This chicken stroganoff casserole is a creamy, hearty, and delicious comfort food recipe made with deliciously seasoned chicken breasts, onions, mushrooms, wide egg noodles all in a creamy sauce.
When you hear the word “stroganoff”, you probably think of beef stroganoff. While beef stroganoff is a delicious recipe that I love to make, I also love making a version that uses chicken. Chicken stroganoff has everything we love in classic, creamy beef stroganoff, but it has a twist of using tender, white meat chicken in place of the beef. It works super well, and it’s so delicious. But wait there’s more.
I love making chicken stroganoff. It’s a delicious casserole recipe that feeds a crowd, and it’s so easy. It’s one of my favorite casseroles to make, and I can’t wait to share it with all of you. It’s not a casserole that goes in the oven but we call it a casserole.
Chicken Stroganoff Casserole
This delicious casserole is loaded with chunks of tender, white meat chicken, onions, mushrooms, garlic, sour cream, and more. It’s a creamy, tangy chicken dish served with classic wide egg noodles to create a dish that always has everyone coming back for more. Every single bite is loaded with delicious ingredients, and because it’s easy to make, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Easy Chicken Stroganoff
Outside of how delicious this recipe is, the big selling point is how exceptionally easy it is to make. We all love delicious food, but if we can get it fast, that’s even better. Hey, just because I love to cook doesn’t mean I want to be in the kitchen for hours on end. With this recipe, you get a delicious dish in no time flat. Winner!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
- It’s so creamy and delicious. The combination of sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and all those other tasty ingredients make for an explosion of flavor in every bite.
- It’s so easy to make, and the leftovers are just as good as when you serve it fresh from the pan.
- It uses simple ingredients, most of which you probably have in your kitchen already!
Tips and Variations
This recipe might be easy, but even easy things have little secrets. I have some tips to help you make the best possible version of this dish that you can. I also have some fun variations, too!
- When cooking your pasta noodles, be sure you only cook them to al dente so they stand up to being stirred into the dish and the final heating of it.
- Never cut your chicken into chunks that are larger than one inch. You want them to be the bite size.
- Try adding parmesan cheese to this for a cheesy twist.
- Try adding other vegetables like chopped asparagus or bell peppers.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about this chicken stroganoff casserole, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
What can you use instead of sour cream in stroganoff?
Full-fat Greek yogurt is an excellent sour cream replacement. It tastes almost exactly the same!
What is chicken stroganoff?
Chicken stroganoff is a chicken recipe made with a creamy, sour cream-based sauce and served with noodles.
What is chicken stroganoff made of?
Chicken stroganoff uses tender, white meat chicken, mushrooms, onions, and a creamy sauce that’s then combined with wide egg noodles.
What to serve with chicken stroganoff?
This is a hearty dish, so you shouldn’t serve anything too heavy with it. In general, some great dishes to serve with chicken stroganoff casserole include:
- Light salad
- Crusty bread with a little butter
- A side of your favorite vegetables
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Stroganoff Casserole
You can store this dish in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can’t freeze this dish, as the sour cream won’t stand up to freezing and reheating.
To reheat this dish, place it in a pan and reheat on medium-low heat until heated through.
Chicken Stroganoff Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this dish. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch bite-size pieces
- Olive oil
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Onion, diced
- Baby bella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms
- Garlic, minced
- All purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- Sour cream
- Wide egg noodles
How to Make Chicken Stroganoff
Just like the ingredient list, making this dish is very easy. It only takes a few simple steps.
Step 1: Boil the Pasta
Cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente. Then, rinse and set it aside.
Step 2: Cook the Chicken
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then, add the chicken and sprinkle it with the seasonings. Cook the chicken until it’s no longer pink, then remove it from the pan and set it aside.
Step 3: Cook the Vegetables
Melt butter over medium heat in the same pan, and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook them until they’re tender. Then, add minced garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over all and cook for another 2 minutes.
Step 4: Simmer the Chicken and Vegetables
Pour chicken broth into the pan, stirring constantly, and then add the Worcestershire sauce and stir. Then, add the chicken back to the pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 5: Complete the Dish
Add the egg noodles and stir until heated through. Then, remove the dish from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Enjoy!
Try This Delicious Chicken Stroganoff Casserole Today
This tasty chicken stroganoff casserole is so good, so easy, and so hearty. It’s the perfect meal for the family for any occasion. With tons of great flavors and not a ton of work, it’s a dish that always satisfies with both flavor and ease. It doesn’t get much better than that. Give it a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni – A hearty and delicious comfort food recipe made with deliciously seasoned ground beef, elbow macaroni, shredded cheese in a creamy sauce.
One Pot Ham and Noodle Casserole – Made with leftover ham, egg noodles, peas, two types of cheese and sour cream. And, it’s seasoned perfectly and is a delicious comfort food recipe.
Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta – This pasta recipe is an inexpensive and easy dinner recipe to make. It’s loaded with Italian sausage and a sauce that is full of deep flavor and zippy spice, and the pasta shells that hold in all of the creamy sauce. So good!
And, here is an easy Easy One-Pot Goulash recipe from our other blog, Deliciously Seasoned, that you might enjoy as well.
Chicken Stroganoff Casserole
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless skinless, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 16 ounce baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 32 ounce chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 16 ounce package wide egg noodles
- In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse, set aside.
- Using a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with seasonings, stir.
- Cook chicken until no longer pink then remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in the same pan over medium heat then add onions and mushrooms. Cook until onions and mushrooms are tender.
- Add minced garlic to the onion mixture and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, stir and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into pan, stirring constantly, then add Worcestershire sauce. Stir.
- Add chicken back to the pan, stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add noodles, stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream, stir.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.