This Homemade Strawberry Crisp is an easy strawberry crisp recipe made with fresh strawberries, and a crunchy crisp topping and is the perfect summer dessert.
I love a fresh berry crisp. It’s a great dessert that’s full of sweet filling, and the sweet crisp topping always pairs perfectly with the berry filling. One of my favorite versions to make is this strawberry crisp. I love it because nothing says spring and summer like strawberries, and it’s just so easy to make! This crisp has been a long-time favorite of mine for family desserts or a tasty, sweet addition to parties and potlucks. Being so easy to make, it’s been a go-to sweet treat for years because I can whip it up in no time with minimal effort and stress. You can’t beat that combo. If you love easy, delicious desserts, then this is the one for you!
Homemade Strawberry Crisp
This delicious recipe starts with a filling made with fresh strawberries. I spice them to perfection with a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice, then I let the macerate in sugar until they’re nice and sweet. Next, I top them with a brown sugar and oat crisp, and I bake the whole thing to golden brown perfection. What I end up with is a rustic, delicious dessert that’s as full of nostalgia as it is flavor. It’s a fantastic dessert that will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth!
Why You’ll Love This Strawberry Crisp Recipe
- It’s made with fresh, juicy strawberries.
- The crisp topping is absolutely delicious.
- It’s easy to make and uses simple ingredients.
- It’s a delicious summer dessert the whole family will love.
Homemade Strawberry Crisp Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. Almost all of them are pantry staples that you probably have in your kitchen right now!
For the Strawberry Filling
- Fresh strawberries, remove the hull, rinse, cut in half
- Lemon juice
- Butter, sliced
For the Crisp Topping
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar, lightly packed
- Rolled oats
- Butter, 2 sticks
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Crisp
Making this crisp is just about the easiest thing you’ll ever do. The filling isn’t even cooked, it simply sits until ready to bake.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Rinse the strawberries, remove their hulls, and cut them in half.
Step 2: Make the Strawberry Filling
Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg together. Then combine them with the strawberries and lemon juice in a large bowl. Let sit for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the mixture in the prepared baking dish, then top with sliced butter.
Step 3: Make the Crumble
Whisk the flour, brown sugar, and oats together in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of butter and mix with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
Step 4: Bake
Spread the crisp mixture evenly over the strawberry mixture, then bake uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Don’t wash your strawberries until you’re ready to use them. Damp berries get moldy easily.
- Let your berries sit for at least 5 minutes coated in sugar so they release their juice and get extra sweet.
- Use cold butter to make the crisp topping for the best texture.
- Use your favorite berries for this recipe. Any of them will work!
- You can slice up your favorite fruits like apples, pears, and peaches for a different filling for this recipe.
- Add a touch of mace to the spice mix if you like.
What to Serve with Homemade Strawberry Crisp
This delicious crisp is delicious on its own, but it’s even better with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It also makes a great dessert after classic meals like:
- Roasted, baked, or fried chicken
- Pork roast or chops
- Pot roast
What is strawberry crisp?
Strawberry crisp is a dessert made with a fresh strawberry filling and topped with a mixture of butter, brown sugar, flour, and oats and then baked.
What’s the difference between a crisp and a crumble?
They’re both very similar. The only real difference is that a crisp has oats in the mixture, while a crumble doesn’t.
Can you make homemade strawberry crisp ahead of time?
Partly. You can make the strawberry filling ahead of time. Then, when you’re ready to bake it, make the crisp topping mixture and bake.
Can you use frozen strawberries?
Fresh is better for the texture, but frozen strawberries will work in this recipe. I recommend defrosting and draining them to ensure your filling isn’t too watery.
Can I freeze homemade strawberry crisp?
You can! It will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Store Homemade Strawberry Crisp
Store this crisp in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze it in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Try This Homemade Strawberry Crisp Today
This delicious homemade strawberry crisp is so easy to make and so delicious. It’s the perfect family dessert or addition to any party. Everyone loves how tasty it is, and you’ll love how easy it is to make! Give this one a try, and I’m sure it will become a regular part of your summer dessert rotation.
More Delicious Crisp and Cobbler Recipes
Cranberry Orange Pecan Crisp – This crisp recipe is made with fresh cranberries, orange and chopped pecans. The cranberries along with the orange zest and juice, plus the crisp topping make a delicious holiday dessert everyone will be talking about.
Blueberry Cobbler – This blueberry cobbler recipe is made with fresh blueberries, and a delicious cobbler topping and then topped with a brown sugar pecan crust on top for the most scrumptious cobbler recipe. Absolutely one of the best cobblers you’ll ever taste.
Apple Pear Walnut Crisp – An easy and delicious apple pear crisp with chopped walnuts is the perfect fall dessert. Made with apples and fresh juicy pears, has a crisp topping and baked to perfection.
And, here is The Best Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler from Deliciously Seasoned you’ll enjoy as well.
Homemade Strawberry Crisp
For The Strawberry Filling
- Preheat oven to 400° and lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish.
For The Strawberry Filling
- Remove hulls, rinse, and cut strawberries in half. Place in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg together.
- Pour sugar mixture over strawberries and stir until strawberries are coated well. Let sit for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Pour fruit mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish or a 3 quart baking dish.
- Add sliced butter (¼ cup) on top of the fruit mixture randomly.
For The Crisp Topping
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar and oats.
- Add 1 cup of butter and mix with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Add the flour mixture on top of the strawberries and spread evenly.
- Bake uncovered at 400° for 45-55 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.