This blueberry pastry recipe is super easy to make and only takes three ingredients. Pie dough, blueberry pie filling, and coarse sugar. That’s it! A little bit of time and these delicious, golden, blueberry pastries can be enjoyed as an afternoon snack, dessert, or late-night treat.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a big fan of delicious desserts that don’t take a ton of time to make. I’ve made all kinds of desserts over the years from fancy layered cakes to simple treats and everything in between. It’s a ton of fun to mix things up with all manner of desserts, and even getting super intricate is a blast from time to time, however, sometimes, I just like things to be easy. That’s especially true on a weekday, when I need a quick dessert for parties, or just because I may not be feeling particularly in the mood for cooking on a given day. That’s where sweet dessert recipes like this Blueberry pastry come in. It’s super simple, super-fast, and super delicious. You can’t beat that!
This blueberry pastry dessert is simple and so easy. It’s a semi-homemade treat that I love to make when I need something fast and tasty. Canned blueberry pie filling is cradled in a little pocket of pre-packaged pie crust with a lattice top and then baked up to golden brown perfection. I love that I can make a batch of these in about half to three-quarters of the time it takes to bake on traditional pie, and I really love how fast it all comes together.
Why You’ll Love This Blueberry Pastry Recipe
- It’s a super easy recipe to make and to eat – it’s hand-held!
- It only uses three simple, affordable ingredients.
- The flaky crust and pie filling make a perfect combination.
Blueberry Pastry Tips and Variations
This is one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make, but I have a couple of tips to make it the best it can be and some variations that I think you’ll love.
- The egg wash is great for both making the crust golden brown and sealing the pastry.
- Sealing the pie with fork tines is superior to pinching the edges with your fingers.
- Use any of your favorite pie fillings for this recipe.
- Use your favorite store bought pie crust. Any will work.
- Top your blueberry pastry dessert with whipped cream or place a bowl of whipped cream on the table for dipping the pastries into.
- You can make your own blueberry pie filling if you like.
- You can also make this pastry with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries, or any other berries you enjoy.
- Top with powdered sugar.
Blueberry Pastry FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this blueberry pastry recipe.
What are hand pies?
Hand pies are basically hand-held pies. They’re made in the same way as a regular pie but on a much smaller scale.
Can you freeze blueberry pie?
Yes, you can! I call these blueberry pastries, but they’re essentially latticed blueberry hand pies that freeze very well.
Can you freeze hand pies?
Yes, you can. They’re just small pies, and are just as able to be frozen as regular pies.
How do you freeze these blueberry pastries?
Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and open-air freeze them. Then, place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
Are blueberry pastries better warm or cold?
They’re delicious served warm, at room temperature, or cold.
When is blueberry season?
Blueberries are in season in North America from April to late September. If you plan to make a recipe using fresh blueberries, this is the best timeframe.
How to Make Homemade Blueberry Filling
You can make homemade blueberry pie filling by combining fresh blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and a bit of water in a medium saucepan, then heating it over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the blueberries start to burst. At that point, mix a slurry of cornstarch and water into the blueberry mixture and continue to cook until thickened.
How to Store Blueberry Pastries
You can store these for about 2 days at room temperature in an airtight container or up to 5 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months using the method referenced in the FAQ above.
Blueberry Pastry Ingredients
You’ll only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (1 ½ boxes)
- Blueberry pie filling
- Large eggs
- Coarse sugar
How to Make This Blueberry Pastry Recipe
This is an extremely easy recipe to make. There are a few steps, and the majority of them are simply cutting the dough to shape.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Cut the Bottoms for the Pastries
Roll out the pie dough onto a clean, floured surface. Then, using a knife, trim the edges to create a square and cut the dough in half. Next, cut each half into 3 equal pieces. Repeat the process with another pie crust. You should have 12 pastries.
Step 3: Egg Wash the Edges
Mix the eggs and water together in a small bowl. Then, brush the mixture around each pastry.
Step 4: Fill the Pie
Place pie filing into the center of each pastry.
Step 5: Make the Lattice Top
Roll out the last pie dough and cut it into ½-inch strips. Then, place the dough strips over the pie filling and press the edges down with the tines of a fork to secure them. Trim off any excess dough.
Step 6: Bake
Brush the tops of the pastries with the remaining egg wash. Sprinkle the tops of the pastries with sugar and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly. Let the pastries cool and then serve.
Try This Easy Blueberry Pastry Recipe Today
This blueberry pastry is essentially a latticed hand pie, and it’s so delicious. It’s also so easy to make! With that combination of sweet, delicious flavor and ease of making it, there’s no reason you can’t have this in your life whenever you like. Serve it as a dessert, an afternoon snack, or bring it to potlucks. There’s never a wrong time for these, and once you make them, I know you’ll agree.
More Delicious Blueberry Recipes
Blueberry Lemon Pudding Cake – A delicious cake that is topped with a blueberry filling with a hint of zesty lemon. It’s a refreshing dessert that is great for all occasions.
Blueberry Cinnamon Roll Casserole – A sweet cinnamon roll casserole that is loaded with fresh blueberries and topped with delicious icing.
Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake – A refreshing lemon cake that is filled with a fresh blueberry filling, then topped with a lemon frosting. It’s the perfect dessert to make for summertime.
Also, try this Frozen Blueberry Dessert from Deliciously Seasoned. The perfect recipe for summer. This dessert is made with fresh blueberries, homemade whipped cream, and a cream cheese blueberry filling.
- 3 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (1 ½ boxes)
- 21 ounce can blueberry pie filling
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ⅛ cup water
- ¼ cup Coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough on a clean, lightly floured, surface.
- Trim edges to create a square and then cut the dough in half.
- Cut each half into 3 equal pieces (ending with 6 pieces per pie crust) and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with another pie dough (will end up with 12 pastries).
- Mix eggs and water together.
- Brush egg wash around each pastry.
- Place pie filling into the center of pie dough.
- Roll out the 3rd dough and cut into ½ inch strips.
- Place thin strips of dough over pie filling and press edges down, using the tines of a fork, to secure. Trim off excess dough.
- Brush all pastries with the remaining egg wash.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite dessert board on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.