These beefy torpedoes sandwich recipe has been a family favorite forever. When I was a young wife, a friend had given me this recipe. I have altered it with additional spices to enhance the flavor and decided to share it on the blog.
Loaded with ground beef, cheese, olives and seasonings, these beefy torpedoes will soon become a favorite at your house too!
This is an easy combination of ingredients which makes a great tasting meal. Just fry up some ground beef, onions, garlic, seasonings, salt and pepper, then drain the grease. Return to pan and add tomato sauce, black olives, and cheese. Stir to mix really well and then spoon into rolls. Cover with top piece of bread, wrap in foil and bake until heated thoroughly.
I didn’t have any french rolls when I made these beefy torpedoes this time and ended up using a large loaf of french bread. Making these with individual french rolls are best giving them the “torpedoes” name. Make sure to get the rolls that are not pre-sliced. That way you can just slice the top off, remove the inner bread and fill with meat mixture. The pre-sliced bread doesn’t work well for this recipe.
The meat mixture inside each roll, and the juice that has soaked into the bread, makes for one great tasting sub, and then with a crunchy outside, oh man, super delish!
Try these beefy torpedoes today
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 4.25 oz cans chopped black olives
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 8-12 french rolls uncut rolls
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large frying pan, add ground beef, chopped onions, garlic, seasonings, salt and pepper until meat is cooked thoroughly. Drain grease and put back in pan.
- Add tomato sauce, olives and cheese. Stir until combined.
- Cut the tops off of the rolls and remove the bread inside.
- Spoon meat mixture into each roll, put the top of the bread back on the roll and wrap each roll in foil.
- Bake until heated thoroughly, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, unwrap and enjoy!
Here are a couple pictures that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.