Talk about a great pasta recipe… this is it! This recipe has been in our family for about 30 years and tastes so delicious! If you love pasta, then you should try this. A comfort food that has a wonderful mix of flavors, from the spices, to the sausage, to all the melted cheese, this dish is amazing!
Sometimes I will substitute sweet Italian sausage, instead of the hot Italian sausage, to give it a different taste. When making a large amount, you can double the recipe and use both types of sausage. Our favorite is the spicy flavor, it’s not very spicy at all, and tastes really good.
This is a favorite among our family and one that is constantly being requested. I recently asked my youngest daughter, Halie, if she could eat any type of food, from any restaurant, or from any place, what would it be? She said, “Your pasta!” I’m telling you all, this is super delish!!
- 1 16 oz box of Farfalle “Bowtie” Pasta
- 1 lb package of Hot Italian Sausage (crumbled)
- 8-12 oz mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil (any kind)
- Remove sausage from casing and add to large skillet.
- Crumble and cook over medium heat until done.
- Drain grease from sausage, reserving 2 tablespoons of grease. Set sausage aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of grease back to pan.
- Add chopped onions and garlic to pan. Saute onions and garlic until done.
- Add diced tomatoes to skillet with onions and garlic.
- Add basil, oregano, salt and pepper to the tomato mixture.
- Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add Italian Sausage to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large pan, fill with water, add oil and salt to pan.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Cook Farfalle “Bowtie” pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse with hot water and put back in pan.
- Add sausage mixture to pan with pasta.
- Add mozzarella cheese to pan and mix well until melted and well blended.
- Serve with salad, garlic bread, or just by itself.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!