This pineapple pretzel salad has the best of both worlds in this pineapple dessert. A salty pretzel crust with sweet cream cheese filling and topped with pineapple pie filling and crushed pineapple. A winning combination when it comes to easy desserts, and this has all three, sweet, salty, and easy.
If you’ve never had fruit cheesecake salad, then you’re missing out. It’s commonly called salad but in reality, it’s just a super-simplified no-bake cheesecake dessert. But hey, I’m fine with calling it salad. After all, salad is healthy, right? I love to make this any time of year, but you’ll find it on my table or brought to get-togethers and potlucks most often during the summer months. It’s such a great treat during the warm weather because it’s so sweet and so cold. It’s divine.
Pineapple Pretzel Salad
This dessert is so amazing because it’s the perfect combination of sweet and salty. The pretzel crust itself is a blend of salty pretzels and sweet brown sugar. Then it’s topped with a delicious no-bake cheesecake layer. Finally, it’s topped with pineapple pie filling. It all comes together to create a sweet and salty trip to the tropics that everyone loves.
Why You’ll Love This Pineapple Pretzel Salad Recipe
- It’s the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
- It’s loaded with textures. Every bite is creamy, crunchy, and delicious.
- It is an incredibly easy dessert to make.
- It’s a favorite summertime treat.
Pineapple Pretzel Salad Variations
The great thing about this salad is that it’s so easy to play with. You can change things up to make it your own. I have some great ideas.
- Use your favorite berries or other fruits for this recipe.
- Use several berries for a mixed berry salad.
- Or, use homemade whipped cream in place of Cool Whip.
Pineapple Pretzel Salad FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about fruit salad.
What is pretzel salad?
It’s a layered dessert made with a pretzel crust, a fluffy cream cheese layer, fruit topping, and can even be topped with whipped cream.
Where does pretzel salad come from?
The first pretzel salad was a layered Jell-O dessert. The recipe was published in the 1960s in The Joys of Jell-O cookbook. It’s synonymous with southern states, however.
Can you make pretzel salad in advance?
Absolutely. The cream cheese layer is thick, so it won’t make the pretzel crust soggy.
What are the best pretzels for pretzel salad?
There is no best pretzel. Any variety will work because they’ll be crushed up. The only caveat to this is that the pretzels used should be plain. You don’t want to make your salad with honey mustard pretzels, for example.
Does the pretzel crust stay crunchy in pretzel salad?
It actually does stay crunchy for the most part. The cheesecake layer is thick, so it won’t leech liquid into the pretzels all that much.
How to Store Pineapple Cream Cheese Pretzel Salad
Store this salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Pineapple Pretzel Salad Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious dessert treat. You’ll find everything you need easily at your grocery store.
For the Crust
- Crushed pretzels
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Butter, melted
For the Cheesecake Layer
- Cream cheese, room temperature
- Powdered sugar
- Cool whip
- Pineapple pie filling
- Crushed pineapple
How to Make Pineapple Pretzel Salad
There are a few steps to this recipe, but they’re all very simple. It’s easy enough that even beginners can make it.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. Then crush the pretzels using a food processor or place pretzels into a sealable baggie and crush using a rolling pin.
Step 2: Combine All Crust Ingredients
Using a large bowl, add the pretzels, vanilla, brown sugar, and flour, stir. Then, add melted butter to the mixture and stir until combined. Spread the mixture into a smooth, even layer in the prepared baking dish, reserving, 1/2 cup of the pretzel mixture for the topping.
Step 3: Bake the Crust
Bake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool completely.
Step 4: Make the Cheesecake Mixture
Using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and beat until combined. Finally, add the cool whip and fold until just combined.
Step 5: Make the Pretzel Salad
Once the crust has cooled completely, spread the cheesecake mixture evenly over it. Top with the pineapple pie filling and spread evenly. Then, top with crushed pineapple and remaining pretzel mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Try This Delicious Pretzel Salad with Pineapple Today
This pineapple pretzel salad is the perfect treat for warm weather. Loaded with the tropical taste of pineapple and a rich, creamy, sweet and tangy cheesecake layer spread over a salty pretzel crust, this dessert is a fantastic combination of flavors and textures. Make it once, and you’ll find yourself making it again and again. So give it a try. I guarantee it’ll be your new favorite.
More Delicious Easy Dessert Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Apple Cinnamon Pretzel Salad – This delicious pretzel salad is made with fresh apples, cinnamon, cream cheese and has a pretzel crust. A sweet and salty dessert recipe that is absolutely delicious.
Strawberry Pretzel Dessert – Another sweet and salty dessert recipe that is super easy to make, that has a sweet cream cheese filling, topped with strawberry pie filling and fresh strawberry slices, all on a pretzel crust.
Blackberry Cream Cheese Dessert – This simple dessert recipe is also a family favorite dessert recipe that is super easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious. Perfect for summer get-togethers, potlucks, parties or backyard barbecues.
And, here is a Peach Pretzel Salad, from Deliciously Seasoned, made with fresh peaches and peach Jello, a pretzel crust and a sweet cream cheese filling
Pineapple Pretzel Salad
- 2½ cups crushed pretzels
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounce cool whip
- 21 ounce can pineapple pie filling
- 15 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat the oven to 375° and lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
For the Pretzel Crust
- Crush pretzels into small pieces using a food processor or a large sealable baggie and crush with a rolling pin.
- In a medium bowl, add pretzels, vanilla, brown sugar, and flour. Stir.
- Melt butter and add to the pretzel mixture. Stir until combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. Press into an even, smooth layer (saving ½ cup of pretzel mixture for the topping).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, remove and let cool completely.
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese for 2-3 minutes until smooth then add powdered sugar. Beat until combined and add cool whip. Mix until just combined.
- Once the crust has cooled completely, spread cream cheese mixture over the pretzel layer.
For the Pineapple Topping
- Top with pineapple pie filling and spread evenly, followed with crushed pineapple and the remaining pretzel mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite dessert board on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.