This brisket quesadilla recipe is absolutely savory and delicious. Using leftover beef brisket, these quesadillas are super easy to make, topped with tender brisket, shredded cheese, barbecue sauce, and crispy fried onions strings all stuffed between flour tortillas.
Brisket is a classic barbecue favorite here in Texas, where we love our barbecue as much as we love our Mexican and Tex-Mex food. I’ve been making brisket for years, and while most of it gets eaten, I do still have a bit of leftovers. That’s why I started trying to come up with creative ways to reuse my day-old brisket, and I must say, I’ve come up with some great recipes.
Over the past several weeks, I’ve been sharing delicious ways to use leftover brisket, and today I have another delicious recipe for you. These quesadillas have become a family favorite sense I first started making them to use up our leftover brisket, and I think your family will love them, too.
Brisket quesadillas are a fantastic way to use up your leftover brisket. Tender, pulled barbecue brisket is combined with cheese and crispy onion strings to create a loaded quesadilla that is absolutely overflowing with flavor. Every bite brings the flavor of the classic barbecue beef we all love, melty cheese, and the sweetness and crunch of the crispy onion strings. You’ve never had quesadillas like these!
Why You’ll Love This Brisket Quesadilla Recipe
- It’s so versatile and is perfect for a delicious lunch, dinner, appetizer, or simply an afternoon or after-school snack.
- It’s a simple recipe that uses your leftover brisket, almost all of the cooking has already been done.
- These quesadillas are so hearty and delicious. You’ll know you had something substantial after eating one of these bad boys.
Tips and Variations
This recipe is very easy, but I have a couple of tips to make it the best it can possibly be. I also have some great options for changing things up if you’d like.
- Only heat the leftover brisket until it’s just heated through. It’s already wonderfully tender. You don’t want to cook it more.
- Heat the brisket over medium heat. Don’t try to rush it by using higher heat. You could burn the beef.
- You can cook the quesadillas by filling half of a tortilla and folding it over or topping an entire tortilla with ingredients and then top with a second tortilla.
- Try using any of your favorite cheeses for this recipe. Pepper jack cheese will add a bit of heat, colby jack and Monterey jack cheese are a great choice. They’re all delicious.
- For a spicy variation, add diced jalapenos to the brisket before heating it up.
- For even more flavor, add a thin layer of refried beans to the quesadillas.
Storing and Reheating Brisket Quesadillas
Never store quesadillas after they’ve been made. The moisture from the barbecue brisket will make the tortillas soggy. Instead, store your brisket in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and all other ingredients separately. Then, when you’re ready to serve them, make more quesadillas.
Brisket Quesadilla Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe.
- Leftover beef brisket
- Barbecue sauce
- Beef broth
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, add more if desired
- Flour tortillas
- Crispy onion strings, if desired
- Additional BBQ sauce, for drizzle
Brisket Quesadilla Instructions
Making these quesadillas is as easy as the ingredient list. In just a handful of steps, you’ll be enjoying delicious quesadillas!
Step 1: Heat the Brisket
Heat leftover brisket, barbecue sauce, and beef broth over medium-high heat in a small saucepan until heated through. Stir frequently.
Step 2: Make the Quesadillas
Place a flour tortilla in a frying pan, or skillet, on medium heat. Spread shredded brisket on one half of the tortilla, sprinkle shredded cheese and crispy onion string on top of the brisket. Then, fold the tortilla in half and cook until it begins to brown. Flip and cook the other side in the same manner until the outside is toasted and the cheese is melted. Serve with an extra side of barbecue sauce for dipping, or sour cream if desired.
If serving as an appetizer, place finished quesadilla on a large cutting board and cut into three equal pieces.
Try This Delicious Brisket Quesadilla Recipe Today
Whether you make it for lunch, dinner, or as an appetizer, these tasty quesadillas are always a huge hit with everyone. Tender, barbecued brisket, cheese, and onion strings come together to create a beefy, cheesy quesadilla that will have everyone coming back for more. Give it a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Brisket Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Beef Brisket – A super easy oven baked brisket recipe that makes amazing leftovers!
Brisket Mac and Cheese – A homemade, creamy, and delicious mac and cheese recipe that is topped with tender brisket, crispy onion strings, and barbecue sauce.
Brisket Tacos – An amazing brisket taco recipe that is loaded with brisket, onion strings, barbecue sauce, and soft flour tortillas.
And, Brisket Grilled Cheese – Crispy and toasty bread filled with brisket, BBQ sauce, lots of cheese, and topped with onion strings.
Here is a delicious BBQ Brisket Breakfast Tacos Recipe from Traeger that you might enjoy as well.
- In a small saucepan, add shredded brisket, barbecue sauce and beef broth. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring frequently.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, place a flour tortilla into the pan.
- Spread brisket on one half of the tortilla followed by shredded cheese and top with crispy onion strings, if desired. Fold tortilla in half and cook until tortilla starts to brown then flip over and continue cooking until the cheese is melted.
- *Or spread brisket over the entire surface of the tortilla, top with cheese, onion strings and the top tortilla. Cook and then cut into desired size.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to pin to your favorite Pinterest boards.