This grilled chicken salad is a delicious salad with grilled chicken. Tender and juicy grilled chicken, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, Texas toast croutons, and ranch dressing are what make up this delicious salad recipe. Easy, hearty, and the perfect summer salad recipe.
Salads are such a great dish to make any time of year. I especially love making them during the summer months. When the weather outside is hot and oppressive, a nice salad with crisp veggies and a drizzle of salad dressing is just the thing to make your tastebuds happy and fuel you up without weighing you down. Really, though a salad is a great option any time of year. It’s healthy and delicious, making it the perfect combo for anyone. A lean protein combined with crisp lettuce and garden veggies really hits the spot, and it’s a great way to get some veggies into your diet.
Grilled Chicken Salad
This salad is a huge winner if you ask me. It’s one that I love to make for a light lunch or dinner, and it always hits the spot. I combine Romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and croutons with marinated grilled chicken breast, and then I top it with ranch dressing. Of course, you can use the dressing of your choice. When you combine all of those flavors, you get a delicious homemade meal that comes together easily, is full of lean protein, vitamins, and minerals, and has a flavor that no one can say no to. Even kids love this salad.
Why You’ll Love This Grilled Chicken Salad
- The grilled chicken is juicy, tender, and full of flavor thanks to the marinade.
- It’s easy to make and only uses simple ingredients.
- It’s a fantastic summertime salad recipe that everyone loves.
Grilled Chicken Salad Tips and Variations
This is a salad, so there aren’t many tips. It’s very hard to flub this one. I still have a couple of tips, though. I also have a few variations that you can use to make this a different salad every time.
- Thoroughly dry your lettuce and vegetables after washing them to prevent your salad from being watery.
- If you don’t have a grill, you can use a stovetop grill pan to get the same grilled appearance.
- Make this salad with beef or pork if you like. You can also try it with fresh salmon or shrimp.
- You can use your favorite green with this recipe. Spring mix is nice, as is spinach.
- Add even more of your favorite garden vegetables, like corn or avocado, to this salad for more crunch, flavor, and health benefits.
- Add diced red onions for a bolder flavor.
- Toss in chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds for a nutty flavor.
- Use your favorite dressing. A vinaigrette is a great option if you like to keep things light.
Grilled Chicken Salad FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this salad recipe.
How long does chicken need to marinate?
You can marinate chicken for 30 minutes to 4 hours. The longer you marinate the chicken, the more flavorful it will be.
Can you make salad ahead of time?
Lettuce-based salads should be made just before serving as the lettuce can get wilted.
How do you grill without a grill?
The easiest way is to invest in a grill pan. While you won’t get the same flavor, you will get the same grill marks.
Are grilled chicken salads good for you?
It depends on the ingredients. My grilled chicken salad is relatively healthy, although the croutons and ranch dressing are high in calories. For a lighter, healthier version, you can omit the croutons and use a vinaigrette or type of olive oil based dressing.
What goes with grilled chicken salad?
This salad is an entire meal all on its own. However, if you want to serve something with it here are some great pairings.
- Fruit salad
- Sweet potato chips
- Carrot fries
- Frosted radishes
- Cauliflower tots
How many calories are in a grilled chicken salad?
That’s largely dependent on the salad ingredients. Salads with heavier dressings and add-ins will have more calories than a lighter salad made with a vinaigrette. My salad is 478 calories per serving without the ranch dressing.
How to Store Grilled Chicken Salad
I don’t recommend making more of this salad that that will be eaten in one sitting. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container for a couple of days. Be sure you store the salad without the dressing on it.
Grilled Chicken Salad Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this salad. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Good Season’s Italian dressing
- Vegetable oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Romaine lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Texas toast croutons (or your favorite brand)
- Ranch dressing
How to Make Grilled Chicken Salad
It only takes a few easy steps to make this salad. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Prep
Wash, dry, and prep your vegetables, chop the Romaine, halve the tomatoes, and peel and slice the cucumbers. Slice the chicken breasts into 3 pieces.
Step 2: Marinate the Chicken
Mix the Italian dressing mix with oil, red wine vinegar, and water well, and pour over the sliced chicken. Then, place the chicken in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes to marinade ingredients together.
Step 3: Grill the Chicken
Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking it gently to remove any excess. Then, grill it on low heat on the grill or a grill pan until it’s thoroughly cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Set the chicken aside after cooking. Place chicken on a cutting board to dice.
Step 4: Make the Salad
Add the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and grilled chicken breasts to a large salad bowl. Then, top with croutons, any of your other favorite salad toppings, salt and pepper, if desired, and your dressing of choice. Enjoy!
Try This Delicious Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe Today
This grilled chicken salad is incredibly easy to make, and it’s so delicious. It’s the perfect combination if you ask me. Whip up this quick and easy salad for a weeknight dinner, weekend lunch, or as a nice side for a bigger family get-together. Once you try this salad, I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
Here are a More Salads to Try
Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad – This is a hearty, healthy, and delicious salad recipe that is loaded with chicken, bacon, ham, hard-boiled eggs, avocados, tomatoes, cheese, and drizzled with ranch dressing.
Crispy Chicken Salad – A delicious salad that is loaded with crispy chicken over a bed of fresh, crispy lettuce, and tossed in a homemade honey mustard sauce.
Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad – A crisp salad recipe that is topped with southwest chicken, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and crispy tortilla strips.
Also, try this BLT Avocado Pasta Salad from Deliciously Seasoned. This pasta salad is made with both pasta noodles and lettuce, fresh avocados, bacon, tomatoes, and a homemade avocado ranch dressing.
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 packet Good Season’s Italian dressing
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 heads of Romaine, washed and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 5 ounce bag Texas toast seasoned croutons, (or your favorite brand)
- Ranch dressing, as desired
- Add sliced chicken breasts to a gallon sized plastic baggie.
- Using a dressing bottle, mix the Italian dressing mix with oil, red wine vinegar, and water. Shake well to mix and pour over sliced chicken.
- Let chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and grill on low heat until chicken is thoroughly cooked through and has an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken breasts from grill and set aside.
- Add chopped Romaine, halved tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and grilled chicken breasts to a bowl.
- Top with your favorite toppings! (We used croutons and ranch dressing)
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.