Blueberry Lemon Scones are loaded with fresh blueberries and lemon and baked to perfection, then drizzled with lemon glaze. A delicious breakfast or brunch treat everyone will enjoy.
If you love scones, I have a recipe that’s really going to make you happy. If you’ve never had scones, then I have a recipe that’s really going to make you happy. I hope you can see where I’m going with this. I’m from the Southwest, so it might come as a surprise to you to know that I’ve been a fan of scones since I was a little girl. Growing up, scones weren’t exactly a common thing where I lived, but I had a neighbor who loved to cook and who had traveled extensively. She loved scones, and she made them frequently. She shared some with us when we were visiting one day, and I never looked back.
When I got older, I began making scones for myself, and over the years I’ve made tons of them, from super simple to fun altered recipes with glazes. My favorite scone recipe, though, is this simple one that’s packed with blueberries and lemon and topped with a delicious lemon drizzle. The sweet, zing flavor combination is a classic one, and it works so well with the scone dough.
Blueberry Lemon Scones
These delicious scones start with a basic scone recipe that gives that classic, slightly soft and crumbly texture that all good scones have. Then, I add chopped blueberries and lemon juice for a blast of fresh, blueberry and lemon flavor in every bite. I bake it to golden brown perfection and top it with a sweet and tangy lemon drizzle that pairs perfectly with the texture and flavor of the blueberry scone base. It’s a sweet, simple recipe that makes a delicious start to the day, especially when served with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee.
Why You’ll Love These Blueberry Lemon Scones
- They’re easy to make and are always a welcome treat for breakfast and brunch.
- The fresh blueberries and lemon in the scones combined with the lemon glaze makes them even more delicious.
- They’re soft and crumbly on the inside.
- Keep your cut-up butter in the fridge until you’re ready to cut it into the scone dough. Cold butter is the secret to the perfect scone texture.
- Don’t overwork your dough. You want to develop a little gluten, but you don’t want to knead so much that the scones become tough.
- Add the lemon glaze while the scones are just a bit warm. This allows the glaze to stick but still flow a little for that drizzled look.
- Use any of your favorite berries for this recipe. They all work with the lemon flavors in the scones.
- Omit any other fruit for a zesty lemon scone recipe.
- Top your scones with chopped walnuts or pecans before baking.
What to Serve with Blueberry Lemon Scones
You can pair these delicious scones with a variety of tasty options. You can go the full sweet route, or you can pair them with your favorite savory breakfast items. Some great ideas include:
- Fresh fruit
- Whipped cream
What is a scone?
A scone is a baked good similar to a biscuit that’s usually slightly sweet and often glazed with some sort of simple, sweetened drizzle.
What’s the difference between a biscuit and a scone?
They’re both very similar. The major difference is that scones are made with eggs and biscuits aren’t.
Is it better to use frozen or fresh fruit in scones?
Both work very well. Surprisingly, some people prefer using frozen fruit because it helps keep the butter in the scones cold longer. This longer melting time creates extra steam pockets while the scones baked, improving their texture.
Can you freeze blueberry scones?
Yes. Scones freeze very well and will last for up to 5 weeks in the freezer.
How to Store Blueberry Lemon Scones
Store scones in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 days. You can store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze them for up to 5 weeks wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and stored in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Blueberry Lemon Scones Ingredients
Both the scones and the lemon drizzle only take a few simple ingredients to make. You’ll probably have most of them in your kitchen already. The ones you don’t have are all readily available at your local grocery store. The actual measurements are in the recipe card below.
For the Scones
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Fresh blueberries
- Whole Milk
- Fresh lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
For the Lemon Drizzle
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh lemon juice
How to Make Blueberry Lemon Scones
Making these scones is a very simple affair. They’re almost like making biscuits, so there’s really nothing to it.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Then, cut the cold butter cubes into the mixture until crumbly.
Step 3: Add the Wet Ingredients
Add the chopped blueberries, lemon juice, and lemon zest and stir. Then, add the milk and stir until combined.
Step 4: Knead
Place the dough on a floured surface and knead about 8 times.
Step 5: Bake
form the dough into a rectangle, then cut it into 8 diagonal pieces. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 21 to 23 minutes until browned.
Step 6: Top with Lemon Glaze
Combine the lemon juice, milk, and powdered sugar to make the glaze. Then, drizzle it over the warm scones.
Try This Delicious Blueberry Lemon Scone Recipe Today
These blueberry lemon scones combine the sweetness of blueberries with the bright, zingy flavor of lemon to create scones that are absolutely bursting with flavor. The big bonus is that they’re so easy to make! You can whip up a batch of these for breakfast, brunch, or even an afternoon snack. No matter when you decide to make them, one thing’s for sure: you’re going to fall in love with them.
More Delicious Blueberry Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake – This delicious lemon cake has a fresh blueberries filling and topped with a lemon cream cheese frosting. So good!
Blueberry Cream Cheese Bites – These bite-size treats are full of a sweet cream cheese mixture and a fresh blueberry filling, baked and then dusted with powdered sugar.
Blueberry Coffee Cake – A quick and easy blueberry dessert recipe that uses basic pantry ingredients and blueberry pie filling.
And, here is a Frozen Blueberry Dessert from Deliciously Seasoned that you are going to enjoy as well.
Blueberry Lemon Scones
For The Blueberry Scones
- Preheat oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
For The Blueberry Scones
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt together.
- Add cold butter into flour mixture and using a pastry blender or a fork, mix until crumbly.
- Add chopped blueberries, lemon juice and lemon zest, stir.
- Pour in milk and stir until incorporated.
- Remove from bowl and place on a flour covered surface and knead about 8 times.
- Form a rectangle then cut into 8 diagonal pieces. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Pop in the oven and bake for about 21-23 minutes or until browned.
For The Topping
- Mix lemon juice and milk into powdered sugar to make a glaze, then drizzle over each scone. Enjoy!
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.