Pumpkin bread is a classic quick bread recipe perfect for fall. It is made with simple ingredients, such as pumpkin puree, spices, flour, sugar, and eggs, The addition of the brown sugar pecan topping gives the pumpkin bread a crunchy and nutty sweetness that perfectly complements the pumpkin flavor.
As crazy as it sounds, fall is almost here, and that means ALL the pumpkin and apple recipes will soon be arriving. As I’ve never been accused of being unprepared for the season, I’m sharing my pumpkin bread recipe with all of you today. It uses a classic quick bread recipe loaded with all the flavors of fall, and it has a wonderful extra punch of sweet taste with a brown sugar pecan topping that I know you’ll love. Whenever I make this recipe for a sweet breakfast, afternoon snacking, or potluck recipe, one thing is always the same – it goes super fast!
Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
This recipe starts with a classic pumpkin sweet bread dough that’s full of classic fall flavors like nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. I make the dough and then I top it with a sweet and crunchy brown sugar pecan topping. Then, the whole thing gets backed until the top is golden, and the bread itself is rich, moist, and perfect. It’s the best pumpkin bread you’ll ever make.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- The autumnal flavor of the pumpkin bread tastes amazing with the pumpkin puree and spices, which is both sweet and savory, and the brown sugar pecan topping adds a crunchy and nutty sweetness that is simply irresistible.
- It’s easy to make and uses simple ingredients that are easily found at the local grocery.
- It is versatile and can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, an afternoon snack, or after-dinner dessert. It’s great to make for holiday parties and potlucks and makes a great Thanksgiving dessert everyone will enjoy.
Pumpkin Bread Ingredients
This recipe only uses a few basic baking ingredients, and you almost certainly have almost all of them in your kitchen right now. Anything you don’t have is one quick trip down the baking aisle away!
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cloves
- Ground ginger
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Large eggs
- Pumpkin puree
- Vegetable oil
- Brown sugar
- Chopped pecans
- Melted butter
How to Make Pumpkin Bread
This dessert bread recipe is as simple as the ingredient list. It’s a basic quick bread, so it’s, well, quick. The topping is also a snap to make, so you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time. The longest part of the recipe is simply waiting for it to bake!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray two 8×4 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredient
Beat the eggs, pumpkin puree, sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
Step 4: Make the Batter
Gradually add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and beat until well combined.
Step 5: Make the Topping
Combine the brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans, and melted butter in a small bowl.
Step 6: Bake
Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans. Then, top them with the brown sugar pecan topping. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool. Slice and enjoy.
- Mix your batter until combined, but don’t mix too much. Overmixing makes tough bread.
- Spoon your flour lightly into the measuring cup and level with the back of a knife. Scooping directly into the flour packs it and adds too much.
- Remove your bread when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Don’t overbake it!
- Use sweet potato puree to make sweet potato bread.
- Walnuts are excellent in place of pecans for the topping.
- Chocolate chips make a sweet addition to your quick bread.
What to Serve with Pumpkin Bread
Serve this bread with milk, coffee, or tea. It’s great with butter, honey butter, or cream cheese, as well. Make it a snack on its own or add it to your favorite savory breakfast options for a sweet addition to a larger breakfast.
Pumpkin bread is a type of moist quick bread that uses pumpkin puree.
You can use pumpkin pie spice on its own or a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg or mace.
No, it doesn’t have to be refrigerated. In fact, it’s better when it isn’t! The refrigerator saps the moisture and makes the bread dry.
Follow the recipe, let the bread cool completely, and then wrap it tightly in a layer of plastic wrap. Store it at room temperature for a maximum of tow days before serving for optimal freshness.
Yes, this freezes very well and will last for up to 3 months when stored properly.
How to Store Pumpkin Bread
Store this bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. For longer storage, wrap the bread in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Try This Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe Today
Although pumpkin bread is a classic fall treat, this recipe is so good, you will absolutely NEVER wait for fall to make it. With tons of pumpkin puree for a tender, moist texture, classic fall spices, and a sweet and crunchy brown sugar pecan topping, this is the best quick bread you’ll make. Try it just once, and you’ll be making it again and again!
More Delicious Fall Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Pumpkin Pecan Bread Pudding is an easy bread pudding recipe with a delicious cinnamon vanilla glaze. A perfect fall dessert recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs
- 15 ounce pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray (2) 8×4 loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, pumpkin puree, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil, together until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture into pumpkin mixture and beat until well combined.
- Evenly pour batter into the two prepared loaf pans.
Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans, and melted butter. Mix well.
- Top the two loafs with the pecan topping and place in the oven.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.