February is a month of hearts, flowers, and love, and these Valentine cookies are just what is needed during this romantic holiday. Soft and chewy, these sugar cookies are so easy to make and are topped with a delicious buttercream frosting decorated for the holiday.
Valentine’s Day is just about my favorite holiday after Christmas. Actually, it’s probably tied. Whether I’m making treats for my guy or my kids, I love to give sweets to my sweets, especially when they’re both delicious and adorably decorated. That’s why I love making these super easy, super cute, and super tasty Valentine cookies. They’re as adorable as they are delicious, and my family always gets a big kick out of them. They’re a great way to show the special people in my life how much I care, and I think when you make them you’ll agree.
These Valentine cookies are so rich, chewy, and sweet. They start with a simple sugar cookie dough made with sour cream, so they bake up soft and chewy every time. After they’re baked and cooled, I top them with homemade buttercream frosting in Valentine’s Day colors and add festive Valentine’s sprinkles. The entire process is so quick and easy, and the cookies are always a big hit.
Why You’ll Love This Valentine Cookie Recipe
- They are so easy to make and being they are bite-size makes them great for a sweet pick-me-up throughout the day.
- They are bite-size and adorable and can be made for all the holidays by changing up the color of frosting and using different holiday candied sprinkles.
- They’re great for the kids, the kid’s school parties, or as a midday snack.
Valentine Cookies Ingredient
Everything you need for this simple recipe is either in your kitchen right now or a quick trip to the grocery store away. They’re all simple, basic baking ingredients.
For the Sugar Cookies
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Butter softened
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
For the Buttercream Frosting and Decorations
- Powdered sugar
- Whole milk
- Vanilla extract
- Red and pink gel food coloring
- Valentine sprinkles
- Coarse sugar
How to Make Valentine Cookies
Both the cookie dough and buttercream frosting are incredibly easy to make. It only takes a few simple steps, and even beginners can make these! And, no eggs are needed for this cookie recipe.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet(s).
Step 2: Combine the Dry Cookie Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Cookie Ingredients
In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sour cream on medium speed with a stand or hand mixer for one minute. Then, add the sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Step 4: Make the Cookie Dough
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient and mix on low speed just until the dough forms a ball.
Step 5: Bake
Roll the dough into ¾-inch balls and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Then, spray the bottom of a glass with nonstick cooking spray and gently press each cookie to flatten them a bit. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for 8 minutes.
Step 6: Cool
Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes. Then, transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
Step 7: Make the Frosting
Cream the butter, milk, and vanilla together in a medium bowl. Then, gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy. Divide the frosting into three bowls. Add red food coloring to one, blue to another, and leave the final bowl plain. Adjust your food coloring to reach your desired color intensity.
Step 8: Decorate
Generously frost the cooled cookies and sprinkle with festive Valentine sprinkles. Let the frosting set up and enjoy!
- This dough requires vigorous beating of the wet ingredients, so a stand or hand mixer is your friend.
- When combining the wet and dry dough ingredients, mix until just combined. That’s the secret to their soft, chewy texture.
- Fully soften your butter to prevent grainy frosting.
- A hand or stand mixer is the best way to make the buttercream frosting.
- You can make these cookies for any holiday or special occasion by simply changing the frosting color.
- Try adding toffee chips or white chocolate chips to the sugar cookie batter.
- Use plain buttercream frosting for a universal cookie perfect for any occasion.
What to Serve with Valentine Cookies
These cookies are wonderful with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. Try serving them with strawberry milk for even more Valentine color. Additionally, these cookies make a great addition to a larger dessert spread at your next Valentine party. You can even dip them into dessert dip if your sweet tooth is particularly large.
To decorate Valentine cookies, simply frost them evenly and sprinkle them with Valentine sprinkles. If you want to be extra fancy, you can use a piping bag and your preferred tip to frost dollops or other shapes on your cookies.
The foods that are universally considered to be the most romantic are:
Unfrosted sugar cookies will last for up to 2 weeks at room temperature. Buttercream-frosted sugar cookies will last for up to 3 days at room temperature or up to a week in the refrigerator.
If your cookies aren’t frosted they don’t need refrigeration. Frosted sugar cookies only need to be refrigerated if they won’t be eaten within 2 to 3 days.
These Valentine cookies freeze very well and will last for up to 3 months in the freezer when stored correctly.
How to Store Leftover Valentine Cookies
Store these cookies at room temperature in a covered container for up to 3 days. You can refrigerate them for up to a week in an airtight container, as well. For longer storage, place the chilled cookies in an airtight, freezer-safe container in single layers separated by parchment paper and freeze for up to 3 months.
Try These Easy and Delicious Valentine Cookies Today
These Valentine cookies are soft and chewy and loaded with rich buttercream frosting, and their fun frosting colors are perfect for the holiday! With a recipe this decadently delicious and ridiculously easy to make, you’ll fall in love. It’s so good, you’ll be changing up the frosting color for any occasion that you can think of!
More Delicious Valentine’s Day Recipes You’ll Enjoy
With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, these delicious Valentine’s Mini Brownie Bites are the perfect dessert to celebrate, or add to a wider spread of Valentine treats and desserts.
For the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly grease a baking sheet(s).
For the Cookies
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, oil and sour cream together on medium speed using an electric mixer, or a stand mixer, for one minute.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix on low speed just until dough forms a ball.
- Roll the dough into about ¾ inch size dough balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Spray the bottom of a glass with non-stick cooking spray and gently press each cookie to flattened them a bit.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter, milk and vanilla together. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the frosting into three bowls and add red coloring to one bowl, blue to another, and leave one bowl filled with white frosting. Stir the food coloring and add additional food coloring to get desired results.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, frost cookies with a generous amount of frosting, then sprinkle with festive Valentine sprinkles.
- Let the frosting setup then place cookies in a container for storing and place parchment paper in between the layers.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.