This delicious and cheesy pepperoni pizza bread is a delicious twist to the classic pizza recipe. Made with hoagie rolls and fresh mozzarella cheese, these individual pizza breads are sure to please all the pizza lover’s out there.
Pizza bread is one of the most popular snacks out there. There’s a good reason for its popularity. It’s amazingly delicious! As always, I love putting a spin on a classic. You’ve probably had pizza bread made with something like Italian or French bread, but have you ever had it made with hoagie rolls? If you haven’t, then get ready for a great new way to enjoy a classic!
I used to make this delicious pizza bread variation all the time when my kids were in school. It was just one of the many recipes that my children and their friends would descend upon like locusts after school. The thing is that it’s so good, I still make it just as often as I ever did!
Pepperoni Pizza Bread
I begin this recipe by roasting my own garlic. It’s easy to do and adds so much flavor. I use it to make roasted garlic butter that I slather all over the rolls before baking them to golden, crispy perfection. This adds depth of flavor AND keeps the pizza bread from getting soggy. After that, I top the rolls with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, and two kinds of pepperoni for the ultimate pepperoni pizza flavor. Then, I just bake it until melty and scarf it down! Oh, it’s so good.
Why You’ll Love This Pepperoni Pizza Bread Recipe
- It has fresh mozzarella, mini pepperonis, pepperoni chunks, and seasoned garlic butter on hoagie rolls.
- It’s a hearty, delicious, easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love and enjoy.
- Add all your favorite pizza toppings.
Pepperoni Pizza Bread Ingredients
This delicious pepperoni pizza bread only uses a few simple ingredients.
- Submarine rolls or hoagie rolls
- Head of garlic, roasted
- Olive oil
- Pizza sauce
- Fresh mozzarella
- Mini pepperonis
- Boar’s Head pepperoni
How to make Pepperoni Pizza Bread
The recipe might sound complicated, but it really only has a couple of moving parts. In reality, it only takes a few simple steps to make.
Step 1: Roast the Garlic
Cut off the top ¼ of a garlic bulb and place it on a 5×5 piece of foil. Then, drizzle it with olive oil, sprinkle it with salt, and fold the foil up tightly around the bulb. Air fry at 390 for 20 minutes or bake at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour.
Step 2: Make the Garlic Butter
When the garlic is cool enough to handle, remove it from the foil and squeeze the garlic out of the bulbs into a small bowl. Add the softened butter, oregano, and basil and mix until combined.
Step 3: Toast the Rolls
Spread the garlic butter over the inside of the rolls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 4: Add Toppings
Remove the bread halves and spread top them both with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, and both types of pepperoni.
Step 5: Bake
Bake again at 400 degrees for 12 to 16 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Be careful not to cut too much of the garlic bulb off. You only need to cut far enough down to allow you to easily press the roasted garlic out after it’s finished cooking.
- Fully soften the butter so all the garlic and herbs can be easily combined.
- Be sure you cut your pepperoni into small chunks so they get hot on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- If you decide to use another meat like Italian sausage, fully cook the meat first so it’s fully cooked and wont’ make a greasy mess of your pizza bread.
- Use can use any of your favorite cheese varieties for this recipe.
- Top your pizza bread with other favorites like sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, bacon, and olives.
- Add a kick of heat with some red pepper flakes in the garlic butter.
What to Serve with Pepperoni Pizza Bread
You can make a full meal of this pizza bread, or you can serve it as part of a larger Italian-themed dinner. Try pairing it with garlic bread, cheesy bread, mozzarella sticks, cheesy bread, pasta, and the like.
You can use pita bread, naan, crescent dough, Italian bread, French bread, hoagie rolls, or even English muffins in place of pizza dough.
There is no real single kind of bread used for pizza bread. Italian and French bread are used primarily, but sub rolls, hoagie rolls, and other types of bread like English muffins are also used for pizza bread.
I don’t recommend making this pizza bread in advance. Although it can be reheated relatively well, it’s never as crunchy, melty, and delicious as it is when it’s straight out of the oven.
While both pizza dough and bread dough are made with salt, water, oil, and flour, the ratios are quite different to achieve their different goals. Bread dough is designed to rise high and has more water content than pizza dough which is intended to rise but not nearly to the level of bread dough.
Pizza bread freezes well and will last for up to 3 months when stored correctly.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Pepperoni Pizza Bread
Refrigerate this pizza bread in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, place the pizza bread on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted again.
Try This Delicious Pepperoni Pizza Bread Recipe Today
This pepperoni pizza bread is as easy to make as it is delicious. Even roasting the garlic is a snap! With so much buttery, garlicky, pizza-licious flavor, this is one of the best pizza bead recipes you’ll ever make. Try it just once, and you’ll be hooked. It’s perfect for almost any occasion so give it a go!
More Delicious Pizza Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Hot Italian Sausage Pizza Roll Ups are a delicious and easy dinner recipe or can be served as an appetizer. Lots of cheese, perfectly seasoned sauce, and sausage wrapped up in pizza crust and baked to golden perfection.
Pepperoni Pizza Bread
- 6 submarine rolls or hoagie rolls, each cut in half lengthwise
- 1 head of garlic, roasted
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 14 ounce pizza sauce
- 16 ounce fresh mozzarella
- 5 ounce mini pepperonis
- 6.5 ounce Boar’s Head pepperoni, cut into small chunks (might only use half)
Roast Garlic in the Air Fryer or Oven
- Slice ¼ off the top of the garlic bulb and place it in a 5×5 piece of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt.
- Fold up the foil tightly, and place in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 390°. Carefully remove and let cool.
- To cook the garlic in the oven, cook at 400° for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, remove foil and squeeze the garlic out into a small bowl. Add softened butter, oregano, and basil, and mix together with a fork.
- Spread garlic butter mixture over the inside of all the rolls.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the bread halves on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Assemble the Pizza Bread
- Spread pizza sauce over each half.
- Add fresh mozzarella, top with both types of pepperonis, and bake for 12-16 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.