These St Patrick’s Day cookies are soft and chewy, frosted with a delicious buttercream green frosting, and topped with festive candied sprinkles.
These delicious cookies are tasty, festive, and easy. It’s the perfect combo. The classic sugar cookie dough is loaded with Andes mint chips and topped with green buttercream frosting, so they’re as fun as they are delicious. I love frosted sugar cookies, and mint is always a winner. These are perfect to bring to Saint Patrick’s Day parties, school parties, potlucks or a midday snack. I double the recipe to be sure there are enough of these delicious cookies to feed my kids and their friends. Delicious treats like these always go fast especially with the buttercream frosting and all the festive sprinkles.
Once you make these cookies, they’ll go fast at your home, too. No one can say no to all that delicious, frosted goodness!
St Patrick’s Day Cookies
These delicious cookies start with a classic sugar cookie dough that bakes up soft and chewy. Then, I add Andes mint chips for a blast of minty flavor and burst of green color. Finally, I top the cookies with green, homemade buttercream frosting and fun Saint Patrick’s Day sprinkles. What I end up with are cookies that explode with flavor in every bite and just scream Happy Saint Patrick’s Day. If I bring these to parties, I’ll double or triple the recipe. That’s how good they are!
Why You’ll Love These St Patrick’s Day Cookies
- The cookies are soft and chewy, and the frosting is absolutely delicious.
- They can be decorated for any and all special occasions.
- They’re perfect for school parties, potlucks, or snacks!
- Be sure your butter is fully softened to avoid any little raw bits of butter in the dough.
- Don’t bake the cookies longer than indicated and let them cool on the rack for the full 5 minutes to achieve perfectly baked cookies every time.
- Be sure the cookies are completely and totally cool before frosting them.
- Omit the frosting and mints for a classic, plain sugar cookie.
- Change the color of the frosting and the sprinkles to match any holiday or special occasion.
- Try adding toffee bits in place of Andes chips for a different but delicious flavor.
What to Serve with St Patrick’s Day Cookies
Sugar cookies are delicious with a glass of milk or a cup of tea or coffee. These cookies are also delicious when served alongside other snacks like cookie bars, pies, and snack mixes at parties.
Do frosted sugar cookies need to be refrigerated?
Yes. These cookies are frosted with buttercream which is made from butter. For both safety and the best quality, these cookies should be refrigerated.
How long will sugar cookies last?
Sugar cookies themselves will last for up to 2 weeks at room temperature in an airtight container. However, these frosted sugar cookies will last for about 5 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Can you freeze sugar cookies with frosting?
Yes, you can. They’ll last for up to 3 months in the freezer when stored properly.
How to Store St Patrick’s Day Cookies
Store these cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze them for up to 3 months. Open-air freeze the cookies for 30 minutes until the frosting is hardened. Then, place the cookies in single layers separated by parchment paper in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
St Patrick’s Day Cookies Ingredients
These delicious cookies use simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. You probably have most of them in your kitchen right now. The actual measurements are in the recipe card at the end of the post.
For the Cookies
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Andes Creme de Menthe Baking Chips
For the Frosting
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Green gel food coloring
- Any St Patrick’s day sprinkles (I used Decopac St. Patrick’s Day Fusion Mix Candy sprinkles)
- Green sugar sprinkles
How to Make St Patrick’s Day Cookies
Both the cookies and the frosting are very easy to make. These cookies may look fancy, and they are definitely festive, but they’re also so easy to make!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Beat softened butter, oil, and sour cream with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute in a large bowl. Then, add the sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat until smooth.
Step 4: Make the Dough
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients on low speed until it forms a ball of dough. Then, stir in the Andes baking chips.
Step 5: Place and Bake
Use a 1 ½-inch cookie scoop to scoop out balls of dough and place them on the baking sheet. Don’t smooth them out. Then, spray the bottom of a glass with nonstick spray and use it to press the dough balls down a bit to make even more rough-looking edges. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the edges are slightly browned.
Step 6: Cool
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 7: Make the Buttercream Frosting
Cream the butter, milk, and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl. Then, gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy. Add the green food coloring gel a little at a time until you reach the desired intensity of green.
Step 8: Decorate the Cookies
Frost the cooled cookies with a generous amount of frosting. Then, sprinkle them with green sugar sprinkles and Saint Patrick’s Day sprinkles. Let the frosting set and enjoy!
Try These Delicious St Patrick’s Day Cookies Today
These St Patrick’s Day sugar cookies are so easy to make, and they’re so sweet and delicious. With the combination of classic sugar cookie dough, mint baking chips, and tons of sweet buttercream frosting, these cookies are always a winner. Whether you use this exact recipe for Saint Patrick’s Day or switch up the colors and sprinkles for a different occasion, there’s never a wrong time to bake these cookies. Give them a try, and I’m sure you’ll agree!
More Delicious Holiday Themed Treats You’ll Enjoy
St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies – This muddy buddy recipe is loaded with all the delicious goodness related to St. Patrick’s Day. Chex cereal, white chocolate, pretzels and lots of sweet treats as mix-ins.
Valentine Sugar Cookies – These Valentine cookies are the perfect cookie recipe for Valentine’s Day. Soft and delicious, and frosted with a delicious buttercream frosting and candied sprinkles.
Easter Sugar Cookies – These sugar cookies are festive and the perfect sweet treat for the Easter holiday. These cookies are fun to make and the kids love to help decorate them.
And, here is some Valentine Crack, from Deliciously Seasoned, that you will enjoy as well. An easy toffee recipe that is festive and easy to make.
St. Patrick’s Day Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly grease a baking sheet(s).
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a large bowl, add softened butter, oil and sour cream, and beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Add sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix on low speed just until dough forms a ball. Next, stir in the mint baking chips.
- Using a 1 ½-inch cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough and place on the prepared baking sheet. Leave the rough looking edges.
- Using the bottom of a glass, that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, flatten each cookie a bit to produce even more of the jagged edges.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool for 5 minutes and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter, milk and vanilla together. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add gel coloring, stir, and add additional food coloring to get desired results.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, frost cookies with a generous amount of frosting, then sprinkle with green sugar sprinkles, and any St. Patrick's Day sprinkles.
- Let the frosting setup then place cookies in a container for storing and place parchment paper in between the layers.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.