These homemade pretzel twists are a soft version of he traditional hard pretzel. They are sprinkled with coarse salt and baked until golden brown. With this recipe, these soft pretzels are made at home without a bread machine.
One of my favorite snack foods is soft pretzels. I’m talking about the big ones that you get at fairs and other outdoor events. You know the ones. They’re so soft and pillowy on the inside, and they’re delicious when dunked in melted butter or mustard sauce. Oh, they’re so good. One day, though, I realized that I didn’t have to wait to enjoy those delicious soft pretzels that I love so much. I’m a cook, after all. Why not just make them for myself? Let me tell you, these pretzels are just as good as anything you’ll get at your favorite outdoor event, and they’re so easy to make. It’s the perfect combination.
Homemade Pretzel Twists
These delicious soft pretzels are made with a simple dough recipe that uses active dry yeast, so it requires no yeast proofing. It also only has one proof, and that only takes an hour. Aside from waiting for the proof, this recipe comes together quickly, so your actual prep time is very low. That’s great because the only thing better than a delicious recipe is a delicious recipe that’s super easy, and that’s exactly what these soft pretzels are! They’re perfect with melted butter or mustard sauce, and they make a great appetizer or snack.
Why You’ll Love These Homemade Pretzel Twists
- They’re soft, homemade, and only take a few simple ingredients.
- Everyone loves soft pretzels, and you can make these at home in your own kitchen whenever you crave homemade pretzels.
- You can even freeze them to enjoy later!
Homemade Pretzel Twists Ingredients
This recipe only uses a few simple ingredients, most of which are already in your kitchen right now. Anything you don’t have is readily available at your local grocery store.
- Active dry yeast
- All purpose flour
- Table salt
- Butter, melted
- Baking soda
- Large eggs
- Coarse salt, for topping
How to Make Homemade Pretzel Twists
Making these pretzels is actually very easy. The majority of the work is just mixing the dough and letting it proof, and the actual cooking is simple, taking only two steps.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Dough
Using the dough hook attachment, mix yeast, sugar, and warm water for about 3 minutes in the bowl of a stand mixer. Then, gradually add the flour, one cup at a time, followed by table salt and butter. Continue mixing until the dough forms a smooth ball. Knead the dough for 6 to 8 times.
Step 3: Proof
Lightly spray a large mixing bowl with nonstick spray and place the dough ball into the bowl. Cover with a light kitchen towel and let the dough rise for about an hour until it doubles in size.
Step 4: Make the Twists
Punch the dough down and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Then, cut the dough in half and cut each half into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 14-inch long strip. Then, fold each strip of dough in half and twist the dough over itself. Pinch the end to seal.
Step 5: Boil the Twists
Bring water and baking soda to a boil in a large pot over medium heat. Then, place one or two pretzel twists into the water for 30 seconds, flip, and keep in the water for another 20 seconds.
Step 6: Bake the Twists
Remove the twists with a slotted spoon and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the twists with egg and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Then, bake them for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Proof your dough in a warm place so that the dough rises adequately.
- Don’t keep your pretzels in the boiling water for too long. The water isn’t used to cook the twists, it’s used to give the pretzels their distinctive color and crunchy exterior.
- It’s important to mix the water and yeast for a few minutes so it can fully activate.
- You can cut the dough into cubes to make soft pretzel bites.
- Cut the strips to half their size and make soft pretzel sticks.
- Fold the pretzel dough strips into the classic pretzel shape before baking.
What to Serve with Homemade Pretzel Twists
These soft pretzel twists are perfect as a snack when served with butter, mustard, or your favorite dipping sauce. They’re also the perfect addition to any party or gameday table as part of a larger appetizer spread. Some other great pairing ideas include:
- Melted butter
- Honey mustard
- Cheddar cheese sauce
- Pizza sauce
- Nacho cheese
- Caramel sauce
Who invented pretzels?
The popular story is that around 610 CE, a monk in Northern Italy was preparing bread for Lent, and he used the leftover dough to create the pretzel shape.
What is a pretzel twist?
A pretzel twist is a length of pretzel dough that has been twisted around itself to create a twisted, braid-like shape.
Why do you dip pretzels in baking soda before baking?
Baking soda is what causes pretzel dough to get golden and crispy on the outside while remaining chewing on the inside.
Why do you boil pretzels before baking?
Pretzels aren’t boiled as a cooking method. Rather they’re bathed in a mixture of boiling water and baking soda. That mixture is what causes the pretzels to bake up crispy and golden on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Do you boil pretzels in baking soda or baking powder?
Baking soda, not baking powder, is used in the water bath for pretzels.
How to Store and Reheat Homemade Pretzel Twists
Store the pretzels in an airtight container for up to 4 days at room temperature. For longer storage, they can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the pretzels, bake them at 350 for about 5 minutes. To reheat from frozen, bake them at 350 for about 10 to 12 minutes.
Try These Delicious Homemade Pretzel Twists
These easy delicious homemade pretzel twists use simple ingredients and simple steps to make delicious, soft pretzels that are simply delicious. They’re full of all the flavor and texture that we love in our favorite fair and gameday treat, and you can make them easily at home. Give these twists a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making them again and again.
More Delicious Recipes with Pretzels
Blackberry Cream Cheese Dessert – A sweet dessert made with a salty pretzel crust, blackberries, and a sweet cream cheese layer. A light dessert that is great for any season.
Homemade Soft Pretzels – Another easy and quick way to make soft pretzels right at home.
Pineapple Pretzel Salad – A sweet and salty dessert made with a pretzel crust, a sweet cream cheese mixture, and crushed pineapples. A light and refreshing recipe that is great to serve for any occasion.
And, Soft Pretzel Bites from Deliciously Seasoned. These are salty, crunchy, and the perfect bite sized pretzels for parties or get togethers.
Pretzel Twists (Soft Pretzel Recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 450° after the dough has risen, and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, with the hook attachment, add yeast, sugar and warm water and mix until combined, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add flour, one cup at a time, followed by table salt and butter.
- Continue mixing until the dough forms a smooth ball.
- Knead dough 6-8 times.
- Lightly spray a large mixing bowl with non-stick cooking spray and place the dough ball into the bowl.
- Cover with a light kitchen towel and let rise until the dough doubles in size, approximately 60 minutes.
- Remove towel and punch dough down and transfer to a lightly floured surface,
- Cut the dough ball in half and then cut each half into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 14 inch long strip. Fold each strip of dough in half and twist dough over itself and pinch the end to seal.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, bring water and baking soda to a boil.
- Place one or two pretzel twists into the water for 30 seconds and flip over for another 20 seconds.
- Remove twists with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Brush each pretzel twist with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Place in 450° preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.