This delicious St Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies recipe is made with Chex cereal, white chocolate, pretzels, and lots of sweet treats as mix-ins. This a festive and delicious snack recipe the whole family will enjoy. Great for parties and a midday snack.
Muddy buddies are a great addition to any party year-round, and they also make great holiday treats because you can add colored ingredients to match the holiday. I’ve made this tasty sweet and salty snack mix for pretty much every holiday and throughout the year for no reason other than that they’re delicious. When my kids were in school, I made double batches on the weekends for sleep overs and as snacks to take to school with them. One of my favorite variations is this St. Patrick’s Day mix. It’s sweet and delicious, and the flavors work amazingly well together. You can’t beat an easy treat!
St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies
This mix starts with a muddy buddy variation of Chex coated with a mix of white chocolate and powdered sugar. Then, I add mix-ins that are both delicious and perfect for the holiday. Green and white mint chocolate M&Ms, Andes mints, chocolate mint cookies, mint dark chocolate M&Ms, green apple Jelly bellies, and mini pretzels come together to create a sweet and salty snack mix that’s out of this world. The mint and chocolate work perfectly with the white chocolate coating, and believe it or not, the apple jelly beans, too! You’ll be hooked after one bite!
Why You’ll Love This St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddy Recipe
- They’re festive and delicious, and they’re an easy snack to make for St. Patrick’s Day.
- The included ingredients are just the beginning. There’s such a huge variety of mix-ins that can be added to this mix.
- Everyone LOVES muddy buddies!
- Be sure your mix is absolutely cool before adding all the chocolate mix-ins. They’ll melt otherwise.
- Be sure you use a nice, big bowl so you have plenty of room to mix your ingredients.
Variations and Mix-In Ideas
There are a ton of different mix-ins you can add to this recipe. It doesn’t have to be any particular theme, so the possibilities are endless. Just a few ideas are:
- Use any variety of Chex you like. There are a ton.
- Try any of your favorite bite-size candies like M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, Skittles, and the like.
- Nuts work well in this mix.
- White chocolate chips
- Lucky Charms marshmallows
What to Serve with St Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies
Muddy buddies are delicious when served on their own or as part of a larger dessert spread. Serve these alongside your other favorite snacks like:
- Snack cakes
Are muddy buddies and puppy chow the same thing?
They are. They’re just different names for the same thing.
Do muddy buddies need to be refrigerated?
If eaten within 7 days, this mix doesn’t have to be refrigerated.
What are the different names they call muddy buddies?
This sweet Chex snack mix goes by several different names.
- Muddy buddies
- Puppy chow
- Muddy munch
- Monkey munch
- Doggy bag
- Reindeer chow (Christmas)
- Bunny chow (Easter)
Did puppy chow or muddy buddies come first?
While the snacks are the same, the name puppy chow came first. That’s because Purina was the company that originally made Chex. Yes, the dog food company we all know to day. So when this snack mix began being made in the 1960s, people called it puppy chow.
Who invented muddy buddies?
No one knows exactly who invented the recipe first, but it’s been a staple snack since the 1960s.
What is the difference between puppy chow and muddy buddies?
There is no difference whatsoever. They’re two names for the same delicious snack.
How to Store Leftover St Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies
Store this mix in an airtight container, or a gallon size resealable bag, at room temperature for up to a week or for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Rice Chex cereal
- White chocolate melting wafers
- Powdered sugar
- Holiday mint chocolate M&Ms (I used the green and white only)
- Andes Creme de Menthe thin mints (28 pieces), broke into pieces
- Mini pretzels or pretzel pieces
- Sconza® chocolate mint cookie bites
- Green apple jelly bellies
- M&Ms mint dark chocolate candy
How to Make St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies
Making this recipe is a breeze. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in just a few minutes.
Step 1: Prep
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside. Then, add the Chex to a large bowl and set it aside.
Step 2: Melt the Chocolate
Melt the white chocolate wafers in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each until smooth.
Step 3: Coat the Chex
Pour the melted chocolate over the Chex and stir to coat. Then, sprinkle powdered sugar over the mixture and stir again to coat evenly.
Step 4: Cool
Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and let it cool completely.
Step 5: Finish the Muddy Buddies
When the mixture has cooled add it to a large bowl and combine it with the remaining add-ins. Enjoy!
Try These Easy, Delicious St Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies
These St. Patrick’s Day muddy buddies are sweet, salty, delicious, and most importantly, super easy to make. They’re the perfect snack for the holiday, and everyone always loves them. You’ll love how easy they are to make. And with just a few tweaks, they’re great for any holiday at all! Give these a try, and get ready to fall in love.
More Muddy Buddy Recipes You’ll Enjoy
White Chocolate Puppy Chow (aka Muddy Buddy) – A quick and easy puppy chow recipe with white chocolate and powdered sugar-coated Chex cereal, mint chocolate candies, peppermint bark, chocolate chips and pretzels.
Valentine Puppy Chow Mix – This puppy chow features the classic chocolate, peanut butter and Chex cereal combination with Valentine theme candies and pretzels, and is the perfect treat for parties, potlucks or as an afternoon snack.
Easter Muddy Buddy Mix – An easy, delicious snack recipe, also knows as Bunny Chow is made with Chex cereal, chocolate, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and lots of our favorite Easter candy.
And, here is a Christmas Muddy Buddies recipe from Deliciously Seasoned you will enjoy too!
St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups white chocolate melting wafers
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 9.2 ounce bag holiday mint chocolate M&Ms I used the green and white only
- 4.67 ounce Andes Creme de Menthe thin mints 28 pieces, broke into pieces
- 1 ½-2 mini pretzels or pretzel pieces
- 5 ounce Sconza® chocolate mint cookie bites
- 3.5 ounce green apple jelly bellies
- 9.6 ounce bag M&Ms mint dark chocolate candy
- Anything green and white goes and all are optional
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Using a large bowl, add cereal, set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave white chocolate melting wafers for 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until smooth.
- Once smooth, stir and pour over cereal. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the chex mixture, stir to coat.
- Pour chex mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Let cool completely then add chex cereal to a large bowl and add chocolate mint M&M candies, M&Ms mint dark chocolate candy, Andes Creme de Menthe, pretzels, mint cookie bites, jelly bellies and anything else you’d like that is green and white. Gently stir and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.