Avocado Salsa Verde is a fresh alternative to some of the always popular fresh salsa recipes. It is a great topping on fish tacos or as a dip with chips.
Salsa verde is one of my favorite Mexican condiments to make. It’s easy, it’s full of flavor, and it can be used as a dip or as a topping. Talk about versatility! I love making all kinds of Mexican dishes. From classic tacos and burritos to flautas, taquitos, quesadillas, elote, and more, I’m a big fan of Mexican food. I especially love making salsas because they’re so simple, and everyone always loves them. And when I need a dip to satisfy the people in my life that love a big kick of heat, I always make this recipe. What makes this one so special is the addition of avocado. That cool creaminess is the perfect counterpoint to the hefty heat that I pack into my salsa verde.
Avocado Salsa Verde
This delicious salsa starts with the classic base of tomatillos and jalapenos. I give it even more heat with the addition of serrano peppers, as well. Then I season it with a few classic seasonings and temper that heat with the addition of avocado. Adding avocado makes every bite a bit more mellow, if no less hot, creating a flavor profile that’s extremely satisfying. I love to serve this as a dip or as a topping for tacos, burritos, and all of my other favorite Mexican dishes.
Why You’ll Love This Avocado Salsa Verde
- It’s made with fresh ingredients and incredibly easy to make.
- It’s super flavorful and great for tortilla chips and burrito bowls.
- It’s a fantastic topping for all your favorite Mexican dishes like burritos, tacos, enchiladas, flautas, or even on chicken and beef.
Avocado Salsa Verde Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you’ll find all of them at your local grocery store.
- Fresh tomatillos have a tart and slightly acidic flavor that pairs well with all the other ingredients in avocado salsa verde.
- Jalapeno peppers are know for their moderate heat and add a bit of spice to the salsa.
- Serrano peppers are also known for their hot and spicy flavor and give this salsa a more intense kick.
- Garlic adds a depth of flavor to the dish.
- White onion adds a bit of sweetness to the salsa.
- Salt helps bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Avocados add a cool creaminess that is the perfect counterpoint to the hefty heat.
- Cilantro add a fresh and flavorful finish to the salsa verde.
How to Make Avocado Salsa Verde
Making this salsa is so simple. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Roast the Garlic
Add oil to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Then, add the garlic cloves and roast until soft. Transfer them to a blender or Vitamix.
Step 2: Cook Tomatillos and Peppers
Add the tomatillos, jalapenos, serrano peppers, and onion to the same saucepan and cover with cold water. Then, bring it to a boil over medium heat and cook the vegetables until the tomatillos and peppers change color to a pale green. Drain the water, reserving 1/3 cup for later.
Step 3: Blend
Add the cooked tomatillos, jalapenos, serrano peppers, onion, salt, and reserved water to the Vitamix or blender and blend until smooth. Lastly, add the ripe avocados and cilantro and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Always wash your hands after handling hot peppers and NEVER touch your face.
- Turn the garlic frequently to prevent burning.
- Tomatillos will usually change color before the hot peppers. Simply remove the tomatillos with a slotted spoon and continue to boil the peppers and onion.
- Be sure to reserve the water from boiling the vegetables to thin your salsa. It adds much more flavor.
- Make a less hot version by using just jalapenos.
- Make a mild version by omitting both the jalapeños and the serrano peppers.
- Try adding a bit of lime juice.
What to Serve with Avocado Salsa Verde
You can serve this versatile condiment with just about everything. It’s perfect with chips, as a topping for all your favorite Mexican dishes, and even on beef, pork, chicken, and some seafood!
What is avocado salsa verde?
It’s simply traditional salsa verde with avocado added in for extra flavor and creaminess.
Why is it called salsa verde?
Salsa verde translates to “green salsa”, which is exactly what it is and how it got its name.
What is the difference between green salsa and salsa verde?
There’s absolutely no difference. Salsa verde means “green salsa”. So one is simply the Spanish name, while the other is English.
How long will leftover avocado salsa verde last in the fridge?
It will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze avocado salsa verde?
Absolutely. It keeps well for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Store Leftover Salsa Verde with Avocado
Store this salsa in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Try This Delicious Avocado Salsa Verde Recipe Today
This creamy avocado salsa verde is so easy and so delicious, you have to try it. With its intense kick of heat and the cool creamy infusion of avocado, it’s the perfect flavor combination for almost any use. Use it as a dip or as a topping on any of your favorite Mexican dishes or beef, chicken, pork, and seafood. However you use it, just use it! Once you make this, you’ll find that you’re always looking for reasons to whip up another batch.
More Delicious Types of Salsas You’ll Enjoy
Southwest Corn Salsa – Made with just a few simple ingredients, this corn salsa has delicious southwest flavors that are perfect for all your Mexican dishes.
Pico de Gallo – An easy, fresh, and delicious salsa that is so easy to make right at home and pairs well with a variety of Mexican dishes.
Creamy Avocado Salsa – An easy salsa recipe that is great to eat just with tortilla chips or with your favorite Mexican meal.
And, try this Jalapeno Salsa from Deliciously Seasoned. This is a recipe that uses six ingredients, but it loaded with tons of flavor.
Avocado Salsa Verde
- 6 tomatillos
- 4 jalapenos, stems removed
- 3 serrano peppers, stems removed
- ¼ onion
- 2 cloves garlic, roasted
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 avocado, diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a medium saucepan, add oil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic cloves and roast until soft. Remove and add to blender or Vitamix.
- In the same saucepan, add tomatillos, jalapenos, serrano peppers, and onion.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil over medium high heat until soft and the color has changed to a pale green.
- Remove tomatillos and continue boiling the peppers until pale green, if needed.
- Drain water, reserving ⅓ cup.
- Add the cooked ingredients, salt and reserved water. Blend until combined and smooth.
- Lastly, add the avocados and cilantro. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Serve with your favorite chips or top tacos, burritos, beef, chicken or your favorite Mexican recipes.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.
I love avocados and I love salsa, so why wouldn’t I really love this?!!
Great Grub, Delicious Treats
Hi John, I think you are going to love this! :)
Thank you for the 5-star rating! I truly appreciate it. I hope you enjoy this recipe.