This pancake bites with bacon recipe combines crispy bacon with pancake batter, and then deep fried to crispy perfection, dusted with powdered sugar, and drizzled with maple syrup.
Pancakes and bacon are a classic pairing. If you think bout any big breakfast you’ve ever had, it probably featured sausage, bacon, eggs, and pancakes. They’re practically a requirement. These delicious pancake bites take that classic pairing and combine them into one breakfast that everyone is going to love. With a fluffy inside; deep fried, golden brown outside; and bacon in the center, these bites are everything we love about breakfast with a fun twist.
These bites start with a simple buttermilk pancake batter for that iconic pancake flavor. Then, I dip the bacon in the batter and deep fry it until its golden brown. The batter puffs up during the process, rising just like pancakes on the griddle, so that dipped bacon ends up being a poofy, crispy pancake bite with a bacon center. It’s all done in just a few minutes, and in the end, I have a great dish that makes the perfect breakfast on its own or a tasty addition to other favorites in the morning.
Why You’ll Love These Pancake Bites with Bacon
- They’re delicious and the combination of crispy bacon and fluffy pancakes deep fried and topped with powdered sugar and maple syrup is simply irresistible.
- They are easy to make with just use a few pantry staple ingredients and can be enjoyed in no time.
- They are delicious breakfast finger foods and make dipping into syrup super convenient, plus they are deep fried which makes them even more delicious.
Pancake Bites with Bacon Ingredients
You’ll only need a few basic ingredients to make this recipe. The majority of them are simple baking ingredients that you’ll have in your kitchen right now. In fact, the only thing you might have to shop for is the bacon, and even that might be in your fridge already!
- All-purpose flour is a versatile flour used for a variety of dishes, including pancakes. The protein in the flour helps to bind the ingredients together, while the gluten gives the pancakes their structure.
- Granulated sugar adds sweetness and helps to tenderize the pancakes.
- Baking soda is a leavening agent used to make pancakes rise. It reacts with the acids in the buttermilk and eggs to create carbon dioxide bubbles, which cause the pancakes to rise.
- Salt enhances the flavor of the pancakes and helps to balance out the sweetness of the sugar.
- Baking powder is another leavening agent used to make pancakes rise.
- Large egg adds richness and flavor to the pancakes. It also helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Buttermilk adds a tangy flavor to the pancakes and helps to tenderize them.
- Vegetable oil is used to deep fry the pancakes. It is a neutral-tasting oil that does not add any flavor to the pancakes.
- Applewood bacon adds a smoky flavor to the pancakes.
- Powdered sugar is a used to dust the pancakes for added sweetness.
- Maple syrup is used to drizzle over or dip the pancakes into.
How to Make Pancake Bites with Bacon
Making these bites is very simple. It’s really just cooking bacon and making pancake batter. That’s pretty much all there is to it!
Step 1: Cook the Bacon
Cook the bacon in a large frying pan until crispy. Then, place it on a plate lined with paper towels. Break the bacon slices in half when cool enough to handle and set aside.
Step 2: Make the Pancake Batter
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside. Then, whisk the egg and buttermilk in another bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
Step 3: Fry the Bites
Dip the bacon pieces a few at a time into the pancake batter and add them carefully to the hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown on all sides, then remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all bites are made. Enjoy!
- The batter will be lumpy which is okay. Don’t overmix the batter or the coating with be tough, not fluffy.
- Cook your bites in small batches to ensure the oil remains hot. This ensures crispy bites that aren’t soggy with oil.
- Cook the bacon on medium heat to get crispy bacon that isn’t burned.
- You can make these bites with sausage patties or even sausage links.
- Use your favorite bacon variety for this recipe.
- Add a little cinnamon to the pancake batter for a fun flavor variation.
- You can use boxed pancake mix if you don’t want to make your own.
- Roll the pancake bites in a cinnamon sugar mixture after deep frying.
What to Serve with Pancake Bites
These bites are delicious when topped with powdered sugar and maple syrup. They make a great breakfast all on their own, but you can also pair them with your other favorite breakfast items for a breakfast that’s fully loaded with all the bells and whistles.
- Bacon (yes, more bacon)
- Hash browns
- Fresh fruit
Pancake bites are made by dipping bacon or sausage pieces into pancake batter and then deep frying it. As the batter fries, it puffs up around the meat, creating an oblong pancake treat with a sausage or bacon center.
Absolutely. Any kind of pancake mix can be used as a coating for frying.
Honey and coconut nectar are both excellent, healthier substitutes for maple syrup. Honey is a classic, and coconut nectar has a similar color and flavor to maple syrup.
It can be saved for up to 4 days.
You can freeze these pancake bites for up to 3 months.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Pancake Bites
Store these bites for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the bites in the oven, place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 until heated through.
Try This Delicious Pancake Bites with Bacon Recipe Today
These pancake bites are crispy and golden on the outside; soft, fluffy, and tender on the inside; and have a bacon center. How can you beat that? You can’t! Give these bites a try, and I know you’ll be making them again and again. They’re so good, so easy, and such a fun twist on breakfast, plus the kids love them.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole – Loaded with delicious breakfast sausage, crispy bacon, eggs, cheese and tater tots, this is the perfect breakfast recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Cheesy Sausage Hash Brown Casserole – Shredded hash browns, breakfast sausage, cheese, onions and more are the main ingredients in this delicious casserole dish that is requested over and over again.
Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes with Crispy Bacon – Loaded iced potatoes, onions, bell pepper, garlic and seasonings are cooked until browned and topped with melty cheese and crispy bacon.
And, here is a delicious Crockpot Breakfast Casserole, from our friends over at Slow Cooker Meals, that is loaded with bacon, eggs and cheese, plus onions, peppers, and seasoned perfectly. A hearty breakfast recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Pancakes Bites with Bacon
- Cook bacon until crispy in a large frying pan. Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Break bacon in half. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk together until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir gently. Batter will be lumpy.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Dip each piece of bacon into the pancake batter and add a few at a time into the hot oil.
- Deep fry until golden brown on all sides, remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all the bacon is used.
- Serve hot with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and & YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.