These mini Christmas cookies are the perfect treat for the holiday season. They are bite-sized and are perfect for snacking or sharing. The buttercream frosting is absolutely delicious and the candied sprinkles add a festive touch to the cookies.
These delicious cookies are perfect for the holiday season, but I love to switch up the frosting color and serve them for special occasions all year long. I’ve been making these delicious cookies since my kids were young, and I don’t see myself ever stopping. They’re so good and so easy, and they’re perfect for any gathering. Heck, sometimes I make them with or without frosting just to keep them on hand for snacking.
Mini Christmas Cookies
These cookies start with a simple sugar cookie dough that’s extra chewy and rich thanks to the sour cream that I put in them. I bake them to golden perfection, then I top them with homemade buttercream frosting that I color with food coloring to make them extra festive. It all comes together quickly, and when I’m done I have soft, chew sugar cookies loaded with sweet buttercream frosting that everyone devours.
Why You’ll Love These Mini Christmas Cookies
- They’re so festive and delicious and the mini size makes them perfect for holiday parties or taking to cookie exchange parties during the holidays.
- They are so easy to make and the dough is simple and does not require any eggs, and you do not need to chill the dough.
- The cookies are perfectly matched with the sweetness of the buttercream frosting and candied sprinkles.
- They’re versatile and can be customized with other toppings, such as mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or mini M&M’s.
- They are fun to decorate for all the different holidays.
Mini Christmas Cookie Ingredients
These cookies only take a few basic baking ingredients that are either in your kitchen now or just a short trip to the grocery store away.
- All purpose flour provides structure and is the main ingredient in sugar cookies.
- Baking powder helps the cookies rise.
- Salt enhances the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Butter adds richness and flavor to the cookies and the frosting.
- Vegetable oil helps to keep the cookies moist and tender.
- Sour cream add richness and moisture to the cookies.
- Sugar provides sweetness.
- Vanilla extract adds flavor to the cookies and the buttercream frosting.
- Powdered sugar provides sweetness and structure to the buttercream frosting and is the main ingredient.
- Milk Helps to thin out the frosting a bit and helps it spread easier.
- Blue food coloring is used to color the frosting in holiday colors.
- Holiday sprinkles are festive candied decorations.
These ingredients will help to create delicious and festive mini Christmas sugar cookies that everyone will love and enjoy.
How to Make Mini Christmas Cookies
Making these cookies is very straightforward. The dough is simple and consists of just mixing, and the buttercream frosting comes together in just a few minutes. It’s all done in just a few simple steps.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet(s).
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Mix the dry ingredients by whisking together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl of medium size. Third step: Mix the wet ingredients.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Beat the butter, oil, and sour cream on medium speed in a large bowl with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Then, add the sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Step 4: Make the Cookie Dough
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed just until the dough forms a ball.
Step 5: Roll and Flatten
Roll the dough into ¾-inch balls and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Then, spray the bottom of a glass with non-stick spray and gently press each cookie to flatten them a bit.
Step 6: Bake
Bake the cookie for 8 minutes. Then, remove them from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 7: Make the Frosting
Cream the butter, milk, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Then, gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Divide the frosting into three bowls. Add blue food coloring to one bowl, darker blue in the second bowl, and leave the third bowl of frosting plain.
Step 8: Decorate the Cookies
When the cookies have cooled completely, frost each one with a generous amount of frosting and sprinkle with festive holiday sprinkles. Enjoy!
- Mix the cookie dough just until it forms a ball. Overmixing will make the cookies dense and tough.
- Fully soften your butter for the creamiest frosting and to ensure that there are no little bits of raw butter in the frosting.
- Be sure to spray the bottom of your glass with non-stick spray so your cookies don’t stick to it while pressing them down.
- Change the color of the frosting to match any holiday or special occasion.
- If you don’t have sour cream, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt.
- Try adding toffee chips to the cookie dough.
What to Serve with Mini Christmas Cookies
These cookies taste great when paired with a glass of milk, coffee, or tea. They also make a great addition to a larger dessert table at any gathering, pairing perfectly with all your favorite sweet treats like cupcakes, cakes, pies, other cookies, and more.
These cookies can be frozen successfully and will remain fresh for a maximum of 3 months in the freezer.
I like to start making my Christmas-themed cookies and treats at the beginning of December. I’m a fan of lots of treats during the holidays.
Make the cookie dough, and then freeze it. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw and then bake the cookies when ready to serve.
Peanut butter blossoms take first place for holiday cookies.
Yes. Sugar cookies freeze very well and will last for a few months when stored properly.
How to Store Leftover Mini Christmas Cookies
Keep these cookies in a sealed container at normal room temperature for a maximum of 4 days. Refrigerate them for up to a week in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can freeze them in an airtight container in single layers separated by parchment paper for up to 3 months.
Try These Delicious Mini Christmas Cookies Today
These mini Christmas cookies are rich, sweet, and chewy, and they’re the perfect festive treat for the season. They’re also perfect for any other special occasion, as well. Just change the frosting color! This recipe is so easy and so versatile, you’ll make it a permanent fixture in your cookie collection.
More Delicious Holiday Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Gingerbread Cake with Cinnamon Molasses Frosting is a deliciously moist classic gingerbread cake recipe that has that classic sticky top we all love and enjoy, and then it’s topped with even more deliciousness, a cinnamon molasses frosting. The perfect holiday dessert the whole family will enjoy.
Mini Christmas Cookies
For the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly grease a baking sheet(s).
For the Cookies
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, oil and sour cream together on medium speed using an electric mixer, or a stand mixer, for one minute.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix on low speed just until dough forms a ball.
- Roll the dough into about ¾ inch size dough balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Spray the bottom of a glass with non-stick cooking spray and gently press each cookie to flattened them a bit.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter, milk and vanilla together. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the frosting into three bowls and add blue food coloring to one bowl, darker blue coloring to another, and white frosting added to the third. Stir the food coloring and add additional food coloring to get desired results.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, frost cookies with a generous amount of frosting, then sprinkle with festive holiday sprinkles.
- Let the frosting setup then place cookies in a container for storing and place parchment paper in between the layers.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.