This BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad is a delicious southern style salad recipe that is loaded with amazing flavor and is a perfect side dish. Your taste buds will be in heaven with this flavorful salad and will be requested time and time again.
Living in Texas, my recipe rotation tends to be equal parts Mexican, Tex-Mex, and southern food. I share a lot of the former, but today, I wanted to give all of you a taste – literally, I hope – of one of my favorite southern sides. Of course, as a cook, I can never leave well enough alone, so my version of this broccoli salad is kicked up with some other great flavors that I think you’ll love. I’ve been making this salad for a long, long time. It’s a fantastic side any time of year, but I usually find myself making it during the warmer months because it pairs so perfectly with all my favorite recipes. This is the perfect, easy dish for family meals, potlucks, and parties!
BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad
This delicious side starts with fresh broccoli. Then, it’s mixed with crispy, crumbled bacon, onions, carrots, avocado, tomatoes, and cheese. Finally, I add mayo and BBQ sauce for a zesty, creamy sauce. It all comes together to create a delicious side that’s loaded with a variety of flavors and textures. It’s a simple dish with complex flavors that pairs perfectly with almost any meal.
Why You’ll Love This BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad
- It’s the best broccoli salad recipe you’ll ever make.
- It’s super flavorful and full of delicious favorites.
- It is a great side dish for backyard barbecues, family gatherings, and potlucks or a side for beef, chicken, pork, or fish.
- It’s easy to make and the family will love it.
- This recipe only uses the florets of the broccoli. Cut up the stems and freeze them so you can use them in other recipes.
- Let your bacon thoroughly drain on paper towels so you don’t have a greasy salad.
- Chill this salad overnight for the best flavor and texture.
- Wait until you’re ready to mix the broccoli salad ingredients before cutting up the avocado. This prevents it from turning brown.
- You can use your favorite cheese in this recipe so long as it has a strong enough flavor to cut through the dressing.
- Yellow, white, and sweet onions work well in this recipe.
- Try adding diced ham in place of bacon for a different flavor.
What to Serve with BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad
This recipe is so delicious, and it’s so versatile. You can pair it with just about any of your favorite dishes. Try it with:
- BBQ beef, chicken, or pork
- Roasted chicken
- Beef and pork roast
- Broil fish
- Fried fish
- Burgers and dogs
- Your favorite backyard bash dishes
Can you make broccoli salad ahead of time?
You sure can! In fact, it’s best when chilled overnight, so feel free to make it the night before.
Will avocado turn brown in salad?
Not usually. If the avocado is thoroughly coated in the dressing, it will block the air which is what makes it brown.
How long does broccoli salad last?
It will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze broccoli salad?
No. Mayonnaise-based sauces and recipes break when they defrost, leading to a watery, gross texture.
How to Store BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad
Store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious salad. You probably have most of them in your kitchen right now, and the ones you don’t are all easily found at your local grocery store.
For the Sauce
- Barbecue sauce
For the Salad
- Fresh broccoli florets, cut up small
- Bacon, crispy, crumbled, and divided
- Red onions, diced small
- Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Carrots, grated
- Avocado, diced
- Grape tomatoes, chopped
How to Make BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad
Making this salad is as easy as gathering up the ingredients. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps. That’s it!
Step 1: Make the Sauce
Combine the BBQ sauce and mayo. Then, cover it with plastic wrap and chill it while you make the salad.
Step 2: Make the Bacon
Cook the bacon until crispy in a large frying pan. Remove the bacon and place it on a plate lined with paper towels. Then, crumble 5 pieces for mixing into the salad, reserving 2 to 3 pieces to crumble and top the salad.
Step 3: Cut the Broccoli
Cut the heavy stems from the broccoli and cut the florets into bite-size pieces. Add them to a large bowl.
Step 4: Make the Salad
Add the remaining salad ingredients and dressing to the bowl, then mix to coat. Chill, salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Try This Delicious BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad Today
This easy BBQ bacon broccoli avocado salad is absolutely delicious and so incredibly easy. It’s the perfect dish for any occasion. From sides for a weeknight dinner to serving up a big bowl at your next backyard barbecue or potluck, you can’t go wrong with this recipe. Give it a try, and I know you’ll be looking for reasons to make this creamy, crispy, zesty side dish.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Chicken Curry Pasta Salad – This delicious chicken salad is so flavorful and absolutely delicious. The crunchiness of the lettuce and cucumbers, water chestnuts and pea pods, mixed with the flavor of the creamy curry sauce makes this salad irresistible and will fast become a favorite.
Macaroni Salad – This delicious macaroni salad is a family favorite and the array of flavors from the red onions, mixed with the black olives and dill relish, makes this one of the best side dishes.
Red Potato Salad – This potato salad recipe is loaded with soft, creamy, red-skinned potatoes cut into small bite-size pieces with dill pickles, hard-boiled eggs, and red onions all mixed together for a delicious classic potato salad recipe the whole family will enjoy.
And, here is a Creamy Chicken Salad from Deliciously Seasoned that you will enjoy as well.
BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the barbecue sauce and mayonnaise together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill while frying the bacon and preparing the salad.
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crispy. Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Crumble 5 pieces, which will go into the salad keeping 2-3 pieces to be crumbled and sprinkled on top before serving.
- Remove heavy stems from broccoli and cut just the florets so they are small (bite size), add to large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients then pour dressing into mixing bowl and toss to coat.
- Chill and serve.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.