This easy and delicious butternut squash bread with brown sugar pecan topping is moist and flavorful, and the topping adds a sweet and crunchy texture that adds a nice contrast to the soft bread, and takes this quick bread recipe to another level. This quick bread recipe is perfect to serve for breakfast, dessert, or a midday snack.
I love making butternut squash bread. I’ve been making it for years, and my family and friends always love it. I actually started making it by simply getting creative. I had a quick bread recipe that called for pumpkin, so I roasted a butternut squash and used the butternut squash puree in place of the pumpkin puree. It was absolutely delicious, and then topped it with my favorite brown sugar pecan topping which made it that much more amazing.
Butternut Squash Bread
This delicious quick bread starts with a basic batter to which I add butternut squash puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice for that classic fall flavor. Then, I pour it into 2 prepared loaf pans, top it with a sweet and crunchy brown sugar pecan topping, and bake until golden brown. That’s it! When it’s done, I have 2 moist, tender butternut squash bread loaves that are perfect for a sweet breakfast, addition to brunch, or an afternoon snack!
Why You’ll Love This Butternut Squash Bread Recipe
- It’s moist and delicious, and the butternut squash puree adds a natural sweetness to the bread, along with the sweet and crunchy brown sugar pecan topping that takes this quick bread recipe over the top.
- It’s warm and inviting with a warm blend of spices, such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves, which creates a warm and inviting aroma and is the perfect fall treat.
- This butternut quick bread is easy to make with straightforward directions, and simple ingredients, even for novice bakers.
Butternut Squash Bread Ingredients
You’ll only need a few basic baking ingredients to make this recipe. Chances are you have most of them in your kitchen right now, and anything else can be found in one quick trip to the grocery store!
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Ground ginger
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Large eggs
- Butternut squash puree
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Chopped pecans
- Melted butter
(Actual measurements are in the recipe card below)
How to Make Butternut Squash Bread
Making this bread is a snap. It’s simply a quick bread with an extra topping, so you’ll have no issues with it whatsoever.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray two 8×4 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Bread Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and pumpkin spice in a medium bowl.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Bread Ingredients
Beat the eggs, butternut squash puree, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
Step 4: Make the Batter
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until well combined. Pour the mixture evenly into both loaf pans.
Step 5: Make the Topping
Combine the brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans, and melted butter in a small bowl.
Step 6: Top and Bake
Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter in both pans, then bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
How to Roast Butternut Squash
Roasting butternut squash is incredibly easy. It only takes a few minutes of prep and less than an hour in the oven!
- Cut the top and bottom off of the squash.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and strings.
- Spray all sides of the squash and a foil-lined baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roast for 50 minutes at 400 degrees.
Recipe Tips for Butternut Squash Bread
- Be sure to thoroughly combine your dry ingredients before adding them to the wet for even distribution.
- Spray the interior of your loaf pans with a nice, even coat of nonstick spray.
- Keep an eye on your bread in the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking, as ovens may vary.
- You can make this with sweet potato or pumpkin puree.
- Try adding chocolate chips to the bread.
- Mix chopped pecans into the batter for extra flavor and crunch.
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Bread
This bread is delicious when served warm and topped with a healthy layer of butter. A nice glass of milk or cup of coffee or tea is also a great pairing. For even more flavor, try serving it alongside some fresh fruit or candied nuts, as well.
Sweet potato or pumpkin puree both work well in place of butternut squash in most recipes.
Absolutely! They have similar flavors that, while not identical, do tend to work well in place of one another.
If you’re roasting your squash in halves, there’s no need to peel it. However, if you’re cubing it before roasting, it’s best to peel it first.
You can use gluten-free flour to make a gluten-free version of this recipe.
In most cases, you can use canned squash in place of roasted squash and get very similar results.
How to Store Leftover Butternut Squash Bread
Store this bread in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature. You can store it for up to a week in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil.
Try This Easy Butternut Squash Bread Recipe
This butternut squash bread recipe is moist, tender, sweet, and loaded with the flavors of fall and winter. It’s also incredibly easy to make! It’s a basic quick bread infused with rich, butternut squash flavor and topped with a sweet and crunchy brown sugar pecan topping that everyone will love. With such a great combination, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. It’s so good, I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Delicious Quick Bread Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Cranberry Orange Pecan Loaf is packed with fresh, coarsely chopped cranberries, chopped pecans, and orange zest, and more, and is a festive
Butternut Squash Bread with Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
Butternut Squash Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 15 ounce butternut squash puree
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray two 8×4 loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
Butternut Squash Bread
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and pumpkin spice.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, butternut squash puree, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil together until combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and beat until well combined.
- Evenly pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour chopped pecans, and melted butter. Stir well.
- Top each loaf with the brown sugar pecan topping.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.