make Smoked Jalapeno Popper Chicken Bombs
Making these bombs is just as easy as shopping for the ingredients. It only takes a little prep, and then the smoker does all the work.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the smoker to 250 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Mix the Popper Stuffing
Mix sausage, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and green onions in a medium bowl.
Step 3: Stuff the Jalapenos
Cut the ends off of all the jalapenos, slice about a ¼ inch off of each one lengthwise, and remove the seed and membrane. Then, stuff them with the prepared filling.
Step 4: Stuff the Chicken
Place the chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet and season both sides with Cajun seasoning and pepper. Place a stuffed jalapeno onto each breast and roll the breast around the pepper. Then, wrap a strip of bacon around the breasts from end to end and wrap 2 to 3 more pieces around the sides of the breasts to cover them completely. Secure with toothpicks.
Step 5: Smoke the Chicken
Place the chicken bombs on the grill grates and cook for 2 hours. Flip and cook for another 1 ½ – 2 hours. Then, brush the chicken bombs with barbecue sauce and cook for another 20-30 minutes until a thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 165 degrees.
- Use thin chicken breasts so you can easily wrap them around the poppers.
- Toothpicks will ensure that your chicken bombs stayed together while they cook.
- Make sure to preheat your smoker to 250° before you start cooking and use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°.
- You can use ground beef or mild Italian sausage in place of hot Italian sausage.
- Scallions can be used in place of green onions.
- Use your favorite brand and variety of bacon. It all works.
- Use your favorite brand and variety of BBQ sauce or make your own.
What are smoked jalapeno popper chicken bombs?
They’re a stuffed chicken recipe in which chicken breasts are wrapped around jalapeno poppers. Then, they’re wrapped in bacon and smoked on the grill.
Do you rotate chicken when smoking?
Yes. Flip your chicken halfway through smoking for even cooking.
Can you make chicken bombs in advance?
Absolutely. Simply put the bombs together per the directions, then refrigerate them until ready to smoke them.
How long will smoked jalapeno popper chicken bombs last in the fridge?
Smoked jalapeno popper chicken bombs will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze smoked chicken bombs?
You sure can! They freeze very well.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Smoked Chicken Bombs
Store these bombs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat these bombs. place them in the oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Try This Delicious Smoked Jalapeno Popper Chicken Bombs Recipe Today
These smoked jalapeno popper chicken bombs are so full of flavor and so easy to make. With just a few minutes of prep, the hardest part is waiting for them to finish smoking! These make great appetizers or a main dish, and you’ll never have any leftovers. I know I don’t. Give this one a try, and I guarantee they’ll become a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
Here are Some More Delicious Chicken Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Nuggets – A crispy and delicious appetizer or dinner recipe that is easy to make and are best served with ranch dressing or bleu cheese.
Malibu Chicken – A tender, delicious, and crispy piece of chicken that is topped with a slice of ham and Swiss cheese. The perfect dinner for any night of the week.
Mississippi Chicken – A slow-cooked crock pot meal that is loaded with tons of flavor, easy to make, and is a budget friendly recipe.
And, try the Best Chicken Sandwich from Deliciously Seasoned.
Smoked Jalapeno Popper Chicken Bombs
- 10 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 6 ounce cream cheese
- 1 ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions
- 10 jalapenos, slice off both ends, cut ¼ off lengthwise and remove seeds.
- (3) 12 ounce packages bacon
- 2 tablespoon Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- BBQ sauce
- Preheat smoker to 250 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix sausage, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and green onions together until combined.
- Cut the ends off all the jalapenos and then slice approximately ¼ inch lengthwise slice off, scrape out the seeds and fill each jalapeno with the sausage mixture.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and season both sides with Cajun seasoning and pepper.
- Place a stuffed jalapeno on the chicken and roll around the stuffed pepper.
- Take one slice of bacon and wrap around end to end (to hold in the sausage and cheese mixture).
- Then wrap two or three more pieces around the chicken to cover it completely. Use toothpicks to hold the bacon in place.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken and stuffed jalapenos.
- Place the bacon wrapped chicken bombs on the grill grates of the smoker and cook for 2 hours, then flip the chicken with tongs and cook for another 1½ – 2 hours.
- Brush barbecue sauce over each chicken bomb and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the chicken registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove from the smoker and serve with your favorite side dishes.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.