Air fryer Mexican street corn is a delicious classic Mexican dish that is great as a side dish for summer barbecues, family gatherings, or when a craving hits. Mexican street corn is so easy to make and air frying frozen corn on the cob makes it even easier.
As I’ve said so many times on my blog, down here in Texas, we love our barbecue and we love our Mexican and Tex-Mex. Most people who aren’t super familiar with Mexican food think of things like tacos, burritos, and enchiladas when they think of Mexican food, but for those of us who grew up on this tasty fare, we know there are other options. One of the lesser-known Mexican treats that does not get enough love is Mexican street corn. I’ve been making it for years, and I’ve recently started making it in the easiest way possible – in the air fryer. It’s super simple and absolutely delicious, and I can’t wait to share it with all of you.
Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn
Mexican street corn is basically the best corn on the cob you’ll ever eat in your life. Ever. It’s loaded with delicious spices, cheese, sour cream, and more. Every bite explodes with the firm, juicy pop of perfectly cooked corn kernels along with creamy, tangy sour cream, queso cotija cheese, and the heat of chili powder and Slap Ya Mama seasoning. It’s a side dish that’s so good, you might just find yourself eating it all and skipping the rest of the meal altogether. That’s not a joke. I have done that!
Why You’ll Love Mexican Street Corn Air Fryer Recipe
- It’s so easy to make in the air fryer. It only takes a few minutes of prep and a few more of air frying.
- You get all that great flavor with a handful of simple ingredients.
- It makes one of the best side dishes you’ll ever have or just a snack!
Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn Tips
- Be sure you always thoroughly spray your air fryer basket to prevent sticking.
- Always preheat your air fryer for even cooking.
- If you don’t have mayo, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt. They taste almost exactly the same.
Mexican Street Corn FAQ
If you have questions about this Mexican street corn recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this dish.
What is Mexican street corn?
Called “elote”, which translates to corn cob, Mexican street corn is corn on the cob that’s been heavily seasoned and coated in butter and cheeses.
Why is it called Mexican street corn?
Mexican street corn gets its name because it’s a popular snack sold on the streets of Mexico.
What is elote seasoning?
The seasoning mixture used for elote – Mexican street corn – is made of a variety of spices and delivers a smoky, slightly spicy flavor with a sweet, but not overpowering aftertaste.
Can frozen corn on the cob go in the air fryer?
It sure can. In fact, this recipe uses frozen corn.
How to Store Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn
You can store any leftover elote in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 3 to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze your elote in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag for up to 6 months.
Air Fry Mexican Street Corn Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this super flavorful corn on the cob. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Corn on the cob
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Slap ya mama
- Chili powder
- Queso Cotija cheese, grated
- Optional, hot sauce and cilantro
How to Make Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn
Making this recipe is just as easy as gathering the ingredients. It only takes a few simple steps.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees and spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray like grapeseed oil or vegetable oil.
Step 2: Make the Coating
Combine mayo, sour cream, lime juice, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, and chili powder in a small bowl, stirring well. Then set aside while the corn cooks.
Step 3: Air Fry the Corn
Place the frozen corn on the cob in a single layer in the basket, then air fry for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping the corn halfway through cooking.
Step 4: Make it Elote
Carefully remove the corn using tongs and place them on a plate. Then, use a spatula to rub the mayo mixture over each ear of corn. Then, roll them in the grated cheese, sprinkle with hot sauce, and garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Try This Easy Air Fryer Mexican Corn Today
If you’ve never had Mexican street corn, then it’s high time you gave it a try. This air fryer Mexican street corn recipe is super easy to make and absolutely loaded with flavor. It’s the perfect side for almost any meal, especially one that’s heavy on Mexican flavors. Give it a try, and I know you’ll love it as much as I do.
Looking for More Easy Frozen Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Egg Rolls – These egg rolls are super crispy, crunchy, delicious and made in the air fryer. Only a few minutes of air frying and these delicious egg rolls are ready to be devoured.
Mini Corn Dogs in the Air Fryer – This EASY air fryer recipe is great for making frozen mini corn dogs. Again, only a few minutes of air frying and these little bite-size gems can be on the table.
And, here is a Frozen Steak Fingers in the Air Fryer recipe from Deliciously Seasoned you might enjoy too!
Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn
- 4 frozen ears of corn on the cob
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoon slap ya mama
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup Queso Cotija cheese grated
- Optional hot sauce and cilantro
- In a small bowl, add mayo, sour cream, lime juice, Slap Ya Mama®, and chili powder. Stir to combine and set aside while corn cooks.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with grapeseed oil spray.
- Place frozen corn on the cob in a single layer not overcrowding the basket.
- Air fry at 390 degrees for 10-12 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Using tongs, carefully remove ears of corn, place on a plate and insert corn holders, if desired.
- Using a spatula, rub the mayonnaise mixture over each ear of corn, then roll in the grated cheese, sprinkle with hot sauce and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your Pinterest boards.