This blueberry coffee cake is easy to make and uses basic pantry ingredients plus blueberry pie filling for a quick and easy blueberry dessert recipe.
If you love coffee cake and blueberry pie, then I have a fantastic dessert for you. This delicious blueberry coffee cake is the perfect mashup of two of our favorite sweet treats. It’s an easy, delicious treat that really hits the spot and ticks all the boxes. I love to serve this for dessert when my kids come over for weekend dinner. I also love bringing it to summer BBQs, potlucks, and even holiday gatherings. There’s never a wrong time to make this dessert because it’s such a great combination of classic flavors. In fact, it’s so classic and filled with nostalgic goodness that everyone always gets excited when they see me set it out. I can’t think of a time when I’ve had anything to bring home other than an empty baking dish! That’s how delicious it is.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
This delicious dessert combines a coffee cake base with blueberry pie filling to fantastic effect. A simple, homemade coffee cake batter is combined with blueberry pie filling and a crumble mixture to create a dessert that’s filled with the perfect combination of coffee cake and blueberry flavor in every single bite. It’s the ultimate dessert if you ask me – AND if you ask anyone who’s ever eaten it. Outside of how delicious this recipe is, the best part of this recipe is how easy it is to make! It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious dish, and it comes together in a snap.
Why You’ll Love This Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- It only takes a few simple ingredients that are pantry staples in most kitchens.
- It’s a quick and easy dessert recipe combining coffee cake and blueberry pie flavors.
- It’s a great potluck cake recipe that everyone will enjoy.
- Be sure your butter is fully softened for the best incorporation and texture.
- Keep your butter as cold as possible before cutting it into the crumble ingredients to achieve the best crumbly texture.
- ONLY mix your batter ingredients until just combined to achieve the best coffee cake texture possible.
- Use any of your favorite fruit pie fillings to create a new dessert every time.
- Try adding chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds for an extra crunch.
- Can use frozen blueberries or a fresh blueberry filling, if desired.
What to Serve with Blueberry Coffee Cake
You can serve this delicious coffee cake recipe as an easy dessert, afternoon snack, or addition to any potluck. Because it’s so versatile, it pairs well with almost anything. Some of my favorite pairings include:
- Dessert after beef, pork, or chicken dinner
- Alongside other desserts at potlucks
What is coffee cake?
Coffee cake is a sweet cake usually eaten with coffee or tea. It’s unfrosted and typically has a streusel or crumble topping.
Can fresh blueberries be used in place of pie filling?
Yes. You can make your own fresh blueberry pie filling if you’re feeling fancy. It’s delicious!
How do you keep blueberries from sinking in a cake?
Coat the blueberries in flour. The flour causes the blueberries to get caught in the batter rather than sinking to the bottom.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You can. It’s just as delicious at room temperature as it is warm.
Can you freeze leftover blueberry coffee cake?
Absolutely. Wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap, then place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to Store Blueberry Coffee Cake
You can store this cake in a covered container at room temperature for a couple of days. Place it in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container. For longer storage, wrap it in plastic wrap, place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container, and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious coffee cake. You can find them all easily at your local grocery store, although most of them will be in your kitchen already.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Blueberry pie filling
How to Make Blueberry Coffee Cake
It’s just as simple to make this recipe as it is to gather up the ingredients for it. It’s so easy even beginners can make it.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Cake Batter
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Then, add the butter, milk, egg, and vanilla and mix until just combined.
Step 3: Make the Crumble
Using a pastry cutter or a fork, combine the flour, sugar, and butter in a small bowl until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Step 4: Layer the Cake
Add the cake batter to the prepared baking dish and spread it into an even layer. Then, add half the crumble mixture and top it with blueberry pie filling. Top with the remaining crumb mixture.
Step 5: Bake
Bake for 1 hour or until the top is light brown. Remove from the oven, let cool, cut into squares, and enjoy!
Try This Delicious, Easy Blueberry Coffee Cake Today
This blueberry coffee cake is so easy and delicious, there’s no reason not to give it a try. With the combination of coffee cake and blueberry pie flavors, this sweet treat is the perfect mashup of two classic desserts all rolled up into one amazing sweet everyone will love! It’s the perfect addition to your holiday table, a potluck, or just as a weeknight dessert. Give this a whirl, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Delicious Blueberry Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Blueberry Cream Cheese Bites – A delicious blueberry dessert recipe made with a sweet cream cheese filling and a fresh blueberry filling.
Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake – This lemon poke cake recipe is super lemony with a homemade blueberry filling and topped with a lemon cream cheese frosting.
Blueberry Cobbler – This cobbler recipe is a family favorite made with fresh blueberries, a delicious cobble topping and baked to perfection. Delicious!
And, here is a Blueberry Frozen Dessert from Deliciously Seasoned that tastes amazing.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
For the Coffee Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
For the Coffee Cake
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add butter, milk, egg and vanilla extract and mix just until combined.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
For the Crumb Topping and Filling
- In a small bowl, using a pastry cutter or a fork, combine flour, sugar and butter together until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of the mixture over the batter.
- Spread blueberry pie filling over the crumbs and then add the remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is light brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.